cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cymeie
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,272
Message 1 of 3

Brand new Legion y520 freezing randomly.

Hello.

I've had my new laptop for just 8 days and it has frozen on me at least once everyday since i got it. When it freezes, nothing works, one thing i can do is to perform a hard shutdown by pressing down power button.

When it is freezing I can hear its work, however the image and sound entirely are stopping.

All drivers are up to date. I checked that by using "Lenovo Companion". I checked state of the system as well and everything was "OK".

Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Product name: Lenovo Y520 15IKBN  type: 80WK

Operating system: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-bit)

chinhchilla
802.11n
Views: 1,199
Message 2 of 3

Re: Brand new Legion y520 freezing randomly.

Hey,

You might have the same issue as my Y520 - a bad motherboard. The freeze usually occurs when I'm watching videos or playing games but is extremely random and hard to replicate on command. The laptop doesn't seem to freeze if left on idle. I tried everything to get rid of the freeze (multiple recoveries and reformats, swapping the removable hardware, updating drivers, logging temperatures and events) to no avail. If you contact Lenovo, they'll probably ask you to go through the OneKey recovery steps first to reset your laptop. After that, if the freeze still occurs, then you can call them back to talk about further options. Since your laptop is still new, you can try to exchange it or otherwise you can send it to Lenovo Repair to replace the motherboard. The process took about 2 weeks for me (mostly shipping time since they completed the repair in a single day amazingly). My laptop hasn't been freezing since.

wobbly
Serial Port
Views: 116
Message 3 of 3

Re: Brand new Legion y520 freezing randomly.

Hey, did you solve your problem? I'm facing the same issue.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors