Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionGaming Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

6 Posts

10-14-2019

United States of America

18 Signins

125 Page Views

• Views: 125
  • Message 161 of 325

Re: Bring back fan control to the Legion Y740

2019-10-14, 22:43 PM

Thanks. Will take a look. However Jarrod's thermal only videos showed that the Y740 was heating up more than the Y540 and the Y540 was comparable to Acer Helios 300 when undervolted. I think he has two separate videos.

OwnorDisown also says this in the comments  of the video you linked me to". Otherwise they are pretty similar in terms of gaming thermals."

I game in very dark ambient environments only so I don't think 500 nits is going to help me all that much unless there are other upsides to it.

Options

48 Posts

08-07-2019

Portugal

78 Signins

486 Page Views

• Views: 486
  • Message 162 of 325

2019-10-15, 8:21 AM

The y740 has a better build quality, it also has those small things that makes it a premium laptop like the thunderbolt port, the all aluminum body or the RGB lighting, you can have a y740 with the 300 nits, 144 Hz FHD screen, the 500 nits panel is optional, you also have the option for the high end graphics 2070 mq and 2080 mq that are not available in the y540. That said, the y540 is cheaper, that is defenitly somenthing to consider.

I have a 17.3" Y740 with the 2070, and the 300 nits screen, and it is a fantastic machine, I couldn't recommend it more, you have to decide for yourself witch factors are more important in your specific case, either way I think you will be happy with your purchase.

Options

6 Posts

10-14-2019

United States of America

18 Signins

125 Page Views

• Message 163 of 325

2019-10-15, 8:27 AM
Sure. I'll look into the 740 as well before I buy either. I am still trying to figure out whether this thermal/max fan issue is a deal breaker for me.

I am assuming going back to 1.03 BIOS with Intel 9th Generation for both Y540 and Y740 should do the trick apart from undervolting?

Is there anything else I should be doing apart from the above two. Are there any guides that explain what else to do. I'll possibly get a cooling pad as well
Options

48 Posts

08-07-2019

Portugal

78 Signins

486 Page Views

• Message 164 of 325

2019-10-15, 9:34 AM

You must understand that there are not really cooling problems, at least in my Y740, 1, it's just that people are upset the max fan option, that was previously available, was removed, in fact the cooling solution is quite good, it cools better than most laptops in the market.

You have those 3 cooling modes, quiet, balanced/auto and performance, I use the balanced mode for normal use, withch in my case is heavy load with a second screen, local servers running, dozens of tabs opened in my browser and 2 IDE's running as well as Postman, MySql servers and git clients, and it does it all without breaking a sweat, for gamming I go for the performance mode. The quiet mode only when on battery and only sometimes.

If you go for a high end graphics card you dont need much more fiddling, sure you can mess arround a bit, I do a 120 mV uv, a 195 MHz GPU core and 100 MHz VRAM overclock so I can get some more FPS only for the more demmanding games like Farcry or Battlefied, it really wasn't necessary, but since the graphics card keeps low temperatures exceptionally, I do it anyway.

Keep in mind that these undevolt and overclock options are case by case, even with the same specs.

You can also replace the thermal paste for a premium one, thermal pads or even liquid metal. ( liquid metal is a bit tricky to apply and can damage the board or chip since it is a conductor) But that's if you are confortable doing these things.

The cpu runs a bit hot, that is the nature of these Intel mobile CPU's they have a 21º Celsius safety threshold, the max teperature recommended is 116º and the CPU throttles at 95º, so it's very safe, the thing is, some people are not very confortable with those teperatures. As you can see online the CPU performance in these laptops with this thermal solution, when compared to other laptops, is stellar, that is one of the reasons I bought it, since I really need CPU performance.

If you want to keep the max fan option available is you already know what to do, the old BIOS option.

The cooling pad is allways a good thing to use if you want to. It surely won't hurt.

I see you have been watching Jarred's videos, those are a great source of info. there are many reviews you can watch like Jared Busch or Dave2D's, among many others, I wached them all before I bought my unit, if you have time, the more info you have, the better.

I still believe they will bring the option back, no one understands why they took that out, it is a blemish on an otherwise great laptop.

Options

97 Posts

09-13-2019

Finland

173 Signins

2016 Page Views

• Views: 2016
  • Message 165 of 325

2019-10-15, 14:52 PM

wrote:

The cpu runs a bit hot, that is the nature of these Intel mobile CPU's they have a 21º Celsius safety threshold, the max teperature recommended is 116º and the CPU throttles at 95º, so it's very safe, the thing is, some people are not very confortable with those teperatures.

Thank you very much for this little info! I always thought that max temp is 100c° so that is the reason I have been using Quiet mode for gaming (getting temps like 80-88c°) instead of more powerfull modes which heat the CPU in my case up to 98c° but if it still leaves that much gap to the max temp, I think I will start using Performance mode for games again.

Edit:

Oh, and I have Y540 simply because of the price and the fact that I dont need some of the things that Y740 has. (Like rgb keyboard, or G-sync.) I got mine from Lenovo Shop (9750H/2060/32Gb/512GbSSD/1TbHDD) for 1376,10 euros. I think with those specs it was a bargain. In Finland most laptops with those specs cost almost 2000,00e.

-A-J-
Options

48 Posts

08-07-2019

Portugal

78 Signins

486 Page Views

• Message 166 of 325

2019-10-15, 15:42 PM

Yeah it's safe, furthermore, above 105º, give or take, depending on the specific machine, the automatic shutdown kicks in.

These modern CPU's are next to impossible to break due to temperature.

Since most games are more GPU intensive, with some exceptions, lower CPU performance doesn't make the games much slower, but it's nice to have that extra power at hand. The power limits difference between performance and quiet modes is abismal... Furthermore, at least in the Y740 2070 mq, the GPU power limit rises from 80W to 90W in performance mode as opposed to the other two modes, so that is something to consider, I don't know if that also happens in the Y540 2060, you shoud investigate that.

It's a good machine you got there, the price is allways something to consider, and for that price it was a bargain, well done...

Options

6 Posts

10-14-2019

United States of America

18 Signins

125 Page Views

• Message 167 of 325

2019-10-15, 17:42 PM
Thanks for the detailed reply. Makes sense. I am mostly left deciding between the y540 and y740. I'll watch some videos on Overclocking the GPU like you mentioned. I only read about the CPU undervolt.

By the way I am getting conflicting information on the internet for this. Can I cap my framerate to 60Hz on a 144Hz display for some graphically demanding games somehow?

Also which benchmarks do you guys use to test out the temperatures and how much you need to undervolt by. I read about Cinebench and timespy. Will I NEED to play any game for better temp results or the two aforementioned benchmarks should be good enough
Options

48 Posts

08-07-2019

Portugal

78 Signins

486 Page Views

• Message 168 of 325

2019-10-15, 20:09 PM

These mobile GPU's are not very good for overclock, as you can see my overclocks are very light, the undervolt values vary, even in machines with the same specs, values arround -120 mV are the most common in this kind of CPU's. For monitoring you have the hwinfo64 software witch is very nice and detailed, the intel xtu software is also very good for monitoring, undervolting the CPU, it also has a benchmark, timespy is good, you can use that, I also like the unigine tests. Cinebench is better for CPU testing through image rendering, however, you should really test the laptop in real live usage, you can use de MSI Afterburner for in-game stats, there are many tests and benchmark software available but you should really use it has you would, normally, and see if it feels right, that, for me, is the most important thing.

As for the screen framerate, it is the 144 Hz, you cant' change it but I really don't see why you should want to do that...

Options

6 Posts

10-14-2019

United States of America

18 Signins

125 Page Views

• Message 169 of 325

2019-10-15, 21:57 PM
I wanted to have the option to cap framerate if my laptop was overheating trying to render more FPS than 60 for graphically demanding games. Don't know if that makes sense.

I'll check out the other apps you mentioned
Options

48 Posts

08-07-2019

Portugal

78 Signins

486 Page Views

• Message 170 of 325

2019-10-15, 22:13 PM

The component that heats the most is the CPU, the GPU does not have any heating problems in these machines, some games let you define the max framerate.but that is usually to save battery since a higher refresh rate is more battery consumming.

I don't really think that capping the screen refresh rate would bring you any improvement in performance or system temperatures, I could be wrong but I've never heard anything  about that solution.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms