Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Anastaciu
Fanfold Paper
Views: 326
Message 81 of 105

Re: Bring back fan control to the Legion Y740

@Jwolt1

That's not a common issue, the fans are actually pretty quiet, actually in my unit, the only sound I hear in moderate use is the HDD witch is located in the bottom right, if I remove it, I can't ear a thing, something is not right

The thread here is because of the fan boost option that was removed in the latest updates, and also for the new 9th gen models...

Jwolt1
Paper Tape
Views: 317
Message 82 of 105

Thats interesting, I did notice that it seemed that most people had trouble with the fans not being powerful enough, where in my case it seems that they area running too intensly. this is my first day with the computer so hopefully it will resolve itself as it seems too loud to be used in quiet rooms like librarys or places around campus, although i guess i have more pressing issues about protabilty like the power brick. 

Edit: for the record I have the config with the 1tb ssd so i am not hearing any HDD noises, just fan noises

Anastaciu
Fanfold Paper
Views: 308
Message 83 of 105

Maybe a fresh install can solve it if you are comfortable with that, the thermal solution is one of the strong points of the laptop as you can see in the many reviews out there, the flaw it has is the lack of control by the user...

Jwolt1
Paper Tape
Views: 306
Message 84 of 105

Right now it seems to be fine, i did move it to another desk and its isnt so loud but it may have been caused by first time setup or somehting, I'll just go the old person route and not try to find the problem unless it happens again

jbbankz
Fanfold Paper
Views: 280
Message 85 of 105

Got my machine today.  i7-9750,2070MQ,15".  I checked the bios, by default the discrete graphics is set and my machine shipped with bios. 1.05.  Im downloading MSI afterbburner, XTU, and a few games to test on steam tonight i will report back temps, fan, etc...

IF anyone has any questions or wants me to test something just let me know.

jbbankz
Fanfold Paper
Views: 239
Message 86 of 105

Well im running at a cool high 60's on both the GPU but more importanly on the cpu as you can see on the top left of the SS.  I was hitting almost 100 degrees and I tried several fans which didnt work but then I undervolted using thottlestop.  The SS below are my thottlestop values I used.  I did prop up my machine for better air fllow by maybee 1/3 of an inch.  

So far im really impressed.  Im glad I got this over the Asus Scar 3 as Im not an esports player so I dont nessesarily need 240hz screen.  Id rather have G-sync and 500 nits.  Yes the screen is shockingly bright. My screen has minor backlight bleed but its really superb in game. This is with stock settings and no fans, just an undervolt applied to the cpu clock and cache.   

As I said before, if anyone wants me to run any tests for them just let me know.  The SS is of the game SCUM. 

20190813230709_1.jpgCaptureTS.PNGCapturets1.PNG

jbbankz
Fanfold Paper
Views: 179
Message 87 of 105

With the 1.05 bios FN+Q turns fans to max on my 15" 9750H, 2070MQ. IS that what you guys are refering to?

Anastaciu
Fanfold Paper
Views: 171
Message 88 of 105

That's exactly it, I have the 8750h, with the 2070, before I updated my BIOS the Fn+q boosted the fans, as did the Ctrl+Shift+1, now the Fn+q changes the thermal mode between 3 modes, quiet, balanced and performance, and the Ctrl+Shift+1 does nothing...

code8
Fanfold Paper
Views: 169
Message 89 of 105

But that's the last BIOS where they allow FN+Q to max the fans iiuc
Anastaciu
Fanfold Paper
Views: 160
Message 90 of 105

@code8

what do you mean? what BIOS do you have?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors