Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jbbankz
Punch Card
Views: 1,110
Message 171 of 263

Re: Bring back fan control to the Legion Y740

When I first got my Y740/9750H/2070 I was using an undervolt to keep the temps in the 70/80s range.  I have since started using the TPL function in thottlestop which seems to give me the best performance. Im big into online mp games so every frame counts. 

ananaspizzamies
Token Ring
Views: 1,042
Message 172 of 263

Is there a limit on edits? My post just disappeared after editing it.

My FarCry 3 test results:

Quiet - CPU 87c° - 64-75FPS.

Balanced - CPU 95c° - 74-88FPS

Performance - CPU 99c° - 74-91FPS

So I will continue using Quiet mode until a game comes that will need other modes. I cant see the difference on 60 to 80 fps while gaming. When fps goes under 30 I think even I will know. So no need to push the CPU I think.

-A-J-
Anastaciu
Punch Card
Views: 1,035
Message 173 of 263

@ananaspizzamies

You are right, the CPU performance in quiet mode is more than enough to play most games since they normally don't need the extra CPU punch, however, the game you tested it on, Farcry is one of the few that really needs the CPU to perform, and it shows in your results, the 10-13 FPS bump you have between quiet and balanced is likely caused by the jump in the CPU power limits.

You must remember that the performance mode raises the GPU power limit from 80W to 90W (2070 max-q), so that can make some difference in GPU intensive games like Battlefield

Anastaciu
Punch Card
Views: 1,026
Message 174 of 263

@ananaspizzamies

Disregard the GPU power limit comment, since you have the y540 2060 I don't know the GPU power limit situation, sorry if I confused you...

ananaspizzamies
Token Ring
Views: 956
Message 175 of 263

@Anastaciu wrote:

@ananaspizzamies

Disregard the GPU power limit comment, since you have the y540 2060 I don't know the GPU power limit situation, sorry if I confused you...

It's OK. I don't know that myself either, but GPU is performing very well and stays cool in any mode so it is not that important to know for me.

But what comes to CPU I want to keep it little cooler than 99c° if possible so I will continue using Quiet mode until we get Max Fan back (or I ran into a game that does not perform in approx. 60fps with Quiet mode).

-A-J-
jbbankz
Punch Card
Views: 933
Message 176 of 263

Use throttlestop, you dont need to put it into quiet mode because your cpu temp is to high. Oh. and also set up msi afterburner so you know what the hell is going on with your system when your gaming.  It tells you everything you need to know to make adjustments to your specific system.  If your already using it great!

ananaspizzamies
Token Ring
Views: 914
Message 177 of 263

I will look into undervolting etc. when I buy a game which does not perform somewhere round 50-60FPS minimum with Quiet mode. Other games I have tried have had FPS round 100 (Doom) some up to 144 (BioShock Infinite) with Quiet so no need for me to start messing with things I do not know about. For now.

-A-J-
Starhowl
Paper Tape
Views: 846
Message 178 of 263

The fans can be quiet loud without headphones, especially in a social environment, like a library, when a game (e.g. "Pillars of Eternity") is running with 144Hz synchronization to the laptop screen, even when the laptop mode is set to quiet.

But when it's running on battery, then the game becomes capped at 30fps, which is enough in my opinion and the fans stay quiet. Isn't there a way to cap the game ("Pillars of Eternity" in my special case) to 30fps so the fans stay quiet?

The laptop somehow does this when running in battery mode, but how can I achieve the same thing with it's running on cable?

All of this with respect to activated hybrid mode.

jbbankz
Punch Card
Views: 832
Message 179 of 263

Its a high powered laptop, its going to make noise. If your going to be in a library I wouldnt bring a gaming laptop. This is a desktop replacement.  

I understand not wanting to make noise but this isnt the laptop for you if you need to be ultra quiet.  

To answer your question tho, you need the temps to stay really cool if you want it to stay quite.  I would download thottlestop and change the TPL settings to prevent the CPU getting to hot which is what causes the fans to kick in.  Start with changing long power max from 90 to 15 or 20 then change the short power max from 45 to 10 or 15 and work your way up.  Test the noise as you increase power to a point that is to loud then just use the last setting. 

I would also download HWmonitor CPUID so you can monitor all your temps or MSI afterburner like I have in the video above so that you can monitor your in game temps along with all the other data you need to make a informed decision about what settings you should be changing in thottlestop so that your noise levels stay down. 

Screenshot (15).pngScreenshot (14).pngScreenshot (13).png

Dhanunjay123
Paper Tape
Views: 569
Message 180 of 263

After updating the Lenovo vantage my air cooling fans are not working please help me to get it back.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors