Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionGaming Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

07-16-2020

Philippines

10 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 1 of 3

Can my unit still be saved?

2020-09-04, 4:30 AM

Just recently my unit, the Lenovo Legion Y40 15IRHg, stopped turning on. After a few calls from Lenovo customer support they redirected me to their main office to have it diagnosed for problems. After a few weeks of waiting, the results came back with a burned-in chip on the motherboard (the techs called it IC display chip?) which in turn affected and burned the LCD cable and LCD as well. I was troubled at first, but then they gave me part pricing should I want to replace said parts (apparently they have to replace the whole board on this, as well as the LCD and LCD cable) which made my jaw drop. LCD and LCD pricing was so far expected: Php 20000 (around $400~) and I was told mobos tend to be half the price of the unit, which I bought for Php 80000 ($1650~). That would put it at Php 40k right? Wrong, replacement part was for a whopping Php 170000 ($3500~)!!! I asked them what the heck happened that made the price that high and they just said thats just what it costs. Ill be **bleep**ed if I pay almost thrice the amount for a single part when I could literally buy 3 different new units for that kind of money. So I put off replacing the parts for now and am looking for possible solutions. I was thinking that maybe if I can find somewhere that sells the specific IC display chip, can I just ask a skilled enough technician to re-solder the part in the mainboard? Any other solutions are welcome please help me out! Thanks 

(Pics of burn in below)

Options

726 Posts

03-11-2020

Norway

81 Signins

4423 Page Views

• Views: 4423
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:Can my unit still be saved?

2020-09-04, 8:52 AM

Hi,

Welcome to the Lenovo forum community!

So, the problem with the unit is, the chip burned out, and that affected the lcd cable and the lcd itself, now, the issue is not isolated there, and other parts on the mainboard can be burned out as well, as a cause effect of too much current, so it will not be only to exchange that chip, but also locating the other parts that are damaged, this can be tricky, and expensive.

So only option is to exchange the board, now, have you looked at ebay, for replacement board? thats a possibility. Else, i would say, a new laptop is more likely, pricewise, because you already know the price of the new lcd and lcd cables.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

71 Posts

08-31-2020

United States of America

35 Signins

420 Page Views

• Views: 420
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:Can my unit still be saved?

2020-09-04, 12:23 PM

Most of lenovo's cost will be labor. Did you ask them what the cost of just the main board is to do it yourself? By the way, you cannot just replace a chip. Even if you could, it is likely others are damaged.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms