Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionGaming Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

09-03-2021

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

5 Signins

15 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 15
  • Message 1 of 5

Cant create files? Also can't change folder permissions?

2021-09-03, 23:44 PM

Hi all. Just received my Lenovo Legion 5 pro 16 today and I couldn't be happier. I already tested one high end game and it works perfectly. I do have one issue though which I don't really understand.

Apparently my user has no default access to creating files in the folders on my C drive. I can only create by default on my own user folder (i.e. desktop, documents, etc..)

I tried changing the permissions to C and all its subfolders, but that ends up on major bugs like the trash bin getting corrupted, windows start icon not working anymore, and more things... I have tried to fix this permission Issue 2 times now and both times I have had to force a factory reset...

I for the love of God can't understand why this Gaming laptop would arrive with this type of behaviour. Not being able to create even .txt files in C:\ProgramFiles\ it's... It's... Well it's stupid. And you can figure out how mad I really am being a software developer who planned on using this laptop to work on personal projects (which of course includes creating many many files!)

At the moment I'm downloading the latest windows version and forcing a reset with that, hopefully that will fix it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Many thanks,

Agustin

(Btw I love Lenovo.. I currently own another 2 Thinkpads and they're awesome.. I can't really understand why this is happening)

Options

5452 Posts

04-23-2019

United States of America

728 Signins

33440 Page Views

• Views: 33440
  • Message 2 of 5

Re:Cant create files? Also can't change folder permissions?

2021-09-06, 13:06 PM

Hello @Agusmagne ,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Based on the description of the issue it's quite possible that this is a problem with the Windows OS.

Since you're already downloading the update would it be possible to keep us posted whether or not the reset will fix it?

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Jack_Lenovo1

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

124 Posts

07-22-2021

79 Signins

1075 Page Views

• Views: 1075
  • Message 3 of 5

2021-09-06, 13:29 PM

I agree with @Jack_Lenovo1   on this, it is an administrator rights problem in Windows.

The best way to resolve this is to search for "get admin rights on my own computer" and follow the advice from the Microsoft Community.

It can be done by using the command prompt method or it can be done via windows user permissions, but there is plenty of info on how to do it.

LEGION-5-15ACH6H, 82JU002YUK, Ryzen 7 5800H + Geforce RTX 3070 16Gb Hyper X, WD Black NVMe, FHD 165Hz, BIOS 44ww.
Options

2 Posts

09-03-2021

5 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 4 of 5

2021-09-24, 21:29 PM

The weird thing is that it happens only on this computer. I have other laptops with the latest Windows10 version installed and everything works correctly.

I also have issues with the camera, calculator, Microsoft Store, and I'm getting an error about "LaunchUtilities.exe" which I have not installed, but the root of the file is within my WindowsApps so I guess this is somehow all connected. I had an error with MS stating that "I don't have permissions" to update or modify it. These applications won't even launch. Can't use my calculator, my camera, Microsoft Store won't open, and I don't know which other apps won't either. I know this seems like a Windows issue, but if this is the only computer that has it, doesn't that mean is Lenovo's Windows version? Or something to do with this specific instance of Windows? I guess Lenovo has a "customized" Windows 10 version and probably there lies the issue. Again, I have other laptops with the latest W10 version and works perfectly fine. It's not normal to format your PC from scratch and have restricted access to your ProgramFiles folder :S

Btw... the issue still persists. I found a workaround. But I'm still getting errors sometimes our of nowhere regarding this .exe I mentioned before. Calc, cam and MS won't work, and I guess with time I'll find more issues...

I don't want to download and install another version of Windows but I guess that's my only solution at this point.

Options

3 Posts

09-22-2021

India

8 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 5 of 5

2021-09-25, 5:47 AM

Step 1: Right-click on the folder that you are unable to access or save files in and then click the Properties option. Step 2: Switch to the Security tab. Under Group or user names section, click the Edit button to open the Permissions dialog. Step 3: Under Group or user names section, select your current user account.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms