cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
slim6y
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,851
Message 1 of 15

Caps Lock and Num Lock on screen display: How do you turn it off?

Lenovo Y720

So, when I hit caps ock or num lock an on screen display tells me whether capslock or num ock has been pushed. While I appreciate it is helpful for some, in my case it become a hinderance. You need to remove "num lock" for single key print screen request, and if I have a short time frame, I am stuck without being able to screenshot until the num lock indicator goes away. 

How do I turn off the on screen display. 

Now, before you send me to the previously asked questions of similar nature, I have tried. There is no "display settings" in Control Panel. There is no "advanced display settings" on the settings panel. And there is no way to control it through NVIDIA or Intel graphics settings (that I can see). 

Thanks kindly. 

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 5,806
Message 2 of 15

Re: Caps Lock and Num Lock on screen display: How do you turn it off?

It is probably being controlled by the Lenovo Utility, which has a keyboard hook that displays an onscreen notification when capslock or numlock is depressed.

To disable, you can just kill the Lenovo Utility process (utility.exe) using Window's Task Manager, and if you want to not have it run at startup, just disable it via Task Manager's Startup tab

Cheers,

Install Directory

C:\Program Files\Lenovo\LenovoUtility\utility.exe

Windows load point

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

slim6y
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,800
Message 3 of 15

Sorry... Should have said I turned the utility off and no difference. 

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 5,789
Message 4 of 15

Look for an application running called IHC service, and kill it from Task Manager.

I do not know where it loads from, it may load in the run key in the registry that I posted earlier, or as an actual service that you would have to locate in Services and Applications  from within Computer Management, or by running running servcies.msc, but I do not think it can be disabled via the Startup tab.

I would disable rather than uninstall it, because I do not think there is a way to re-install.

C:\Program Files\HIDKB

asmiscetc
What's DOS?
Views: 5,753
Message 5 of 15

I'm having the same issue. I believe I fixed it before by disabling Lenovo Utility.  It is still disabled, but today the caps lock notification started happening again. I recently did a Lenovo update, so that may have something to do with it.  Please help!  This notification is extremely annoying!

Hyperfish
802.11n
Views: 5,747
Message 6 of 15

You need to prevent the following program from running:

C:\Program Files\Lenovo\LenovoUtility\utility.exe

It is started due to the registry entry at:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

To do it, you can edit the registry directly or use the Autoruns utility from:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns

Uncheck the entry for LenovoUtility. Then, either restart your computer, or kill the utility.exe task manually (Ctrl+Alt+Del → Task Manager → Details).

slim6y
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,593
Message 7 of 15

Sadly, this does not appear in the programs at all. I will look for the exe and just change its name. 

slim6y
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,592
Message 8 of 15

Nope.... no entry using autoruns and no utility exe to find.
slim6y
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,591
Message 9 of 15

*bump*

Can anyone tell me how to turn off the on screen display of NumLock and Capslock on a Y720? 

I have tried the above, I have tried every possible option in the threads from previous questions. I have not been successful with anything. 

So this includes Display Properties, Control Panel, turning off utilities, using autorun to find utilities.... 

Hyperfish
802.11n
Views: 5,576
Message 10 of 15

I'm on the Y700 and don't have the latest drivers. Maybe Lenovo really changed something, although it feels unlikely (the utility on my laptop was written in 2015). 

Does your Caps Lock notification look like that:

Lenovo Utility Caps Lock Off.pngLenovo Utility Caps Lock Off Lenovo Utility Caps Lock On.pngLenovo Utility Caps Lock On

Also, do you get a notification when you disable the touchpad? (Fn-F6 on the Y700, possibly something else on the Y720):

Lenovo Utility Touchpad Off.pngLenovo Utility Touchpad Off

A plenty of other programs can show Caps Lock notifications but if something shows for the touchpad toggle, then it must be either from Lenovo or the touchpad driver (Elantech or Synaptics; Alps is not used for this model I think).

Still, if something shows, one of the running processes must be responsible for it.

Top Kudoed Authors