Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionGaming Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

9 Posts

08-01-2019

United States of America

17 Signins

138 Page Views

• Views: 138
  • Message 1 of 6

Defective y740?

2019-08-01, 17:42 PM

My Lenovo Y740, which I have bought 2 months ago, is suffering from thermal and coil whine problems. When gaming, the temperatures peak to 98 degrees Celsius and 50-55 degrees Celsius while idle, which is really strange because this device is often praised for its cooling. In addition, I keep blue screening, probably due to the high temperatures. Also when playing games, I can hear some serious coil whine inside the unit. Unfortunately, I am unable to send this laptop to the service center, as school is just around the corner and I need to use this for school. Is there any chance that I can receive a replacement and send my defective unit back when it arrives?

Options

17 Posts

08-01-2019

Canada

29 Signins

211 Page Views

• Views: 211
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: Defective y740?

2019-08-01, 23:14 PM

In my case, the CPU temperatures do not reach 98 degrees but I got this laptop on 26 July (writing this post on August 1st), and I think I am going to face similar issues to yours, as my temperatures currently can reach 93 max temperatures when playing Apex. I tried to downgrade a little the CPU power so the temperatures wouldn't get so high but still I could not.

I am pretty sure this is a downside of having a really thin laptop. Apparently MSI GS65 has even worse temperatures but maybe the sources are just favouring Y740, who knows.

Also, seems like many people has same problem with CPU temperature. It is gaming laptop (with the facts I know today, probably for a limit of 1 hour daily, so hardly I can call it gaming) but this high temperature makes me worried that I will end up with a nicely grilled laptop.

I've got similar question to Lenovo. Is there anyway I can fix the thermal issue of this CPU by any means like downthrottling the CPU, increasing the fan speed. I tried the latter method but there's no legit way to do it as Y740 has no option of controlling the fan speed unless I download a program that allows me to do that but as it is not from Lenovo I do not want to use it.

Options

79 Posts

04-07-2019

Italy

522 Signins

3031 Page Views

• Views: 3031
  • Message 3 of 6

2019-08-04, 9:03 AM

The only way to maintain acceptable temperatures during the game is:
-Undervolting the CPU.
-Use a stand to keep the laptop raised.
-Use the Fn + q function to set fans at 100% (unfortunately, this function has been deactivated with the latest bios update)

This way I can always keep temperatures always within 85 degrees Celsius.

Options

17 Posts

08-01-2019

Canada

29 Signins

211 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2019-08-04, 22:38 PM

In my case I can't control the fan speed :(
The fan speed increases as the temperature increases, and my BIOS version is 1.06. I've never updated it and I never had a real control over my fans. Very sadly, because temperatures are hitting really high.

Lately, I started to undervolt my CPU too. It did help. However, I've noticed some glitches during gaming in Apex Legends. For example, I was shooting to the player but this person was never there - He did not receive any damage.

The other glitch was when a player was 10 "meters" away from me, when he died his corpse appeared 1 meter away from me. So,  it seems like undervolting is not necessarily the best solution to this thermal problem as it causes other problems(if it is used inproperly as it is in my case). Also, I am not aware how does it affect warranty.

I am wondering if anyone here knows if it is possible to damage your CPU by undervolting it, or changing the undervolt value for specific tasks? And other question, what kind of behavior with the CPU can cause the damage to the CPU (undervolting aspect only)?

Options

79 Posts

04-07-2019

Italy

522 Signins

3031 Page Views

• Views: 3031
  • Message 5 of 6

2019-08-05, 9:35 AM

If you have bios 1.06 pressing simultaneously Fn + q will start the fans at maximum, if it doesn't work you probably have some other problems.

Undervolting the CPU cannot damage anything, it can only cause system crashes and instability if the set voltage is too low.
What are the values you use?

The glitch you describe is more like the symptoms of a bad connection than those of an overheated CPU.

Options

17 Posts

08-01-2019

Canada

29 Signins

211 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2019-08-05, 17:43 PM

At the moment I am using -100mv offset cache and -100mv offset on core. Previously, I had it both on -125, -150, -180.

On -200mv both, I had a crash while listening to music and being in a lobby in Apex Legends, so that was clearly unstable and I changed that.

The Fn+q only changes the thermal performance in the Lenovo Vantage application, but the fan speed still scales with the temperature of the CPU (full speed is always turned on when thermal throttling is on, however if it is not needed the fan speed is reduced)

And I agree, the game glitch was not the thermal problem, but could be undervoltage problem because I that was one of the glitches I've noticed while being on -200mv core and cache. Although, what do I know, I've never undervolted anything before.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms