Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
franman
Serial Port
Views: 946
Message 1 of 6

External HDD reconnects and disconnects

I'm using the Lenovo Y510p IdeaPad running on a Windows 10 OS and have been undergoing this persistent problem.

The enclosure is manufactured by ORICO and it has a single USB 3.0 data cable.  The mechanical hard drive is at 2.5 inches and is manufactured by Samsung under their Momentus line.

I've already disconnect and reconnect, same problem; tried swapping with another data cable (I only have two), same problem; I've tried different usb ports, problem still persists; I've changed my power settings in Windows 10 with 'Plugged in:' set to 'Never' in 'Turning off hard disk after' and under 'USB settings' -> 'USB selective suspend setting' when 'Plugged in' to 'Disabled', didn't solve anything; finally under 'Device Manager' I've unchecked 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' for all the USB ports under 'Universal Serial Bus controllers' under the 'Power Management' tab and I'm still undergoing the same problem again.

So there you have it.  I have tried all the following methods but the problem is still persistent; what other methods would you guys suggest that I have not listed yet?

MiketheCPA
What's DOS?
Views: 904
Message 2 of 6

Solution Re: External HDD reconnects and disconnects

I believe your problem may be caused by Windows 10 updates.  Everytime I get a major update I have the same problem.  The following has worked for me.

Step by Step Instructions – Fix Windows kicking my USB drive off the system after Windows Update.

5/2/18 Happened again after new Windows Update.  I've had this happen today (12/18/2017) after Windows 10 update. It also happened when I updated to Windows 10 from Windows 7. I used the following solution and it worked for me. I have a External USB HDD that is constantly running for the Windows Files backup. After the Win 10 update it would get disconnected after a certain amount of time. It started doing it again after this mornings Windows 10 feature update. Here is how I fixed the problem.

Summary Instructions (for experienced):

1)Find the device ID of your External USB HDD in device manager under USB Mass Storage Mine was USB\VID_0984&PID_0310 Use the device ID "09840310" to add a new registry entry.

2) Run Regedit and enter the information you obtained as follows: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\usbstor Add Key 09840310 In key add DWORD DeviceHackFlags Set value to 400 ﴾hex﴿

Step by Step for people like me (same procedure more details):

1) Device Manager:

Type Device Manager in windows command box bottom left of your screen.

Click and run Device Manager

Go down list and expand Universal Serial Bus Controllers

Right click on USB Mass Storage Device and select properties

Select Details Tab

Use Property Drop Down to select Hardware IDs

Copy this information - all you need is the device id numbers USB\VID_0984&PID_0310&REV_0305 = "09840310"

If you have 2 hardware ids copy both and do the regedit for both. I have a WD USB hard drive I attach for backups and it has a separate hardware id. You are done with Device Manager.

2) Regedit:

Type Regedit in the Windows command box at the bottom left of your screen.

Right Click on the Regedit Command and run as administrator. Yes to allow

Click the ">" next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE to expand the list

Click the ">" next to SYSTEM,

Click the ">" next to Control

Click the ">" next to usbstor

The Hardware IDs we obtained in step 1 should be listed under usbstor but probably are no longer listed or have only part of the hardware id such as "0984xxxx"

Add them as follows:

Right Click on usbstor, select New, KEY and enter your hardware id 09840310

Rick Click on that folder, 09840310 and select New, DWORD.

In the right screen name that DWORD entry "DeviceHackFlags" If you messed up, just right click on it and select rename.

Right Click on DeviceHackFlags and select Modify. Change the Value data to 400 and Hexadecimal selected, click OK

Close Regedit

You are finished.

franman
Serial Port
Views: 871
Message 3 of 6

Re: Solution Re: External HDD reconnects and disconnects

I took your advice and added the hardware id to the registry.  After a couple weeks just on a Sunday morning, I've experienced the same problem; it's now disconnected.

MiketheCPA
What's DOS?
Views: 864
Message 4 of 6

Is it possible you just got the new Windows 10 update?  The recent Windows update removed all my changes to the registry and I had to redo the above proceedures.

Mike

franman
Serial Port
Views: 858
Message 5 of 6

The only recent update I've got was Windows 10 antivirus definitions.  But I've checked the registry and the hardware id of my hard drive is still there.

franman
Serial Port
Views: 835
Message 6 of 6

I've tried this method and so far it worked; I used to plug that data usb cable to my usb hub which connects to my laptop's usb, but now instead I've plugged it directly to my laptop's usb.

I was looking up the website of the company who manufacturered my hard drive enclosure.

Based on this site, I have to plug the data cable to the rear end of the motherboard where the usbs are (You'll find the answer to question #4 in that link).  So I plugged it to any available usb 3.0 port on my laptop.

Update: NVM it disconnected again *sigh*

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors