cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hxnson
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,812
Message 1 of 6

External monitor for my Lenovo Y720 laptop.

Hello,

I am currently searching for an external monitor to hook up my Lenovo Y720 laptop. I'm interested in buying a 144Hz monitor for it however I keep seeing multiple people saying that you cannot use a 144Hz monitor with this laptop and multiple people saying that you can. With all of the conflicting information I'm hoping that this thread will get me the correct answer once and for all before i make a purchase. So of anyone can please answer a few things for me I would greatly appreciate it.

1. Can you connect a 144Hz monitor to the Lenovo Y720 laptop?

2. If yes, please explain how in good enough detail as I am not the best with computers.

3. Any recommendations on good affordable 144Hz monitors that would work with this laptop for gaming?

Thank you!

Fesiitis
Punch Card
Views: 1,778
Message 2 of 6

Re: External monitor for my Lenovo Y720 laptop.

Hi,

I have Samsung C24FG70FQU connected to my Y720 via Mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable. Everything works fine, for first moments I felt huge difference between 60Hz and 144Hz. Everything feels so smooth, I mean you can feel huge difference not only in games, but on Windows as well. For example just moving mouse cursor around desktop, you can feel huge difference in smoothness. For example watch this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1cmhZs1P54

But before you purchase external 144Hz monitor, you should know that HDMI supports only up to 120Hz, so you will also need purchase Mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable. I'm using 0B47091 cable.

Also you should know that on Y720 all external display outputs is wired to Nvidia display graphics. It means that when you will connect your external monitor to Y720 and use only external monitor, everything will work on Nvidia, Intel onboard graphics will be turned off. It means that your laptop will make much more noise not only by playing games but just working as well. And on Y720 there is no option in BIOS to switch between UMA/Switchable graphics. But maybe Lenovo will listen to us and add this option for Y720 with next BIOS update, because on Y520 this option is already available.

Hxnson
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,729
Message 3 of 6

Thank you so much for your response!

One follow up question i have is that on your solution you listed it by using an HDMI port. My question is would there be an easier or better way to connect a 144Hz monitor to this laptop not using the HDMI port but using its one USB Type-C with Thunderbolt 3 port? and if so what would i need to hook the laptop up to the monitpr with that port?

Thank you again.

Fesiitis
Punch Card
Views: 1,720
Message 4 of 6

You can connect external monitor to USB-C port, it will works, but I don't know if USB-C can support up to 144Hz. After some fast research about USB-C and Thunderbolt 3, some peoples says it supports 144Hz, but some says no..

Hxnson
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,717
Message 5 of 6

Thanks again for your response, and yea that is the same thing i keep finding is that some people are saying yes it can support up to 144Hz while others say no it cant. Just wish i had a definitive answer on that.

But back to your original response.. The laptop can support a 144Hz monitor through the HDMI port with the cords you previously provided right? you said you currently are using the laptop with a 144Hz monitor so i assume so. thanks again for all the help!

noniano
Paper Tape
Views: 1,019
Message 6 of 6

Hello! What monitor did you buy?

Cheers

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors