GB

1 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 1 of 1

External monitor laggy/choppy/low FPS on Legion 7

2020-09-21, 13:37 PM

Hello,

When I connect my Legion 7 to an external monitor using HDMI, the UI becomes very choppy, i.e. when dragging windows, scrolling, moving mouse, I'd say it feels like 30 Hz instead of the expected 60 Hz. This seems to be a very common problem with laptops which have hybrid graphics (Intel Graphics + NVIDIA), and Intel Graphics driver is to blame:

The only workarounds I have found to help so far are:

• disable Intel GPU from Device Manager
  • restart laptop with HDMI cable plugged in
  • disable Hybrid mode from Vantage (and restart computer to apply changes, which is basically like solution 2)

What is interesting, from the second link I shared above for a ThinkPad X1, the Administrator @Andy_Lenovo posted a link to updated drivers:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-x1-extreme-gen-2/20qv/downloads/DS540278

The last update, 27.20.100.8587  N2ODR13W    01, has been released on the 2020/09/09 (2 weeks ago). In the changelog, it clearly says it has fixed this issue:

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/n2odr13w.txt

<27.20.100.8587> (N2ODR13W)

-(Fix) Fixed an issue where dragging app interface was not smooth under external

monitor only mode when plugging the monitor for the first time.

The latest drivers for the Legion 7, as of writing, are released in May (4 months ago). Can we please get updated drivers, just like the X1, to fix this dreadful issue? I tried using the X1's drivers, but that didn't fix my problem.

Thanks a lot

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete