01-20-2020

US

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 4

Force external display to use intel graphic gpu on lenovo legion y540

2020-01-20, 15:40 PM

For some reasons, i want to connect my second display to my intel gpu, not my nvidia gpu (for mine is gtx 1650 in legion y540),

Things i tried:

- Connect display to hdmi, mini display port, usb type c through usb type c hub but all of them only connect to nvidia

- Disable nvidia graphics, but the laptop wont detect external display

- Change in bios setting, but it only show 2 options, dicreate graphics mean only use nvidia gpu and switchable means use both gpu but only built in display can use intel gpu

What can i do ? anyone success using intel graphics for external display ? i hope lenovo should release bios update let advance user choose only integrated graphics too, or feature for lenovo vantage

Thanks for supporting

Solved! See the solution
Options

734 Posts

04-23-2019

US

423 Signins

13382 Page Views

• Views: 13382
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Force external display to use intel graphic gpu on lenovo legion y540

2020-01-20, 15:54 PM

Hi superatom,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

I've checked the schematics of the machine (photo below) and all the ports on the machine use the dedicated gpu for rendering graphics. This means that it may not be possible to use Intel graphics for external displays.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Jack_Lenovo1

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

7 Posts

12-27-2019

PT

6 Signins

86 Page Views

• Views: 86
  • Message 3 of 4

Re: Force external display to use intel graphic gpu on lenovo legion y540

2020-01-24, 16:12 PM

Hello.

I too want need this, for battery saving reasons and because whenever I have a external monitor connected and I open and close the lid, the display settings change and there is a stutter on the external display as the internal display is disabled with the closing of the lid.

This also results in resolution problems which leads to deskptop organization problems.
Still, the worst thing is the "stutter" that happens when I close the lid and the internal display is disabled just because it is closed so all graphic settings are now only using the external display and when the lid is open it identifies the 2 displays again, again changing resolutions and organization and stuttering any video for a split second.

This is terrible behaviour for someone who uses external monitors extensively and never have I had a computer with such dumb characteristics...

Options

65 Posts

08-31-2020

US

30 Signins

390 Page Views

• Views: 390
  • Message 4 of 4

Re:Force external display to use intel graphic gpu on lenovo legion y540

2020-09-21, 17:58 PM

@ lenewnovo wrote:

Hello.

I too want need this, for battery saving reasons and because whenever I have a external monitor connected and I open and close the lid, the display settings change and there is a stutter on the external display as the internal display is disabled with the closing of the lid.

This also results in resolution problems which leads to deskptop organization problems.
Still, the worst thing is the "stutter" that happens when I close the lid and the internal display is disabled just because it is closed so all graphic settings are now only using the external display and when the lid is open it identifies the 2 displays again, again changing resolutions and organization and stuttering any video for a split second.

This is terrible behaviour for someone who uses external monitors extensively and never have I had a computer with such dumb characteristics...

While it may be terrible for a non-gaming laptop, that isn't what this machine is intended for.   These machines are intended for gamers to attach high spec monitors and VR headsets to the display out ports, and you definitely don't want that going through the integrated gpu and restricting performance.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete