01-12-2021

SE

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 1 of 4

High cpu usage when hybrid graphics activated

2021-01-12, 22:49 PM

When hybrid graphics is activated the system process in windows use about 10% cpu all the time. Which in turn results in very bad battery time.

This is not the original behavior of my unit.

The high cpu-usage disappears when switching off hybrid graphics.

Model: Legion Y740-15IRHg

Intel VGA Driver - 10 [64] - 26.20.100.7985 (also tried with intels latest driver 27.20.100.9126 but it made no difference)

OS Name:                   Microsoft Windows 10 Home
OS Version:                10.0.18363 N/A Build 18363

Any suggestions?

Best regards

/Eric

Options

1552 Posts

03-11-2020

NO

174 Signins

8156 Page Views

• Views: 8156
  • Message 2 of 4

Re:High cpu usage when hybrid graphics activated

2021-01-13, 10:55 AM

Hi e_brus,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Make sure you have the latest Graphics card drivers (Nvidia) from the support site as well as the newest BIOS, Chipset, Serial I.O, Management Engine Interface and Power Management drivers for your device: 
You can find and install the newest drivers from the Lenovo Support Page
Just plot in the serial number of the device and hit enter, might have to press it twice, then head to Drivers & Software, select Manual Update, then select the BIOS, Chipset, Display & Video Graphics and Power Management section for their respective drivers.
Right click the files in question and select "Run as Administrator".
**Note: Make sure the AC adapter is connected and that you have at least 30% battery charge when performing BIOS updates.

This might not help improve battery time, as the discrete graphics in the Y740, be it 2060/2070 or 2080 RTX will require a lot of power. Gaming laptops are not meant to be used on battery life as the TDP (Thermal Design Power) is much higher then that of average consumer laptops. This is why they come with very high Wattage AC adapters.

These drivers might however help with the System usage being 10% , which I agree is not normal.

Hope this helps

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

2 Posts

01-12-2021

SE

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 3 of 4

2021-01-13, 13:54 PM

Hi!

Thank you for the answer!

I have the latest drivers from Nvidia (461.09 from 2021-01-07), and according to Lenovo VANTAGE, the latest drivers are installed:

As described in my first post, the problem is not present when using only discrete graphics but when hybrid graphics is active (ie when the intel gpu is to be used for low power tasks)
And as indicated the problem is not high GPU usage but CPU usage when hybrid graphics in enabled witch kind of defeats the purpose.

Best regards,

/Eric

Options

1552 Posts

03-11-2020

NO

174 Signins

8156 Page Views

• Views: 8156
  • Message 4 of 4

2021-01-14, 9:30 AM

Is it high System usage or just CPU usage ?

If it's just high CPU usage, then that is also to be expected, since the integrated graphics is in processor (CPU) and the integrated graphics is being allocated VRAM from the system memory.

If the System Process is using 10% CPU in the (Task Manager), then that's usually not normal. Has this problem been present before ? If so, then might be worth trying to figure out aprox. when it started happening and check the Lenovo Driver Update list you have to see if it coincides with any updates, then try to roll back these drivers. 

Still, since the Integrated Graphics does share system memory, it stands to reason that especially on laptops with this specific function, the System Process will be higher then what is normally seen on devices with a pure dedicated graphics card.

The System process loads (or hosts) multiple hardware drivers from different vendors that require higher level of memory access.

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms