Options

6 Posts

03-19-2019

US

6 Signins

51 Page Views

• Views: 51
  • Message 1 of 7

How do I downgrade Lenovo Legion Y520 Bios?

2020-09-04, 4:54 AM

I have been trying to fix Unexpected Store Exception crashes for a few weeks.  Ntoskrnl.exe is often involved also.  Event Viewer shows crashes every five days on average.  Sometimes I tell it to sleep, but when I wake it up it boots fresh and Event Viewer says the previous shutdown was unexpected.

No, I told it to sleep, but apparently it crashed instead.

The other day it crashed while it was sleeping!

I do video conferencing for work and it recently crashed twice while I was seeing clients.  The first time I realized that the computer was hot, so I bought a cooler, although I do not feel that is any kind of a fix.

I hope that reduced problems, but it is still crashing.

What I have tried so far:

1. Scanned for viruses and malware.
  2. Updated my drivers.  However, Device Manager shows errors with four devices, although my Logitech trackball shows up twice.
  3. Tested the RAM with memory Diagnostic Tool and Memory Test.
  4. Tested the SSD with SFC /Scannow and ChkDsk /f /r.
  5. Installed updates.
  6. Ran Lenovo Diagnostics Windows, which said that my laptop failed and reported "Test aborted because a system event that could compromise the outcome has happened" several times.
  7. I created a restore disk, but when I tried to use it the system said "To use system restore you must specify which Windows installation to restore. Restart this computer, sele..."  I couldn't restore and I couldn't boot into Windows.  I swapped hard drives between my laptop and desktop, installed numerous drivers, and both run, but my laptop is still crashing!
  8. I uninstalled Avast.  I tried to reinstall it, but their long download page didn't have a download link, so I am sticking with Windows Defender for the time being.
  9. I followed #1 - #5 with this hard drive.
  10. Changed SATA configuration in BIOS from IDE to AHCI, but after two failed attempts to boot and attempting Troubleshooting I changed it back and it seems to work, but it always seems to work until it crashes!
  11. Disabled Fast Startup and Sleep features.
  12. Removed temporary files.
  13. Verified File History is disabled.
  14. Verified that I am using High-Performance power plan.

The last step that I haven't tried from Windows Report's suggestions is rolling back Bios.  That sounds complicated!  How do I do it?

By the way, the laptop's SSD has been running perfectly with my desktop.

Thank you very much!  Have a great day!

Options

725 Posts

03-11-2020

NO

79 Signins

4408 Page Views

• Views: 4408
  • Message 2 of 7

Re:How do I downgrade Lenovo Legion Y520 Bios?

2020-09-04, 8:47 AM

Hi,

Welcome to the Lenovo forum community!

I would actually try something else first:

To do a factory reset, first you will need to make a backup of your important files to an external USB storage unit, or to an online drive.

Then you need to turn off your laptop completely, by holding down the power button for 10 seconds.

To initiate the factory reset, you need to push the tiny button located (Go to pcsupport.lenovo.com search with your serial number, then select pane "Knowledgebase and Guides" Then find the user manual and locate the Novo buttons placement in the manual), You can use for example, a paperclip to press it, after  

you have pressed the button, the laptop will power on, and present a small menu, use the arrow keys to select factory reset, and press the  

enter key to select. Now follow the on screen instructions.

Then when your back at the desktop

1. Right click the Start button and select Control Panel.
  2. Make your way to System and Security.
  3. Click System.
  4. Click Advanced system settings from the left sidebar.
  5. Select the Hardware tab.
  6. Press the Device Installation Settings button.
  7. Choose No, and then press the Save Changes button.

Reboot, then update all drivers via the Vantage Application, then reboot, then update windows.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

6 Posts

03-19-2019

US

6 Signins

51 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

2020-09-04, 9:33 AM
If there is a conflict with the default Windows installation on two different SSDs then logically the problem is with the hardware. Maybe the Bios. How do I roll it back?
Options

725 Posts

03-11-2020

NO

79 Signins

4408 Page Views

• Message 4 of 7

2020-09-04, 9:37 AM

It wasnt clear from the text that you have tried 2 different SSDs

To backflash you need to go into the BIOS settings and activate the backflash option.

then you can run the older BIOS flash program.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

6 Posts

03-19-2019

US

6 Signins

51 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2020-09-04, 18:02 PM

"I couldn't boot into Windows. I swapped hard drives between my laptop and desktop" was unclear?

k

This morning I woke up my laptop and it gave me a BSOD with a "Memory Management" error.  The solutions that I see for that are the same ones that I have already tried, except it would be great if Event Viewer showed more than that Memory Diagnostics was scheduled to start immediately.

There are zero reports.

Wouldn't I need the old BIOS to roll back to it?  Where do I find that?

Options

725 Posts

03-11-2020

NO

79 Signins

4408 Page Views

• Message 6 of 7

2020-09-07, 8:03 AM

Yes, you do need the old BIOS, i can help you with that, if you give me the specific model number, from your unit.

Also, i would suggest downloading memtest86.org - the free version, and test your memory as well.

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

6 Posts

03-19-2019

US

6 Signins

51 Page Views

• Message 7 of 7

How do I fix "Test aborted because a system event that could compromise the outcome has happened?"

2020-09-15, 7:27 AM

My laptop crashed and I reinstalled windows, reformatting the hard drive.  It crashed again and I submitted a claim to SquareTrade.  The site told me to call Costco because my laptop, which I bought just over two years ago, was covered by a one-year Costco concierge warranty.

I called and eventually talked to tech support.  He said that we may need to reinstall Windows and I told him that I already did.  He loaded Lenovo Diagnostics and I told him what happened when I ran it before reinstalling Windows.  He kept saying that it sounded like I had a problem with my RAM or video card.

He ran Lenovo Diagnostics, except this time everything passed.  The only thing that he did that I had not done was having me shut down and drain the CMOS battery before running Lenovo Diagnostics.  He said "Good news! Everything is fine! You are welcome!"

Unless this is one of those cases where you do something one time, for some reason it doesn't work, and you just need to do it again, I don't know what he did except have me drain the CMOS, because I had already done everything that he did.

I had Lenovo Diagnostics test everything extensively and it kept giving me that error for the video cards.  I closed everything in the system tray except for McAffee with the same result.  You can't use your video cards in safe mode, so how do I test the video cards?

Maybe rolling back Bios would fix something, but how likely is that?

Mem Test 86 has been running for 3 hours.  It says that it is 83% complete.

It has found zero errors.

I will let you know if it finds something at the end, but it seems unlikely.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete