Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionGaming Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

02-19-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 21 of 53

Re:How to disable or change RGB profile during start up - Legion 7i

2021-03-17, 12:44 PM

I can confirm uninstalling icue works, for me at least. First I setup a default profile, which is a solid blue with no other lights. Then uninstalled icue. When prompted during the uninstall I did not delete the profiles, not sure that matters but it's what I did. The computer boots up to the default solid blue I made and I'm still able to adjust or turn off the keyboard backlighting as usual.

I'm 42, but I cant imagine any point in my life where I'd want my J%^*! computer doing all that nonsense. How did that become a thing?

Options

1 Posts

03-18-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 22 of 53

2021-03-18, 4:15 AM

What I've found works is to disable the iCue  on startup by untoggling the start on system startup in the options and use the FN + Spacebar combo and set it to the blue light only, this makes it that option on next bootup. No need to uninstall icue just make it not run on bootup.  

Turning the backlight off using the FN + down arrows will also stop the RGB on bootup even on the next reboot. 

Options

7 Posts

03-02-2021

Czech Republic

16 Signins

65 Page Views

• Views: 65
  • Message 23 of 53

2021-03-19, 12:40 PM

Unfortunately Fn+spacebar and Fn+arrows is not much solution when you need to do repetitive key pressing each time computer starts/reboots.. 

There is quite long thread about this issue here in the forum, but still no effective solution ( https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Gaming-Laptops/Stop-the-RIDICULOUS-Spiral-Rainbow-Keyboard-backlight-effect-Let-us-turn-it-off/m-p/4552233?page=12 ).

As it was mentioned several times, simple editbox where user can specify fixed color, or switch to turn it off completely in BIOS would do the trick. Unfortunately it not much seems Lenovo cares about this.. :/ 

Options

1 Posts

03-20-2021

United States of America

1 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 24 of 53

2021-03-20, 4:56 AM

It looks like there is a solution for the Y740 now. It was posted earlier this month, but no signs of anyone trying out the fixed keyboard firmware.

The development team is at least aware of the issue. We just don't know if they even plan on providing a similar fix for the 7i.

Options

3 Posts

03-25-2021

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

5 Signins

30 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 30
  • Message 25 of 53

2021-03-25, 20:57 PM

Has anyone tried raising this as a defect with Lenovo? It seems like there is definitely a software bug somewhere....

Options

4 Posts

12-21-2020

Canada

3 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 26 of 53

2021-03-26, 0:48 AM

LENOVO, please give us the ability to turn off this spiral rainbow on start up. I have the Legion 7i and this has been marketed as a computer suitable for the work environment and gaming. I do not know how many meetings you have, but mine are not normally a rave. If I have to restart my computer during a meeting, this is highly distracting. There has to be a solution for this. The laptop is fantastic otherwise, but this is a significant problem. FIX THIS!

Admin Edit: Topic already exists, therefore merged into the appropriate discussion.

Options

21 Posts

08-03-2020

United States of America

175 Signins

960 Page Views

• Views: 960
  • Message 27 of 53

2021-03-26, 10:32 AM

I have a custom built laptop that is 10 years old and I am able to make it start up with solid blue keys until Windows startup is invoked at which time it turns the lights off completely.  If an old laptop is capable of doing this then Lenovo, you have no excuse not to fix this.  My 7i purchase from Lenovo was my first experience with the company.  So far besides having no control over the startup style of the RGB, I have to also worry about my hinges breaking.  I am not impressed that I spent over $2K on a supposed top-of-the-line laptop only to have to endure this.  Never again Lenovo!  I have learned a valuable lesson here.

Options

3 Posts

02-24-2021

United States of America

7 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 28 of 53

2021-03-26, 18:17 PM

This is terrible support from lenovo.

To start with, the y740 firmware is used on our own risks and it is not official release or supported.

This can not even be a support, just a hacky way with unknown source, but so called tested with y740.

I have tried and used the y740 firmware at my own risk, and no, it does not work. There was a warning saying "Can not find device! -1" and exit directly.

In conclusion:

1.bad support for premium product, can't imagine the kind of support for other products.

2.even for suggested firmware, it was not official and not tested before pushed out

3.suggested firmware did not work at all

This is disappointing, not going to buy lenovo product ever again in the future, especially the more distinct features a product may come with, the more problems it may have, and no support at all because it is a niche market.

P.S. Not sure whether this exists on every 7i laptop. There is a folder in C:\drivers called Y730_Y740Keyboard Backlight Firmware. The files were created in 2020 September (which is the time I ordered this laptop), but file modified dates were long back then. I look into the ITESHFU.exe file from diskgenius, the description says "This program must be ran under Win32".

I guess this is where the keyboard firmware is, and if anyone is knowledgeable to modify this file, it is possible to change the default RGB profile?  Or if we install a win32 system to run this file, it might just work?

Options

44 Posts

04-23-2020

Yemen

69 Signins

715 Page Views

• Views: 715
  • Message 29 of 53

2021-03-27, 9:41 AM

This is infuriating. Every other brand provides options for users to boot with custom RGB lights or no lights in BIOS.

Some of these models are several years old.

I'm starting to become obsessed with this problem. Every time I wake up, I take a look at my Legion 7i and cringe thinking about that rainbow RGB all over the device, like an annoying ex that you cannot get rid of.

Look how many posts are about this problem.

For the sake of your community, Lenovo. Please FIX THIS ISSUE.

Options

11 Posts

03-31-2021

Netherlands

10 Signins

95 Page Views

• Views: 95
  • Message 30 of 53

2021-04-02, 21:26 PM

Help Lenovo Help. Whats left of the old IBM spirit?

I'm going back to HP. Next to the discoshow on boot my hinge is starting to click.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms