10-17-2020

GB

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 1 of 4

I'm Having Some Issues with my Lenovo Legion Y540

2020-10-17, 18:34 PM

First of all I love this laptop, it is able to allow me to play all the games I love. I got the laptop around May/June time and right out the box I've had some issues that I've often thought about contacting customer support. Firstly my brother has the exact same model and plays it as much as I do as we often play online together, and his doesn't seem to have any of the issues I have. 

The first issue is sometimes it takes forever to boot up. Now my brothers you just push the power button and within seconds you on the log in screen. Mine does that occasionally but for the most part its slow. Sometimes I am just faced with a black screen and nothing happens and more recently the screen will light up, I will hear the internals of the laptop boot up, then it just cuts of, starts up again and cuts off. Its goes through around cycles of this before it actually comes on. Sometimes as I say I am just met with a black screen and I actually have to hold the power button down to force it to go off and restart. Now I always shut the laptop down properly through the start menu, never with the power button, and I never just close the lid and allow it to sleep. I always unplug the power cable as well. 

The second issue I am having is to do with the power settings. Now this is a gaming laptop and its what I use it for. Playing a game on this purely from the battery you get around an hour of game time if your lucky. I always use it at home so its always plugged in otherwise the game starts to lag and stutter as the power depletes. There is an option within the lenovo Vantage hub to have the option of conservation turned on which means once the battery reaches around half way charged it stops charging. It just means your not sitting with the battery at 100% all the time and its not getting a chance to deplete. What I've found is the setting may stay turned on for one or two boot ups then it just turns itself of and its not until i notice the battery almost full and realise its gone off. So I'd say im having to manually go in and check this everytime i turn the laptop on now which is a complete pain, its a setting i have turned on why isnt it staying on. 

For the money I paid for this i feel like i shouldn't be having these issues. Theres times I fear the laptop wont start as it seems to be happening more and more often now. Sometimes i feel like ive had a reconditioned one sent to me as my shift key also sits an angle when it should be flat, but it wasnt that a major deal so I left it. 

Any help or advice anyone can give would be great. Or should I just contact customer support?

Thanks in advance

Stevey

Solved! See the solution
Options

68 Posts

08-31-2020

US

33 Signins

400 Page Views

• Views: 400
  • Message 2 of 4

Re:I'm Having Some Issues with my Lenovo Legion Y540

2020-10-19, 12:16 PM

The startup issue seems like a failing drive. Probably needs to be replaced. I would backup immediately.

Gaming laptops are not expected to run games while on battery. You are supposed to keep it plugged in. The laptop will also run in performance mode when plugged in.

Conservation mode is about not fully charging the battery when plugged in so that the battery life expectancy is longer (nothing to do with capacity).

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

2 Posts

10-17-2020

GB

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 3 of 4

2020-10-26, 17:20 PM

So you think I should contact lenovo then? And that the laptop may be faulty? 

Thanks for the advice. 

Options

68 Posts

08-31-2020

US

33 Signins

400 Page Views

• Views: 400
  • Message 4 of 4

2020-10-26, 18:32 PM

@ VonWeavey wrote:

So you think I should contact lenovo then? And that the laptop may be faulty? 

Thanks for the advice. 

If you are not comfortable working on it yourself, or if it is new, then yes I would contact them.  First thing they are going to ask you to do or do themselves it to factory reset windows.   Given that, you might backup anything you need and then reset windows yourself before calling them.

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/legion-series/legion-y540-15irh/videos/vid100759

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete