cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DivingEagle
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,492
Message 1 of 34

Ideapad Y700 15ISK - GPU throttling by temperature?

While playing GPU intensive games I had the feeling that the laptop does not reach its full capabilities.

Even while using the recommended GPU settings by NVIDIA for the respective game, the games felt a bit sluggish.

So I ran some benchmarks using the program Furmark.

It looks like the laptop is programmed to throttle the GPU once the temperature reaches 65-67 °C.

Can this be possible?

This kinda sucks. I didn't pay for high end hardware just to have it throttled by my system's BIOS or whatever causes this.

Moreover the fans don't always seem to run at full capacity before the temperature throttling kicks in.

It also does not seem possible to control or monitor the fan speed by a third party program like MSI Afterburner.

If this is supposed to be a laptop for gamers it kind of missed the mark here.

JusSn
Paper Tape
Views: 6,451
Message 2 of 34

Re: Ideapad Y700 15ISK - GPU throttling by temperature?

Make sure you don't have any power saving features turned on, I know Lenovo has a bunch of Power Management software installed by default. Are you using "Power Saver" power plan in Windows by any chance?

I can max out the overclock in Afterburner and game for hours on end at 1337 MHz core, so I'm not having any throttling issues. However I did do a clean install of Windows so I have no Lenovo software running on mine.

DivingEagle
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,443
Message 3 of 34

I did a clean install of Windows 10 without any Lenovo software.

I have no power saving mode active.

I did not say the GPU is not overclockable, it is.

However, something, probably the BIOS, is actively throttling the GPU when the temperature hits 65-67°C.

Every system throttles the CPU and GPU if the temperature is getting too high to protect itself from damage. But 65 °C is way beyond conservative.

You have to try a GPU stress test to see it.

The GPU could be way faster.

JusSn
Paper Tape
Views: 6,433
Message 4 of 34

I ran Valley on extreme settings for two hours @ +135 MHz sclk +300 MHz memclk and temps hovered around 67 degres as well but that is more because the cooling solution on this laptop is exceptional. I did not see any thermal throttling on either CPU or GPU in both Witcher 3 and GTA V. GPU boost elects not to maintain a 1337 MHz boost clock for super long periods of time, sometimes dipping to 1324, but that is how GPU boost works and is up to NVIDIA.

What software are you using to monitor your GPU clock speeds? I know that Riva Statistics Server's OSD does not display my GPU stats properly, for example.

Alternatively I suggest using Steam's FPS counter or something similar or compare benchmark scores to online results. The 960M is equivalent to a 750 Ti desktop, give or take. And keep in mind that NVIDIA recommended settings are not perfect.

DivingEagle
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,417
Message 5 of 34

Not sure how you are trying to establish the argument that there is no GPU throttling at 65-67°C when you are unable to get past 67°C yourself and you did not do a stress test benchmark.

No matter how good the cooling is, it is still laptop, it is hardly possible to maintain 67°C without throttling.

I used Furmark and MSI Afterburner for monitoring. There is no difference between the 2 monitors.

It doesn't matter if I overclock the GPU clock, in the end it gets throttled by the system anyway.

Here is the report.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/69077690/Lenovo%20Y700%20-%20GPU%20throttle.png

After googling I found another guy that drew the same conclusions:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Lenovo/comments/3v8q2o/ideapad_15_y700_gpu_throttle_and_graphs/

JusSn
Paper Tape
Views: 6,398
Message 6 of 34

It's not an argument, it's a statement. I'm not getting any throttling. That reddit thread OP's laptop is throttling to less than 1100 MHz clock speed when he reaches those temperatures. You still haven't mentioned what clock speeds your card is running at when "throttling."

I have yet to see my GPU drop below 1284 MHz after playing the Witcher 3 for an hour, and if I entered the menus or something digging for a quest or map location and let the chip rest a bit, it would boost back up to 1336.8 MHz for a few minutes afterwards. Temps on CPU and GPU hovered around 60 - 70 degrees. Just because it isn't hitting 80 degrees doesn't mean that it is throttling; it's just a 60 W TDP chip and past a certain point, with the right cooling setup, it isn't going to get any hotter/use any more power.

Valley stresses the GPU under realistic loads. I couldn't give two **bleep**s about stress test benchmarks. I only care about gaming performance. I bought this thing to run games, not cry about unrealistic stress tests.

It's possible that you got a bad unit in comparison to mine. But if your games are feeling sluggish and you won't even check the clock speeds, I can't help you. Maybe you should've gotten a laptop with a 970M or 980M instead.
DivingEagle
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,384
Message 7 of 34

Hm, do you understand the meaning of the word 'argument', or why did you decide to get angry?

You can see the maximum clock speed of my GPU on the graph during the stress tests I did.

Moreover, first you say you don't get over 67°C degrees, just like me, then you say you got it to 80°C. If you got it to 80°C, that is interesting, please post the graph.

I do feel throttling playing games and I did a stress test benchmark.

You don't feel any throttling while playing games and you don't give 2 bleeps about benchmarks, that is cool.

Please don't hijack the thread and let somebody that does give me his feedback.

y70015ISKm2SSD
Punch Card
Views: 6,314
Message 8 of 34

Having same problem.

Checked temperatures with MSI afterburner and when GPU reaches 67-68 degrees celsius in Evolve, fps drops from 60 to 5fps. and then backs up to 60 and then imideatly back to 5fps.

The only way to fix it is to lower resolution and put low-medium settings.

I didin't get laptop with gtx960m to enjoy low settings with low resolution..

I can enjoy low settings on my Acer with Nvidia 640m which runs at 95 celsius.

Very dissapointed with throttling.. and the worst part there is nothing we can do without cutting grills (voiding the warranty) to prevent this issue..

Romanol
What's DOS?
Views: 6,282
Message 9 of 34

Did you purchase a new windows 10 key for the fresh install? or were you able to use the product key from lenovo.

DivingEagle
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,277
Message 10 of 34

I personally used a new key.

I doubt it makes a difference though, I know of no Windows 10 feature that throttles the GPU except power settings, and those are fine already.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors