Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ryclassen
Paper Tape
Views: 2,751
Message 1 of 7

Ideapad Y700 15isk Keyboard Doesn't Respond, Black Screen, Freezes

Hello, I have had my Y700 for 2 months. Right from the start I had the issue where it wouldn't seem to boot up, and I would have to put it to sleep a time or 2 before it would start windows. This problem seems to be solved. However, after installing the windows 10 anniversary update, the laptop will randomly 'freeze'. The keyboard will not respond, but I can still use the mouse. When I try to restart, the screen will go black, and it will not respond at all. I have to force shutdown with power button. After turning back on, it will work for 20-30 min and then do the same thing. I did a total reinstall of windows 10 and have updated bios to the 37, but it is doing the same thing.  Lenovo Solutions Center does not detect hardware issues. Can someone please help me? Thanks!

Here are my specs:

Y700-15ISK Touch

BIOS: CDCN37WW

RAM: 16GB

HD: 256 SSD 

darkyy2106
Paper Tape
Views: 2,689
Message 2 of 7

Re: Ideapad Y700 15isk Keyboard Doesn't Respond, Black Screen, Freezes

I've just signed up to the forums for the same issues !!!

My BIOS is to the latest version and I've double-checked for outdated drivers.

I thought it was because I've configured nVIDIA as main video graphics processor for FireFox and thought also that Firefox was causing these freezes but even when configured in other way it still freezes and totally crashes. The whole screen just freezes but if I'm having any music playing it continues to play, that's why I'm thinking the video drivers might be the problem.

Note: I've tried updating nvidia drivers also.

However, whatever it is it's starting to getting TOO MUCH annoying as I bought the laptop less than 2 weeks ago and these problems started from DAY 2 !!!, not a good start at all! I really hope someone to give a good solution for this as I've tried everything on the internet.

My previous Lenovo laptop wasn't the best thing either, it had problems constantly and I can tell for sure that I know how to take good care of my laptops.
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 2,612
Message 3 of 7
Moved:

Merged azekworlda reply here with existing discussion azekworlda started in another thread.

Caerud
What's DOS?
Views: 2,499
Message 4 of 7

I have the same problem. Lenovo IdeaPad Y700-15ISK, Windows10, latest bios veriso (37). If I restart my laptop after the keyboard froze up, I get a "Novo Button Menu" message, but the keyboard is still not working.  Any word on fixes for this issue?

ryclassen
Paper Tape
Views: 2,294
Message 5 of 7

This sounds like the exact same thing mine is doing. I'm still waiting for a response.

Thorinus
Paper Tape
Views: 2,231
Message 6 of 7

i had the exact same problem and downloading the lastest bios fixed it for me

it changed the Lenovo boot up logo too so i suppose i was running an older version? but i dont know why would you still have the issue if you have the latest one, it solved it for me

noban
What's DOS?
Views: 193
Message 7 of 7

Have Ubuntu 16.04 + latest (as of 2018-March-20) nvidia drivers (don't have laptop at hand - can't tell exact version).

Solved by selecting to use ONLY Discreet GPU (Nvidia only - no switching between Intel HD and Geforce).
Selection must be made in BIOS ( To access BIOS press F2 during boot ).

So far solved all problems (have suspicion this can solve freezing problems on Windows as well)

Current BIOS version: CDCN27WW

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors