cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jakkekop
Paper Tape
Views: 1,750
Message 1 of 13

Ideapad Y700 battery only charges when turned off - When turned on; "plugged in, not charging"

Problem: When turned on, battery status says "plugged in, not charging" when AC is connected. When turned off and AC is connected, battery is charged as it should. Soon as laptop is turned on again, only battery power is used. 

I have been through all battery and power related settings. Nothing helps. 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Anyone? :-) 

-Jake

Guru
Views: 1,746
Message 2 of 13

Re: Ideapad Y700 battery only charges when turned off - When turned on; "plugged in, not chargi

If you have a multimeter, how much power is the AC adapter drawing while it is actually charging? Just to check if it is still powerful enough or dying.

Warm regards,
Jonas Hendrickx

Lenovo Insider - Windows Insider MVP

Personal website: ThinkScopes

Jakkekop
Paper Tape
Views: 1,740
Message 3 of 13

Re: Ideapad Y700 battery only charges when turned off - When turned on; "plugged in, not chargi

Don't have one, but the battery is charged to 100% just fine if only the laptop is turned off. So nothing indicates the adapter is faulted.
guardien
What's DOS?
Views: 1,713
Message 4 of 13

go into lenovo settings press number 3[battery] and turn off number 2

Jakkekop
Paper Tape
Views: 1,662
Message 5 of 13

Computer has been reset with a new installation of Windows 10. Have tried two different AC adapters. Still no charging when machine is on. Still charges fine when machine is off. Can't see any option other than a mechanical/technical issue with the battery. 

Looks like a trip back to the shop for repair. 

Guru
Views: 1,651
Message 6 of 13

Before you send it back for repair try the following:

1. Drain the battery to 25-50% of its full capacity.
  2. Restart the machine and go into BIOS setup mode. (KB article)
  3. Connect the AC adapter.
  4. Leave the machine plugged in for 1-3 hours.
  5. Restart the machine and go back to Windows. See if the Y700 managed to charge.

If the Y700 charged while it was in BIOS setup mode, then you might have a bad driver somewhere. In that case you can do a clean install of Windows 10 or try to figure out which driver is preventing your laptop to charge in 'Device Manager'.

Warm regards,
Jonas Hendrickx

Lenovo Insider - Windows Insider MVP

Personal website: ThinkScopes

Jakkekop
Paper Tape
Views: 1,630
Message 7 of 13

Thank you Jonas; good suggestion. Have done it now, and sadly the machine did not charge when left in BIOS mode for a few hours.
I already did the Windows reset and completely wiped all drives. So it seems to be a mechanical/electrical thing.
HannahN
What's DOS?
Views: 1,489
Message 8 of 13

Hi

I was wondering if you ever found a solution to this problem as my Yoga 700 is foinf exactly the same thing. Only started about two weeks ago and I can't find a solution. If I plug in the charger when it's on, the litter charger light blinks which it never used to. Then after about 2 minutes both the charger and power light blink together and the battery dies not long after. The only way I can charge it is when it's switched off. It's driving me crazy. And what's more annoying is my warranty ran out last month!

If you have any advice I would love to hear it.

Thanks!

Jakkekop
Paper Tape
Views: 1,476
Message 9 of 13

Hi HannahN.
The problem is still not resolved. My laptop has been sent back to repair at Lenovo two times now. Both times without the problem being solved. Battery has been changed, BIOS has been updated, Windows has been updated.
But the problem remains, so I have sent it back for the third time within a month. REALLY annoying! Hope to get it back this week. I will update this post if/when a solution is found.
BrightSpark
Paper Tape
Views: 1,394
Message 10 of 13

Hi HannahN

I've had this problem for months now with my Y700...no success whatsoever. Like you, I've been here, there and everywhere...googled it, scratched my hair out and God knows what. 

One touch recovery at least 4 times...tried a different power supply...nothing worked...UNTIL:.....

Today, I decided to say enough is enough and went to PC World intending to have it looked at. He asked me what I'd tried, then, on the off chance, he decided to try a new power supply off the shelf....O-M-G, as soon as he plugged it in it showed charging instantly. I bought it and turned it on at home...everything is just perfect...as it should be.

Because I'd tried different power adaptors, all of them Lenovo, I've come to the conclusion it's that what's causing the problem...but to be honest, I'm just so happy mine's working as it should again...and still showing charging...at 100% Smiley Happy

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/computer-accessories/power-and-cables/power-cabl...

It may not be the cure but what I've gone through and the things I've tried, I'm glad I took this route.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors