09-07-2016

United States of America

5 Signins

60 Page Views

• Views: 60
  • Message 1 of 14

Ideapad y700 keyboard Stops working then computer crashes

2016-09-07, 13:58 PM

So I have had this computer for around 5 months and have had little issue with it. All of the sudden my keyboard stopped working. I tried plugging in an external and that was working fine. So I tried to fix the internal one, but as I was looking up the solution my computer blue screened on me. I restarted and it came up with a menu that asked if I wanted to boot normally or etc etc. When I tried to hit enter the keyboard did not function so I had to restart again. Keyboard and computer was working fine. Then later the same thing happened. Internal Keyboard stopped working and soon after the computer blue screened. Next time it happened I closed out my programs before the crash and hit restart. It got stuck on the restart screen for a long time and I had to restart again. I have checked the harddrive, ram, and even did a fresh install of windows 10. This problem is still occuring and is very annoying. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, but it doesnt seem to work. Anybody have any ideas on what could be the problem?

Options

3508 Posts

04-02-2014

Mexico

2522 Signins

39849 Page Views

• Views: 39849
  • Message 2 of 14

Re: Ideapad y700 keyboard Stops working then computer crashes

2016-09-07, 15:17 PM

Hi cptnpajamashark

Welcome to the forums.

As for your issue, when you say your KB stops working, does the trackpad still work?

What is the Blue screen error that you are getting?

Do you have the Windows 10 Anniversary update installed? - Update your Windows

How about you try this (Make sure you have an external KB that works) -

1) Go to Control Panel > Device Manager

2) Go to the Keyboard, right click and select Properties.

3) Then click on Driver Tab -> Update Driver.

4) Select 'Browse my Computer for driver software'

5) Then select, 'Let me pick from a list..'

6) Uncheck the 'Show Compatible hardware', select QTRONIX and install those drivers.

7) Apply the changes. Your internal keyboard will now stop working.

After this change, restart the laptop and see if the error happens again. You can use the external keyboard meanwhile.

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
Options

5 Posts

09-07-2016

United States of America

5 Signins

60 Page Views

• Message 3 of 14

2016-09-07, 18:20 PM

Thanks for the reply. the trackpad works fine. my main issue is the fact that it keeps blue screening. I have installed all the current updates for all my drivers and windows. The crash is from ntoskrnl.exe. which people say can be a ton of things. I am not entirely sure what windows 10 anniverserary is, but I have made sure that windows is updated and I even checked my update history and saw nothing with that name. (the laptop came with windows 10 if thats what that means) and like a said I have checked the harddrive, ram, and recently did a fresh install of windows (with a thumbdrive) with the problem still happening. It makes me believe that it is some kind of hardware issue but I am not sure what it could be.

Options

5 Posts

09-07-2016

United States of America

5 Signins

60 Page Views

• Message 4 of 14

2016-09-07, 18:34 PM

also i installed the drivers you mentioned and it made both my internal and external keyboard unusable. I restarted twice and tried to install those drivers again and the same happened. It also made my mousepad unusable, luckily my external mouse still worked. not sure what that means.

Options

3508 Posts

04-02-2014

Mexico

2522 Signins

39849 Page Views

• Views: 39849
  • Message 5 of 14

2016-09-07, 19:17 PM

This is really weird man. I think you should describe your problem in detail and state the situation in which it happens (eg playing games/browsing/running a software) and send it to Lenovo for repairs.

Click on the Support link on top of the page and you should be able to contact Lenovo service from there. I suspect this could be related to either the latest windows version or some hardware but cannot be sure unless I can physically test the machine.

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
Options

5 Posts

09-07-2016

United States of America

5 Signins

60 Page Views

• Message 6 of 14

2016-09-07, 20:02 PM

ok thanks for your help

Options

1 Posts

09-27-2016

Canada

2 Signins

33 Page Views

• Views: 33
  • Message 7 of 14

2016-09-27, 4:08 AM

Is there already a solution for this problem? I have encountered exactly the same issue as of today. 

Options

15 Posts

04-11-2016

Israel

41 Signins

627 Page Views

• Views: 627
  • Message 8 of 14

2016-09-30, 11:59 AM

Hi,

The Problem appears to be with the EC (embedded controler) on the motherboard.

I have written about this issue before here:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Y700-Embedded-controller-problem/m-p/3304460/highlight/true#M142557

it happens mainly when you plug in the AC adapter, there is somekind of voltage drop\increse which causes the EC to malfunction. 

A generic embedded controller often has the following tasks: (from wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embedded_controller)

• Receiving and processing signals from the keyboard[1] and other buttons and switches (e.g., power button, laptop lid switch)[2]
  • Turning the computer on and off
  • Controlling access to the A20 line[3]
  • Thermal measurement and response including fan control, CPU throttling, and emergency shutdown in response to rising temperatures
  • Controlling indicator LEDs
  • Managing the battery charger and the battery[2]
  • Allowing remote diagnostics and remediation over the network
  • Performing software-requested CPU reset[1]
  • Controlling the watchdog timer[2]

I'm a computer engineer, the computer was like this strait out of the box, and i couldn't figure out the problem for long so i've done my share of homework about this issue.

Don't have good newsthough, the thing finaly helped me was to change the whole motherboard in a service center. 

Options

1 Posts

11-14-2016

Netherlands

2 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 9 of 14

2016-11-14, 16:54 PM

Seems to be a common issue. I'm not getting a bsod but my keyboard does stop working and the system will get stuck in restart... I've only had my Y700 for 2,5 months so I hope there's a fix available...

Options

1 Posts

11-21-2016

Netherlands

1 Signins

14 Page Views

• Views: 14
  • Message 10 of 14

2016-11-21, 17:56 PM

Did you or Lenovo manage to resolve this issue? I'm having the exact same problems with my lenovo y700 ideapad and I don't know what to do with it.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms