Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionGaming Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

35 Posts

05-24-2017

Ireland

39 Signins

386 Page Views

• Views: 386
  • Message 1 of 10

Installing a 1TB SSD in a Y530 15ICH

2021-07-07, 8:54 AM

The HDD in my notebook is developing bad sectors and I'm considering a replacement. Lenovo support provided me with a webpage which listed compatible SSDs. All of these have a 512 GB capacity and they said that those were the ones which had been tested. Possibly this is because of the unavailability of 1TB or greater sized SSD drives if testing was performed several years ago?

Is there any technical issue with using a larger capacity drive?

Has anyone done this and have they had issues?

Also can someone explain about the setup in this notebook for storage. I currently have a 1TB HDD with Intel Optane buffer memory, but I understand there is an option to have a secondary disk installed. I would be replacing the existing HDD disk with an SATA interface and 2.5" form factor.

Options

4444 Posts

04-23-2019

United States of America

669 Signins

29295 Page Views

• Views: 29295
  • Message 2 of 10

Re:Installing a 1TB SSD in a Y530 15ICH

2021-07-07, 14:12 PM

Hello @EugenesDIYDen,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

The limit provided in the psref page of the machine is only the tested amount of storage.

This does not necessarily mean that the machine is limited to 512 GB.

Some users have tried exceeding the recommended amount of 512gb on other machines and have noted that there were no problems.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Jack_Lenovo1

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

2616 Posts

04-17-2014

United States of America

3535 Signins

43865 Page Views

• Views: 43865
  • Message 3 of 10

2021-07-10, 2:57 AM

I've seen others (and a friend) that was able to upgrade the Y530 to a 1TB SSD with no issues.  

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Please do not PM me for individual requests... please post to the forums instead :)

Lenovo Forums have transitioned to a new platform. The team is working hard to bring new features and make the forums better than it was before!

The 'Search' function is currently down. In the interim, please get help through browser searches.

Please ensure the option 'Subscribe me automatically to all discussions I have participated in' is enabled under your forum settings. That way, you'll be notified if anyone replies to your thread!

Communities:    Moto English     English     Deutsche     Español     Portugues     Русскоязычное     Česká     Slovenská     Українська   

Options

35 Posts

05-24-2017

Ireland

39 Signins

386 Page Views

• Message 4 of 10

2021-09-07, 12:31 PM

Just bumping up this thread. I have 300h reallocated sectors on my disk now according to Crystal Disk Info. I had issues with corrupt files in Windows 10, did a clean install of Windows, but now after 2 days, applications have started breaking down again. Chrome and Edge are giving errors and Settings doesn't work. Windows System Maintenance has notified me a few times that the disk needs to be scanned for errors and to restart my machine after which it does repairs. So this is the disk I intend to buy. What do you think. If I'm looking for a disk from other manufacturers, what spec sdetails do I need to know other than capacity? Just that it needs to have a SATA III interfaace and the physical dimensions? Sandisk tech support said this would work:

https://shop.westerndigital.com/en-ie/products/internal-drives/sandisk-ssd-plus-sata-iii-ssd#SDSSDA-1T00-G26

They also said this was a suitable SSD. It's cheaper and has a faster sequential write performance.

https://shop.westerndigital.com/en-ie/products/internal-drives/sandisk-ultra-3d-sata-iii-ssd#SDSSDH3-1T00-G25

Options

35 Posts

05-24-2017

Ireland

39 Signins

386 Page Views

• Message 5 of 10

2021-09-07, 12:38 PM

Just another piece of information.
When I installed Windows 10, my system didn't have all the up to date Lenovo drivers. I ran Lenovo System Update which updated drivers, however I have just run Windows Automatic Maintenance from Control Panel and it reported that a restart is needed to install Intel SATA chipset controller. Could this have any bearing on my data being corrupted on the drive if the drivers for the hard drive aren't behaving properly? I just don't want to buy a drive if it's a software issue (although I know the reallocated sector count is increasing)

Options

35 Posts

05-24-2017

Ireland

39 Signins

386 Page Views

• Message 6 of 10

2021-09-07, 14:35 PM

To complicate matters, I also have an Intel Optane drive which I can't access directly, but acts as a buffer for my hard drive. Does this complicate what drive I can use as a replacement?

Options

2616 Posts

04-17-2014

United States of America

3535 Signins

43865 Page Views

• Message 7 of 10

2021-09-09, 2:49 AM

Both those drives are compatible. 

I would recommend trying to re-install the OS directly from Lenovo's media creation tool: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht103653-lenovo-digital-download-recovery-service-ddrs-download-the-files-needed-to-create-a-lenovo-usb-recovery-key

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Please do not PM me for individual requests... please post to the forums instead :)

Lenovo Forums have transitioned to a new platform. The team is working hard to bring new features and make the forums better than it was before!

The 'Search' function is currently down. In the interim, please get help through browser searches.

Please ensure the option 'Subscribe me automatically to all discussions I have participated in' is enabled under your forum settings. That way, you'll be notified if anyone replies to your thread!

Communities:    Moto English     English     Deutsche     Español     Portugues     Русскоязычное     Česká     Slovenská     Українська   

Options

35 Posts

05-24-2017

Ireland

39 Signins

386 Page Views

• Message 8 of 10

2021-09-09, 14:34 PM

So in total, I did a Windows Reset and Repair Upgrade over the last few months and then two Windows clean installs this week. The second install was because everything failed (System Recovery, Windows Reset, Automatic Repair, reboot in safe mode.) I've had a few BSOD over the last few months. I know these can cause file corruption, but can physical damage be caused to the disk if the power button has to be held down to power off the machine? Could issues with other hardware components or BIOS settings be physically damaging my disk? I updated firmware last year and updated Lenovo drivers first thing after installing Windows the second time. I suppose the only thing I can do is buy a new disk and if I still get bad sectors/file corruption. One day after the clean install my machine is running fine. A long Seatools test didn't turn up any problems with the drive. Windows Scandisk shows no problems either.

Options

35 Posts

05-24-2017

Ireland

39 Signins

386 Page Views

• Message 9 of 10

2021-09-09, 20:10 PM

This is what Seagate say about me using Seatools to check my hard drive.

"Thank you for your message Eugene, Sorry but the fix-all option is available only for the HDD and not the SSD. For the SSD, the long generic test is the option to be used. The problem must be due to the Read disturb and Error-correcting Codes(ECC). Being the Optane SSD from Intel and not a Seagate product, unfortunately, you would need to contact the manufacturer directly for any further assistance."

As regards the Intel Optane SSD, what impact does that have on the WesternDigital drive I linked to above? Do I have to remove the memory or can it still act as a buffer for the new SSD?

Options

2616 Posts

04-17-2014

United States of America

3535 Signins

43865 Page Views

• Message 10 of 10

2021-09-10, 22:33 PM

With the SSD, Optane won't do much in improving the performance; I would recommend removing it. 

Regards,
Eric Xu

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms