Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
socool111
Paper Tape
Views: 167
Message 1 of 4

Issue with Lenovo Y540: using computer microphone instead of headphones

Hi All,

My computer insists on using my headphone microphone instead of the built in computer microphone.

From my research it is a common problem with the Realtek audio drivers.

In fact I experienced it recently on my very old Lenovo, which I was able to fix by disabling the default headset so it would use the built in microphone.

But just a few months later that laptop died and I have my shiny new Y540 laptop. Same issue. But disabling the mic with the headset plugged in does not switch to my computer headset as it did with my last laptop.

I even scoured google and lenovo forums. Found the below solution but could not find the Audio Manager that is mentioned in the top comment.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Gaming-Laptops/Can-not-use-a-microphone-when-my-headphones-are-plugged/...

I found another solution which involved rolling back the driver and changing windows setting so it doesnt used the most up to date drivers. THIS WORKED (YAY) but it was a huge pain....and then on next restart I was back to where I started. It is critical that I can set this up

Guru
Views: 112
Message 2 of 4

Re: Issue with Lenovo Y540: using computer microphone instead of headphones

Hi there. Before reverting to the previous driver make sure you choose to completely erase the current driver. There is an option in device manager when you try to uninstall a device.

On the Realtek application make sure to select "Separate all input jacks as independent input devices"

If none works, what i would suggest, which is kind of a 'dirty' solution, is to get a headphone / microphone splitter and only use the headphone jack

I am a volunteer in this forum and also a lenovo user. If i helped you, click on the kudos button!

socool111
Paper Tape
Views: 89
Message 3 of 4

I cant seem to even get to a realtek system settings that show me that options. Apparently it's in the HD Realtek Manager but I cant event seem to download that properly

Guru
Views: 74
Message 4 of 4

Search for it in the Start menu. It should be automatically installed along with the audio drivers

I am a volunteer in this forum and also a lenovo user. If i helped you, click on the kudos button!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors