Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionGaming Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

19 Posts

10-06-2019

United States of America

16 Signins

314 Page Views

• Views: 314
  • Message 1 of 2

Just bought a y540. Bunch of questions before i boot up. (Thermals, overclocking, undervolting etc)

2019-10-06, 20:34 PM

Hey y'all. 

I just purchased a legion y540.

I had originally purchased a helios 300, due to the lower temperatures, but there was a high frequency pitch to the fans even on idle that was driving me nuts.

That being said I am quite concerned about the thermals on this and want to do my best to keep the temperatures low.

Problem is, i'm not sure where to start. I can't find any comprehensive guides and the information i'm looking for is quite scattered and piece meal. 

If any of you could take the time to help me out and answer a few questions, it would immensely help me out and alleviate some anxiety on my end. 

1. What programs/apps do you use to stress and test the CPU and GPU for your temperature readings. How long do you run these programs? Any guides?

2. Any good undervolting walkthroughs for this laptop? Preferably on YouTube, with voice. I'm very auditory, but will still look at any guide suggestions regardless.

3. What thermal temps should I be aiming for?

4. Any good guides on repasting? What thermal paste and pads are recommended?

5. I have heard that the back can be difficult to remove, or something. I don't want to ruin any of the parts or screws -- is there something that elaborates further on this?

6. If all else fails and I have to underclock i'm going to need to know how to do this as well, so once again looking for a guide. 

If you're interested in knowing the specs they are as follows :

Y540-17IRH

i7-9750H

RTX 2060

16GB RAM

512GB Solid State Drive

If you can only partially answer something that's ok. I appreciate any help I can get. 

Thank you!

Options

97 Posts

09-13-2019

Finland

173 Signins

2016 Page Views

• Views: 2016
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Just bought a y540. Bunch of questions before i boot up. (Thermals, overclocking, undervolting e

2019-10-07, 7:53 AM

wrote:

Hey y'all. 

1. What programs/apps do you use to stress and test the CPU and GPU for your temperature readings. How long do you run these programs? Any guides?

2. Any good undervolting walkthroughs for this laptop? Preferably on YouTube, with voice. I'm very auditory, but will still look at any guide suggestions regardless.

3. What thermal temps should I be aiming for?

4. Any good guides on repasting? What thermal paste and pads are recommended?

5. I have heard that the back can be difficult to remove, or something. I don't want to ruin any of the parts or screws -- is there something that elaborates further on this?

6. If all else fails and I have to underclock i'm going to need to know how to do this as well, so once again looking for a guide. 

If you're interested in knowing the specs they are as follows :

Y540-17IRH

i7-9750H

RTX 2060

16GB RAM

512GB Solid State Drive

If you can only partially answer something that's ok. I appreciate any help I can get. 

Thank you!

Hi.

I am a new Legion user like you, but have learned something. Bought laptop about a month ago, same as yours except 32Gb Ram and extra 1Tb HDD.

1.) I use CPUID HWMonitor for data about temps and stuff. For testing I have used OCCT and year 2016 game DOOM.

2.) This is the best I have seen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNt9L3BWOFo (originally got this hint from user Nexon.) CPU is different but I think that guide is valid. I have not tried undervolting myself.

3.) I think that under 90c° would be OK while gaming. I can get to those readings on Quiet mode. I also think that 9750H could run OK even max temps like 97-98c° but I am not comfortable with that high readings. So I use Quiet mode until we get the MAX FAN back.

4.) --- 

5.) There are videos about removing backpanel. I think they use a plastic playing card or something to aid.

6.) ---

-A-J-
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms