cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BlackReef
Paper Tape
Views: 491
Message 1 of 17

Just got a Lenovo Y500 IdeaPad - won't boot to Windows (stuck on Lenovo screen)

So the laptop was running on Windows 8.1 and I did the upgrade to Windows 10.  But now it won't boot to Windows at all.  It's just stuck at the Lenovo boot screen.  Been like this for three days now.  Also I get the "Preparing Automatic Repair" occasionally on boot and I can get to the Windows 10 recovery screen, but I can't do System Restore or anything because I don't have a Windows login.

I am starting to feel sick about any help would be appreciated.

Guru
Views: 482
Message 2 of 17

Re: Just got a Lenovo Y500 IdeaPad - won't boot to Windows (stuck on Lenovo screen)

Use the novo button to see if you can get into recovery and do a fresh install but keeping personal files

I am a volunteer in this forum and also a lenovo user. If i helped you, click on the kudos button!

BlackReef
Paper Tape
Views: 480
Message 3 of 17

Re: Just got a Lenovo Y500 IdeaPad - won't boot to Windows (stuck on Lenovo screen)

Thanks.  I can get into Recovery (Win 10) but I have no Windows 10 disc or USB - just downloaded from the Windows website.

In Recovery, I go to "Reset your PC"...and I just get a "There was a problem resetting your PC"...

Guru
Views: 478
Message 4 of 17

Looks like a corrupted installation. Its gonna be a pain to repair it manually (if possible and with lots of cmd commands). If you have any important files, take out the HDD and make a back up of them. The easiest way would be to download the iso from microsoft. There are 2 options to reset your pc. did you try both of them? also under advanced settings there are more options for recovery

I am a volunteer in this forum and also a lenovo user. If i helped you, click on the kudos button!

BlackReef
Paper Tape
Views: 466
Message 5 of 17

Thanks. So for "System Restore" or "Go Back To the Previous Build" in the Windows 10 Recovery it is prompting me for a password, which I have not set up yet. Is there a default password I can use?

http://imgur.com/KvKaYdw

Also I have access to another PC and I have a blank USB drive, and I have some options here:

http://imgur.com/jG5jpSS

Guru
Views: 458
Message 6 of 17

Did you try to enter the password you had back in windows 8?

Also this is the tool download windows
https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10

BlackReef
Paper Tape
Views: 455
Message 7 of 17

I've had the laptop for just a day and I never had to use a password to login to Windows 8.1 the few times that I did log in.  It doesnt look like any user or admin is setup.  Just says "Owner"

Guru
Views: 450
Message 8 of 17

Sounds stupid but did you try to just hit enter or click continue without entering password??

BlackReef
Paper Tape
Views: 439
Message 9 of 17

haha I will try that but first I found myself somehow in the OneKey recovery screen.  I was basically just playing with Windows 10 recovery options and found myself here...perhaps this is progress?

http://imgur.com/s8nIbmC

Guru
Views: 436
Message 10 of 17

Yup looks good. Altough the lenovo recovery is not the most reliable thing!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors