06-26-2020

ID

5 Signins

81 Page Views

• Views: 81
  • Message 1 of 6

Keyboard Backlight Doesn't Always Work!

2020-06-26, 8:50 AM

I just received the new Legion 5 with the AMD Ryzen 7. The keyboard backlighting doesn't always work, especially after my laptop is on sleep. I would have to restart my laptop to get the backlight to work, and even then sometimes Fn+spacebar doesn't turn the backlight on. im using the updated drivers. Also, all my other hotkeys are working. Any suggestions?

Options

274 Posts

03-11-2020

NO

47 Signins

1875 Page Views

• Views: 1875
  • Message 2 of 6

Re:Keyboard Backlight Doesn't Always Work!

2020-06-26, 11:56 AM

@ gamer_creeper wrote:

I just received the new Legion 5 with the AMD Ryzen 7. The keyboard backlighting doesn't always work, especially after my laptop is on sleep. I would have to restart my laptop to get the backlight to work, and even then sometimes Fn+spacebar doesn't turn the backlight on. im using the updated drivers. Also, all my other hotkeys are working. Any suggestions?

Hi there gamer_creeper.

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Have you had a look at the troubleshooting page - Cannot turn on backlight

Hope this helps.

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

I do not respond to private messages.

Options

5 Posts

06-26-2020

ID

5 Signins

81 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2020-06-27, 8:30 AM

I found that the current version of Lenovo Vantage didnt have any keyboard backlight feature so I had to downgrade to an earlier version. Using the downgraded Vantage, I could turn on the backlight to max setting, and if I used the fn+space hotkey it can only turn the backlight off. If I pressed the hotkey again it wouldn't turn the backlight on again, so basically all the hotkey can do at this point is to turn it off. I'm guessing this isn't a hardware issue (which would be a pain for me if I have to send it back since I'm doing a lot of work right now on my laptop).

It's a workaround to the problem I guess, but I would have hoped that some system update/patch or a tweak in the settings would make the fn+spacebar hotkey work as intended.

Thanks though, much appreciated

Options

5 Posts

06-26-2020

ID

5 Signins

81 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2020-06-27, 12:03 PM

Although the keyboard backlighting does work with the old Lenovo Vantage, I find that with the old Lenovo Vantage, the hardware monitoring such as CPU, GPU usage does not work.

I do hope Lenovo updates the Vantage software to include keyboard backlighting :(

Options

1 Posts

06-29-2020

US

2 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 5 of 6

2020-06-29, 1:10 AM

I have exactly the same problem with my new Legion 5i and it's very annoying. Seems there is an issue with the software / firmware. Please fix this Lenovo, if there are two of us with this same problem then  clearly where will be a lot more once this laptop gets into circulation.

Options

5 Posts

06-26-2020

ID

5 Signins

81 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2020-06-29, 5:20 AM

I searched around the internet and it's not just the two of us. I tried reinstalling lenovo utility and some keyboard drivers from lenovo but to no avail. By the way, some additional problems of my keyboard backlight includes the escape/fn lock indicator not working, while the caps lock and the num lock indicator works fine. Can you check if yours has the same issue? Sometimes i cant turn it off with fn+escape, but most of the time i cant turn it on (only the indicator light, the actual function keys toggle works fine)

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete