Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionGaming Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

10-28-2020

Egypt

4 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 1 of 9

L340-15IRH Gaming Laptop (ideapad) - Type 81LK - Thermal Thorttling at 74 C.

2020-10-28, 7:25 AM

Hi, so my laptop has been thermal throttling at 74 C lately which is extremely weird, as I haven't had any other laptop before that thermal throttled at this temperature. This started about a week ago, It happens when gaming, and it's causing constant FPS drops and performance issues, and at this point most games are unplayable. 

GPU Core Clock speed drops from 1800 MHZ+ to 1345 MHZ as soon as temperature hits 74 C, and the Core Clock Speed also fluctuates a lot at that point, it constantly increases a bit then drops down to 1345 MHZ again.

Also could it be caused by new windows 10 updates? Because I did a few updates recently.

I have no idea how to solve this issue, so I'd really appreciate the help.

Answer
Options

5 Posts

10-28-2020

Egypt

4 Signins

35 Page Views

Re:L340-15IRH Gaming Laptop (ideapad) - Type 81LK - Thermal Thorttling at 74 C.

2020-10-29, 4:41 AM

I fixed the issue !!! 

The laptop has two fans, and one was literally clogged to the point of not spinning, the vents were also clogged as well so they weren't getting airflow. 

I did a stress test after cleaning, and temperature didn't get past 66 C, and no fps drops anymore while before they used to sky rocket to 75 C as soon as I started the stress test. At idle temperature is 49 C.

Replies(8)
Options

2834 Posts

03-11-2020

Greece

330 Signins

14361 Page Views

• Views: 14361
  • Message 2 of 9

2020-10-28, 10:26 AM

Hi Ivy Naser,

Yes, this could most definitely be a Windows Update or any other kind of update. If you can't recall any updates coming up on Lenovo Vantage that you have done to system boards (BIOS/Chipset etc), then it's most likely Windows Update that messed something up.

Before we start any troubleshooting, I'd like to just mention that if the computer is old, then cleaning it with compressed air to remove dust and improve airflow would probably be the first good thing to do. Having that said, the computer throttling at 74 degrees, is rather a good indication that something is not entirely right, regardless of airflow/dust or whatnot.

Firstly we can try some of the troubleshooting steps below:

Step 1. Rolling back to a previous Win 10 Version :

- Open the Windows 10 Settings Menu by clicking the gear icon in the Windows Start menu, or by pressing “Windows+I” keys.

- Click “Update & security”

- Click the “Recovery” tab on the sidebar.

- Under “Go back to the previous version of Windows 10,” click “Get started.”

- After some elapsed time after last update(10+ days), this option is often not available. Please continue below.

Step 1.2. Using a Restore Point

- There should always be a "restore point" you can choose from "System Recovery"

- Click the Windows key and type "System Recovery" and click "Recovery" in the list.  

- Select "Open System Restore" - Click "Next" and select the latest "Restore point" where the device was working.

**Note: System Restore Points will only remove Apps and Programs installed after the selected Restore Point date. It will not remove word/text files or pictures etc.

Step 2. Disable Automatic Hardware drivers update

- Right click the Windows Icon, select the "Search" Function.

- Type "Control Panel" and select "Small icons" or "Large Icons" in the "View By" top right.

- Click the "System Icon"  

- Navigate to "Advanced System Settings" -> "Hardware"

- Click "Device Installation Settings" and Select "No"

**This will prevent Windows from interfering with your hardware drivers in future updates, but keep crucial security updates rolling.

In the event this does not work, continue below:

Step 3. Uninstall Display Device with drivers and reinstall:

- Press the Windows key + X and select "Device Manager"

- Expand "Display Adapters"

- Right click the AMD, NVIDIA and/or INTEL VGA devices and select "Uninstall"

- If prompted to uninstall drivers associated with the device, tick the box and continue.

- Perform a restart of the laptop. 

- Download and install the latest drivers from the Support Page.

Step 3.2. Updating the Chipset and Thermal Solution Drivers  

Make sure you have the latest Chipset, Serial I.O and Management Engine Interface(MEI), Dynamic Platform & Thermal Framework (DPTF) and/or Intelligent Thermal Solution (ITS) drivers for your device:  

You can find and install the newest drivers from the Lenovo Support Page

Just plot in the serial number of the device and hit enter, might have to press it twice, then head to Drivers & Software then Chipset section.

**Note: Make sure the AC adapter is connected and that you have at least 30% battery charge when performing this update.

- If the issue persists, continue below:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's two kinds of Throttling: 

• POWER THROTTLING - Power limit throttling limits the CPU speed to its rated TDP (Thermal Design Power) is the maximum amount of heat generated by a computer chip or component (often a CPU, GPU or system on a chip) that the cooling system in a computer is designed to dissipate under any workload.

• THERMAL THROTTLING - Reduces the CPU/GPU speed because of heat.

What you're describing is Thermal throttling, but thermal throttling can also be a caused by power throttling, as it might inadvertently affect fan speed and other performance controls.

See How to manage Power Throttling by Windows Central

I'll post some of the steps I find useful below:

Step 4. How to disable Power Throttling using power settings

Power Throttling activates automatically when your laptop isn't connected to a power source, which means that the quickest way to disable the feature is to plug it into an outlet.

Alternatively, you can set the power mode to "Best performance" to disable Power Throttling with these steps:

Click the battery icon in the notification area of the taskbar.

Use the slider to select the Best performance option.

Here's a description for each power mode on Windows 10:

Battery saver — Enables Power Throttling.

Better battery — Enables Power Throttling.

Better performance — Enables Power Throttling, but it's a more relaxed option.

Best performance — Disables Power Throttling.

Step 5. Checking Power Profiles.

I'd also advise to check if the Power Profile changes when you are plugging in the charger. Make sure it is set to Max Performance.  

Click the advanced settings in the power profile.  

Navigate to Processor Power Management Settings and Expand it.

Make sure it is on 100% on both Battery and Plugged in.

Step 6. Turning off thermal CPU throttling in Registry.

(ONLY if you are comfortable messing about in the Registry)

Hit Windows key + R to open RUN

Type regedit and hit enter to open Registry

Follow this path:

1. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power
  2. Right-click Power folder, select New, and click on Key.
  3. Name the key PowerThrottling and press Enter.
  4. Right Click the PowerThrottling you created, and select DWORD (32-bit) Value.
  5. Name the DWORD (32-bit) Value you created,  "PowerThrottlingOff" and hit OK.
  6. Right-click the newly created DWORD and select modify, set the value from 0 to 1. Select OK.

If the want to take advantage of the feature again, you can revert the changes using the same instructions, but on Path No. 6, double-click the PowerThrottling key and set the value from 1 to 0.

In the event nothing works above, then I'd suggest performing a System Reset back to factory settings:

Step 7. OKR - One Key Recovery

**This is a complete factory reset of the computer

**Loss of data can occur, so we advise you to backup your data if possible.

- Completely shut down the device.  

- Press the Novo Button It is the small reset hole on most devices that you need a unfolded paperclip to reach.  

- In case you do not own a device with a OKR button. You can also find out where it is or what reset function it is for your device at the support page under.

Knowledge Base & Guides -> User Guides -> And clicking the User guide(Not HTML one) in the list -> Ctrl+F to search the document for "Reset" and/or "Novo Button" / "Novo Hole"

- When the system boots up, a menu will appear, select System recovery and follow the recovery process.

- Important - When entering the Windows environment again. Perform step 2 before allowing any Windows updates.

Hope this helps

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Private Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

5 Posts

10-28-2020

Egypt

4 Signins

35 Page Views

• Message 3 of 9

2020-10-28, 14:31 PM

First thanks for helping I appreciate it

And I've literally tried everything except factory reset, and I even did a virus scan and no luck, the issue is still happening.

I am worried that this issue might persist even after a factory reset :/

Options

5 Posts

10-28-2020

Egypt

4 Signins

35 Page Views

• Message 4 of 9

2020-10-28, 14:53 PM

I just downloaded GPU-Z to check the current temperature limit, and apparently the temperature limit on my GPU is 87 C not 75 C. So I think it's more likely to be Power Throttle.

*EDIT I think I misunderstood it, the current temperature limit is 75 C, I am going to try to reroll to an older gpu driver and I'll see if that works.

Options

2834 Posts

03-11-2020

Greece

330 Signins

14361 Page Views

• Views: 14361
  • Message 5 of 9

2020-10-28, 15:01 PM

Yeah, if the limit is 75 as shown in the picture, then it makes sense that it throttles at 74 indeed. Shutting off power throttle should work, but thermal throttling is a completely different ball unfortunately :S

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Private Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

5 Posts

10-28-2020

Egypt

4 Signins

35 Page Views

• Message 6 of 9

2020-10-28, 15:06 PM

I think it might definitely be the either the fault of the newest Nvidia Driver, or Geforce Experience since I use it to update my graphics card's driver.

Geforce Experience may have done the stupid thing of recommending me the new driver for the Desktop GTX 16 Series, instead of the Notebook one lol

Answer
Options

5 Posts

10-28-2020

Egypt

4 Signins

35 Page Views

• Message 7 of 9

2020-10-29, 4:41 AM

I fixed the issue !!! 

The laptop has two fans, and one was literally clogged to the point of not spinning, the vents were also clogged as well so they weren't getting airflow. 

I did a stress test after cleaning, and temperature didn't get past 66 C, and no fps drops anymore while before they used to sky rocket to 75 C as soon as I started the stress test. At idle temperature is 49 C.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

18 Posts

11-20-2020

India

14 Signins

135 Page Views

• Views: 135
  • Message 8 of 9

2021-07-19, 3:12 AM
what about the temperatures while gaming
Options

18 Posts

11-20-2020

India

14 Signins

135 Page Views

• Views: 135
  • Message 9 of 9

2021-07-19, 3:19 AM

I get those temps while doing a CPU stress test. but when I play any game at high or medium graphics or when my gpu usage goes above 50% and cpu above 60% my laptop overheats so much 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms