Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionGaming Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

71 Posts

08-31-2020

United States of America

35 Signins

420 Page Views

• Views: 420
  • Message 1 of 2

Legion 5 15 - Windows Clean Install (not reset) - Worth it?

2020-08-31, 19:54 PM

Hi All,

I just purchased a Legion 5 15 and (while I wait for it to arrive) was wondering if anyone recommends an actual clean Windows install?   For any other laptop I would be very inclined to clean install in order to get the best performance. However, I've read in a couple of places that Lenovo's images are actually quite clean of bloat (other than AV and Office), which means, by the time I find all the drivers and "necessary software" it may not be worth it.

I would also be curious to know...if I clean install, is the Lenovo control software "really" needed for the best experience? Anyone tried?

Thanks for any advice!

Options

9 Posts

09-12-2020

Philippines

5 Signins

105 Page Views

• Views: 105
  • Message 2 of 2

Re:Legion 5 15 - Windows Clean Install (not reset) - Worth it?

2020-09-12, 3:45 AM

Yes. I fresh installed mine with Windows 10 LTSC as it is the most stable and cleanest edition of Windows. You don't really need Vantage if you don't tinker that much (but I did install it because I use features like Rapid Charging and Conservative Mode). I suggest you let Windows Update install the generic drivers automatically first and manually install the new drivers in Lenovo's support page. For graphics I always go to AMD and NVIDIA's sites for the latest drivers. Haven't had a problem so far and I got no bloat AT ALL (scripts work in Win10 Home/Pro but most of the time the bloat comes back after a while or they're not removable).

But before doing all of this I recommend you update the UEFI/BIOS first.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms