Options

5 Posts

09-17-2020

DE

3 Signins

60 Page Views

• Views: 60
  • Message 1 of 3

Legion 5 15ARH05 - Audio /Visual /Keys Backlight /AC Wifi /Win 10 Mediatool Update (or repair)

2020-09-17, 11:01 AM

Hello everybody, i bought my laptop last week and while setting it up to my needs i got to some problems.

First things first... I have the latest Bios and drivers installed ( up to this day ) and i´m on Win 10 2004 ( cant go back because its the first install from the media creation tool) 

1. Audio

In General, many sounds coming from the Laptop Speaker sound a bit distorted. Especially Windows Sounds! 

I can´t change the bit resolution in the speaker settings. Its put on 16 bit and greyed out. 

This is troubling for me because i wanted to use it for music production. It wont work with the Asio4all drivers correctly. When the Headphones are plugged in i can change the bit resolution of the headphones with no problems, why not for the speaker ?

Building up on 1.1 - While using my Music App with the System Audio driver i can hear the music without pops and crackles. Now plugging in the Headphones i can hear the sound from the Headphones. BUT when i unplug the headphones the laptop tells me that the audiodriver is not working. I have to go to the Settings and put the Audiodrivers back - Why is it not changing the Output automatically ? On my last Laptop there has never been a problem like this. 

Buildung up on all above - So, using my Music App with Asio4all gives me pops and cracks from the Laptop Speaker. Now (without changing anything in the settings) i plug the headphones in - i hear NOTHING! I´ll first have to go to the Asio4all Settings and change the output ( although all outputs are active - meaning they should change by themself), now having sound from the headphones without cracking and popping. Now when i unplug the headphones i hear nothing AGAIN!

I´ll have to go to the settings everytime i plug in or out the headphones. That is somewhat annoying as (you know what i mean) ! 

From my research in the webs the reason for the cracking and popping from the laptop speaker and no cracking and popping from the headphones while using Asio4all comes down to 1.1, the Bit Resolution. Because Asio4all and the System Audio driver have to use the SAME Bit Resolution to work properly. AND like i mentioned, i want to use it for music, so the 16 bits are in themself not the resolution i want to use. 

2. Visuals

In General many things on the screen look washed out ( or clipping a bit). I can read everything, but it seems harder than on my older laptop. Maybe my Eyes are used to the old screen ? 

On some websites some images are blurry. Its not happening everytime but there are many sites where it is happening. AND it is not even consistent, on the same site one image looks blurry, another is just fine. It even happends on the lenovo site. On Thumbnails it is there nearly all the time! Sometimes more, sometimes less. 

Examples: 

Here you can see my visual performance settings: 

(because its german : EVERYTHING is on and put on optimal visibility, so whats the matter ? )

3. Keyboard Backlight

After nearly every shut down of the system the keyboard lights are off. I have to put them on like everytime i power up the laptop. Same goes for Sleepmode. How can i change it to "last setting" ? Meaning it stays on the setting i put on.  No Dealbreaker, just annoying. 

4. AC Wifi

Although i have a router which has AC Wifi, i cant (really) use it. Between me and the router are about 3 to 4 meters (around 10 to 13 feet) and a wall. I can see the 5Ghz(AC) wifi and connect to it, but from itself the laptop would prefer the 2,4 GHz Wifi and NEVER connect by itself to the 5Ghz AC . Meaning after general start up or restart it connects with the 2,4 Ghz. 

I´ve done some speedtests in the browser with the 2,4 and the 5 Ghz and the 5 Ghz gives better results, so why doesn´t it connect to the 5 Ghz ? 

5. Win Mediatool Update (repair) 

After going down the webs about the things above i tried to "update" the win version for repair, but it gets stuck at the bootscreen or makes a recovery telling me the update is not possible. I´ve unplugged everything for the update ( even the mouse). 

6. Conclusions ?!?!

It seems the Laptop is not optimized yet and has many small things not working properly. It also seems that the Win 10 2004 Version is part of this Situation. 

These things can be worked out, but will they be worked out ? If yes, when ? 

While the points 2-5 are not nice, they are no dealbreakers and probably will be adressed in the near future, the first point with the audio is critical for me!  It looks like this could go down to realtek? Any more Information? 

Again, i have the latest Bios and drivers installed!  ( Maybe thats the problem ? ) 

If anybody can help about anything i already thank you in Advance. 

Options

5 Posts

09-17-2020

DE

3 Signins

60 Page Views

• Message 2 of 3

Re:Legion 5 15ARH05 - Audio /Visual /Keys Backlight /AC Wifi /Win 10 Mediatool Update (or repair)

2020-09-18, 11:09 AM

Now, with the help of Aida64 i got the information that the Audiochip is the Realtek ALC 257. But i cant get any information about this chip.... not mentioning drivers. -.-

I downloaded all drivers for my machine from the lenovo website and installed them again. So now the visuals are better than before. I dont know what the matter was. 

But sadly nothing changed for the audio. I also tried to disable the "GS Wavetable Synth" in Windows - nothing changed. 

It seems that i would have to sent my unit back. Very Sadly, because i really like the laptop. If it just would not "make problems" with my main purpose. :-(

Options

5 Posts

09-17-2020

DE

3 Signins

60 Page Views

• Message 3 of 3

Re:Legion 5 15ARH05 - Audio /Visual /Keys Backlight /AC Wifi /Win 10 Mediatool Update (or repair)

2020-09-18, 13:25 PM

In my desperate frustration i tried some things:

I tried to install Realtek HD Audio Manager ( although the Realtek ALC 257 is NOT listed as supported). The installation goes in 2 rounds, the first will deinstall the Audiodrivers - then restart - and install the new drivers on the second round. 

The deinstall goes without problems but after the restart it wont complete the installation and telling me that "there is no support for the installed hardware". 

THE CATCH : After the restart (in the installation progress) and just before the installation.exe goes in the second round - When i go fast in the Speaker Settings i can change the bit resolution. BUT all the menu points will disapear after some seconds ( ....at least when the second installation starts) and tell me that "the device you want to change is unplugged" . Now i cant change anything.

After closing and reopening of the speaker menu i can see the system has gone back to the old driver and the 16 bit are greyed out again. 

After the findings above i thought lets deinstall the Realtek Card in the device manager ( including the drivers - system asked me for that), restart the machine and take a look what win10 will do with that. 

Ok, so after restart i can hear ONE clicking pop every x seconds (not consistent, goes from below a minute to a few minutes) without anything playing. When i start music i can hear the music, but it will start with a pop, too. The Pop sounds a bit like you have your headphones on and plug them in and out. And while the music plays the clicking pops dont stop. Seems Win 10 installed some generic drivers ?! 

THE CATCH: In the Speaker Settings i can change the resolution to 24 bit and it will stay there. The Asio4all driver will work now without pops and cracks. BUT the ONE clicking pop every x seconds will remain. 

-.-

3. And another point... is here any support from lenovo ?  O.o

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete