09-16-2017

US

24 Signins

359 Page Views

• Views: 359
  • Message 1 of 2

Legion 5 15ARH05 - external USB hard drive works for all computers but this one

2020-09-21, 2:20 AM

I'm curious to know if anybody is having problems with external USB hard drives or if my problem is more likely the enclosure and hopefully NOT the USB ports.

I have a 1TB Toshiba SATA 2.5" disk in an external USB 3.0 enclosure that has been reliable for years but does not work with my Lenovo Legion 5, the AMD Ryzen 5 model. The drive connects enough to be detected and identified by Windows, but not enough to access the file system. The drive works fine on three different computers with Intel chipsets, one of which is an i3 Z68 over 11 years old.

Either...

1. the enclosure's SATA interface only works with Intel chipsets 
  2. the AMD chipset drivers aren't right or are buggy
  3. the Legion's USB ports don't provide adequate power for spinning disks

Characteristics:

• Windows chimes when the drive is plugged into a USB port 
  • the drive's LED flickers more than usual, then when flickering stops there's a brief Windows notification of the new drive & letter that quickly vanishes 
  • likewise for the list of drives in This PC Explorer view; the drive letter displays but then disappears if clicked 
  • the hdd sometimes shows up in Disk Manager with a drive letter but eventually disappears 
  • if/when the hdd is shown in Disk Manager, I'm sometimes able to delete & create a partition but formatting causes the disk to disappear 
  • the hdd make & model is always listed in Device Manager and is remembered when hidden 
  • at one point I noticed Error 45 for one USB item in Device Manager; it was uninstalled manually then reinstalled during reboot 
  • now all USB properties in Device Manager show "device is working properly"

Partial trouble shooting list:

• tried all four USB ports, recycled power, etc.
  • successfully connected other USB devices to the Legion and successfully connected the external hdd to other computers 
  • uninstalled hdd and USB drivers in Device Manager; everything has "latest drivers already installed" 
  • Windows hardware detection, new driver search and trouble shooting wizards are no help 
  • deleted the hdd partition on a different PC; managed to re-created partition on Legion after several connect attempts, but again, the disk can't be formatted 
  • no progress with other smaller disks in the enclosure, so size and disk type aren't the issue

No other USB issues. I've connected and used an external DVD drive (powered via USB), large and small thumbdrives, cordless and corded mice and a smartphone.

Options

8 Posts

09-16-2017

US

24 Signins

359 Page Views

• Views: 359
  • Message 2 of 2

Legion 5 15ARH05 - external USB hard drive works for all computers but this one

2020-10-06, 2:51 AM
Long story shortened, the drive works when connected to a Legion 5 with Intel inside.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete