Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionGaming Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

04-27-2021

Sweden

2 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 1 of 6

Legion 5 15ARH05, weird fan behaviour: fan never stops & profiles erratic

2021-04-27, 16:43 PM

Hello,

Since a few weeks, the fans on my Legion 5 ARH05 4800H are acting weird. Right after I updated to the latest EUCN31WW BIOS, the fans became a lot louder even though I'm mostly using the "quiet" mode. Sometimes, the fans would go silent after flicking through the modes back to quiet. I reverted back to EUCN28WW and applied default BIOS settings but I'm still seeing these issues. Most of the time, the fans are pretty loud even though I'm using "quiet" mode with "Ultra quiet" enabled in the BIOS.

The only way to completely stop the fan is the turn off the computer & let it cool down. After booting up, the fans are completely silent until I do something CPU-intensive  and the CPU temp goes over 55-60 deg and the fans start, as they should. Only problem is that they never stop after that, regardless what I do or which mode I choose. I don't even have to start Windows, the fans spin when in BIOS as well. 

Even if I limit the CPU in power options and make sure the stay below 40 deg using only a few watts of CPU power, the fans never stop unless I turn off the computer and let it cool down completely. 

Is there anything else I can do except for reflashing the BIOS & applying default settings before I turn this into warranty issue? I'm a musician and need a laptop which can be silent when needed.

Options

4533 Posts

04-23-2019

United States of America

677 Signins

29670 Page Views

• Views: 29670
  • Message 2 of 6

Re:Legion 5 15ARH05, weird fan behaviour: fan never stops & profiles erratic

2021-04-27, 17:58 PM

Hello @d3ck3r,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

I've checked this with support and they would recommend contacting service due to the nature of how the fans function currently.

I would personally recommend sending it in for repair.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Jack_Lenovo1

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

4 Posts

04-27-2021

Sweden

2 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2021-04-27, 18:27 PM

Ok, thanks! 

Options

4533 Posts

04-23-2019

United States of America

677 Signins

29670 Page Views

• Views: 29670
  • Message 4 of 6

2021-04-28, 15:38 PM

Hello @d3ck3r,

Thanks for writing back.

Glad I could help you out. If you have any other questions about your system don't hesitate to post again.

Regards,

Jack_Lenovo1

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

4 Posts

04-27-2021

Sweden

2 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2021-04-30, 19:39 PM

Hello,

This fan issue took an unexpected turn for the better. I contacted the Lenovo Premium support team and after a couple of questions, they though it would be a good idea to assign it to a technician. However, they did ask me to do a system restore to rule out any software related issues and as I realized I didn't want to part with my system drive in the event of a replacement, I bought and installed a new system drive. 

After cloning the drive & setting everything up, it seems the fan is back to normal again. It's really silent now as long as I stay in quiet mode.
I'm still on EUCN28 BIOS.

I guess I wouldn't recommend anybody to replace the system drive to get rid of fan issues but maybe SMART if the old drive was reporting high temps?

Options

4 Posts

04-27-2021

Sweden

2 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2021-05-01, 5:08 AM

I might have found the reason for the fan glitch: when digging into the problem, I checked all temps using HWInfo. I noticed that the Tctl/Tdie temp was a lot higher than any of the cores and it fluctuated in a different way as well. 

After replacing the main m.2 ssd and the fan went back to normal operation, the Tctl/Tdie is temp very close to those of the cores, esp during all core loads. So, for some reason, the Tctl/Tdie readings had some temporary glitch, forcing the fan to run loud even when it wasn't needed.

Does anybody know what's included in the Tctl/Tdie temp?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms