Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionGaming Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

11-16-2020

Philippines

3 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 1 of 5

Legion 5-15IMHO5H fans never seem to turn off even on idle

2021-04-07, 12:58 PM

I have a fairly new Legion 5 and I noticed that the fans never seem to turn off/ or are noisy even when on idle. Sometimes, the vents push out warm air as laptop is starting up and the fans become audible even when under little stress. Is this is a common situation among Legion 5 units? If it isn't, what can I do to address this?

For additional information, I have the latest BIOS update (EFCN48WW) and all of my drivers are updated. The attached file/ image are the temperatures when the laptop is on idle (no programs opened)

Answer
Options

2140 Posts

03-11-2020

Greece

233 Signins

10936 Page Views

• Views: 10936

Re:Legion 5-15IMHO5H fans never seem to turn off even on idle

2021-04-07, 13:31 PM

Hi whatkarl,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

For gaming devices, this is fairly common as the hardware is a good deal more heavy then most laptops. The device is sporting a RTX 2060 that also needs a good amount of cooling a long with the rest of the hardware, due to themselves generating more heat as they require more power/have a higher TDP(Thermal Design Power). Therefor the fans needs to run more often to compensate. Even when not under heavy stress, the laptops are fairly small compact electrical power houses that will heat up and require fan control.

Having that said, there is always the chance that there's some mixed messages from BIOS and other Firmware drivers that make hardware, so do make sure you have the newest BIOS, Chipset, Serial I.O, Management Engine Interface drivers, Power Management and Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework drivers (if available) for your device:  
You can find and install the newest drivers from the Lenovo Support Page
Just plot in the serial number for your device and hit enter, might have to hit it twice. Then head to Drivers & Software then the BIOS, Chipset and Power Management section.
**Note: Make sure the AC adapter is connected and that you have at least 30% battery charge when performing the BIOS update.

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Private Message; questions belong in the forums.

Replies(4)
Answer
Options

2140 Posts

03-11-2020

Greece

233 Signins

10936 Page Views

• Views: 10936
  • Message 2 of 5

2021-04-07, 13:31 PM

Hi whatkarl,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

For gaming devices, this is fairly common as the hardware is a good deal more heavy then most laptops. The device is sporting a RTX 2060 that also needs a good amount of cooling a long with the rest of the hardware, due to themselves generating more heat as they require more power/have a higher TDP(Thermal Design Power). Therefor the fans needs to run more often to compensate. Even when not under heavy stress, the laptops are fairly small compact electrical power houses that will heat up and require fan control.

Having that said, there is always the chance that there's some mixed messages from BIOS and other Firmware drivers that make hardware, so do make sure you have the newest BIOS, Chipset, Serial I.O, Management Engine Interface drivers, Power Management and Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework drivers (if available) for your device:  
You can find and install the newest drivers from the Lenovo Support Page
Just plot in the serial number for your device and hit enter, might have to hit it twice. Then head to Drivers & Software then the BIOS, Chipset and Power Management section.
**Note: Make sure the AC adapter is connected and that you have at least 30% battery charge when performing the BIOS update.

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Private Message; questions belong in the forums.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

2 Posts

11-16-2020

Philippines

3 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2021-04-08, 12:20 PM

Thanks for taking the time to respond! This finally gave me an answer my questions. It does make sense that the fans never seem to turn off because of the 2060 housed inside the laptop. Thanks again! 

Options

2 Posts

04-10-2021

Germany

3 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 4 of 5

2021-04-10, 21:30 PM

This still doesn't make sense for me. I can turn the RTX 2060 off and I can watch the CPU (Ryzen 4800H) temperature. When idling it is often only at a temperature of around 35 °C, but the fans are still on, noticably hearable. I just don't understand why. And these modes, like quiet, balance and performance mode, or even in BIOS ultra quiet mode, they seem to be like pseudo modes, they are changing nothing at all at my Legion 5.

Options

8 Posts

04-13-2021

Czech Republic

7 Signins

130 Page Views

• Views: 130
  • Message 5 of 5

2021-04-13, 0:46 AM

No, it does not make sense. It is common that fans run when gaming, but NOT when idling. When browsing, graphics card does nothing and CPU is not doing much. Temps can be around 30°C, but the fans are still spinning, which does not make sense.

Why are the fans spinning even when idling? Why the lowest fan speed is so high? Why the fan curve is not smoother but the fans are changing speed abruptly? And most importantly, why there is no way to adjust the fan curve manually?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms