Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionGaming Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

14 Posts

04-23-2021

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

10 Signins

90 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 90
  • Message 1 of 15

Legion 5 Pro (16ACH6H) Wireless issue

2021-06-09, 20:12 PM

Hello everyone.

I have a strange issue with my 5 Pro.

When connecting to the router using a 5Ghz connection, I am getting random spikes every 30 seconds.

Performing a continuous ping to 8.8.8.8, I get a constant 2/3ms ping time, which climbs to over 300ms for 3 pings, then goes back to normal.

When performing the same test using ethernet, the problem disappears.

I have tried changing the wireless channels on the router, but it makes no difference.

All drivers are up to date.

Can anyone suggest a fix? Or is it a Realtek issue?

Thanks in advance.

Options

14 Posts

04-23-2021

10 Signins

90 Page Views

• Message 2 of 15

Re:Legion 5 Pro (16ACH6H) Wireless issue

2021-06-10, 16:27 PM

Found a workaround by turning off auto-configuration on the Wi-Fi card when gaming.

In doing so, I get a steady connection.

Options

3108 Posts

04-23-2019

United States of America

588 Signins

23859 Page Views

• Views: 23859
  • Message 3 of 15

2021-06-10, 16:34 PM

Hello @simonpieman21,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Kindly try performing a network reset on the machine.

This is done by searching for Network reset in the start menu then rebooting the machine once done.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Jack_Lenovo1

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

14 Posts

04-23-2021

10 Signins

90 Page Views

• Message 4 of 15

2021-06-10, 17:41 PM

@ Jack_Lenovo1 wrote:

Hello @simonpieman21,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Kindly try performing a network reset on the machine.

This is done by searching for Network reset in the start menu then rebooting the machine once done.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Jack_Lenovo1

Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately, it makes no difference.

I am not sure if it is heat-related when the laptop is in performance mode, or whether it is a general Windows "feature".

The issue can be easily replicated when pressing on the wireless icon in the taskbar. With a continuous ping in a cmd prompt,  it goes from 2ms to over 300ms for 3 pings, and then drops down to 2ms again. 

If I turn off autoconfigure on the WiFi card, the problem disappears.

I am sure others will have the same issue, albeit they may not notice if playing on ethernet, which is unaffected.

Options

14 Posts

04-23-2021

10 Signins

90 Page Views

• Message 5 of 15

2021-06-12, 7:42 AM

After some further testing, the workaround I found does not resolve the problem.

So gaming is not an option on Wi-Fi, as games freeze periodically, cause me to lose matches etc..

I can only get a rock-solid connection on ethernet.

Can anyone else with the 5P Pro confirm that the spikes I am seeing are normal when gaming or do I have a duff Wi-Fi card?

Options

14 Posts

04-23-2021

10 Signins

90 Page Views

• Message 6 of 15

2021-06-12, 9:05 AM

Does  anyone have the Intel Wi-Fi Card in their laptop and if so what is the performance like?

I have the Realtek RTL8852AE.

Options

3566 Posts

04-02-2014

Mexico

2532 Signins

40089 Page Views

• Views: 40089
  • Message 7 of 15

2021-06-14, 15:39 PM

I dont have this laptop, but once when I did have an unstable wifi connection it was due to a loose wire. I do not recommend opening the laptop if you are not comfortable, but since this problem gets resolved when you play using ethernet, it does sound like a wifi card issue.

You can try starting the laptop in safe mode and see if the wifi card still shows those ping spikes. Just load basic applications in safe mode.

Another thing to try is to see if these spikes are temp related or happen as soon as you boot the laptop?

What if you use your phone as a hotspot, connect the laptop to your phone and run the test. Do you still see ping spikes?

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
Options

14 Posts

04-23-2021

10 Signins

90 Page Views

• Message 8 of 15

2021-06-14, 15:58 PM

@ rockykoston wrote:

I dont have this laptop, but once when I did have an unstable wifi connection it was due to a loose wire. I do not recommend opening the laptop if you are not comfortable, but since this problem gets resolved when you play using ethernet, it does sound like a wifi card issue.

You can try starting the laptop in safe mode and see if the wifi card still shows those ping spikes. Just load basic applications in safe mode.

Another thing to try is to see if these spikes are temp related or happen as soon as you boot the laptop?

What if you use your phone as a hotspot, connect the laptop to your phone and run the test. Do you still see ping spikes?

After some further testing, it does seem that heat could be the issue. When my son plays Fortnite, you start to see packet loss, as soon as he joins a game. We have managed to replicate this on both Wi-Fi and Ethernet. While I would expect it on Wi-Fi, it should not happen on ethernet.

The keyboard also very hot on the right hand side and the fans are going like the clappers in performance mode.

Have tested Fortnite on my PC, which is connected to the same router and has none of the problems exhibited on the Lenovo.

Options

3566 Posts

04-02-2014

Mexico

2532 Signins

40089 Page Views

• Views: 40089
  • Message 9 of 15

2021-06-14, 16:12 PM

So my next question is how is the laptop positioned while gaming? Is it on a desk, in the lap, on the bed?

I'll be honest, gaming laptops need care to regulate heat and certain steps can help manage this better -

1) Ensure that heat vents are not blocked.

2) Play with the laptop on a desk, preferably slightly propped up to assist air flow.

3) Use a room with air conditioning or a fan directed at the laptop to keep it cooler.

Then, there are some advanced mechanics to manage heat such as reducing max processor power under power options>advanced power settings which should help.

With the hot weather going on, you may need to take these steps.

Its the same principle, if your router stays in hot environment for too long it will also start to perform bad and may even break (if the temps get too high).

Let me know if you have more questions on how to reduce heat. Buying a laptop cooler is a decent solution too, even cheap coolers will work, you can find some on amazon for as low as $20.

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
Options

14 Posts

04-23-2021

10 Signins

90 Page Views

• Message 10 of 15

2021-06-15, 15:45 PM

@ rockykoston wrote:

So my next question is how is the laptop positioned while gaming? Is it on a desk, in the lap, on the bed?

I' be honest, gaming laptops need care to regulate heat and certain steps can help manage this better -

1) Ensure that heat vents are not blocked.

2) Play with the laptop on a desk, preferably slightly propped up to assist air flow.

3) Use a room with air conditioning or a fan directed at the laptop to keep it cooler.

Then, there are some advanced mechanics to manage heat such as reducing max processor power under power options>advanced power settings which should help.

With the hot weather going on, you may need to take these steps.

Its the same principle, if your router stays in hot environment for too long it will also start to perform bad and may even break (if the temps get too high).

Let me know if you have more questions on how to reduce heat. Buying a laptop cooler is a decent solution too, even cheap coolers will work, you can find some on amazon for as low as $20.

Ok. Further testing done today with my son on the Lenovo and me on my PC. 

We are both connected to the same router via ethernet, in the same room.

Started a game of Fortnite, playing against each other.

My son has packet loss on the Lenovo, whereas my PC has none whatsoever.

I even bought a laptop cooler from Amazon, which has several fans. The laptop is titled at around 30-degrees on the cooler.

Laptop is going back for a replacement.

Something is definitely wrong!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms