Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionGaming Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

06-08-2021

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

5 Signins

35 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 35
  • Message 1 of 4

Legion 5 Pro CPU clock constantly boosting

2021-06-12, 15:07 PM

Hi.

I have recently received a Legion 5 Pro and I have noticed that to CPU clock is constantly boosting even when the laptop is idle on the desktop.

I had previously noticed a very high temperature of 100°. I found that when the laptop was waking from sleep mode that boost was getting stuck on so I have disabled sleep mode and that seems to have stopped it from getting stuck at max speed but it still constantly jumps up and down when sitting idle.

I have the latest BIOS update installed already and have checked for any other updates through the Vantage App and it says everything is up to date

I have never had a gaming laptop before but I assume that this is not normal behavior especially since the laptop is not actually doing anything.

I have attached two separate screen grabs showing the erratic clock speed.

Any help much appreciated

Thanks

Options

977 Posts

01-04-2018

United States of America

526 Signins

6696 Page Views

• Views: 6696
  • Message 2 of 4

Re:Legion 5 Pro CPU clock constantly boosting

2021-06-12, 23:45 PM

You might benefit from undervolting your laptop. It's basically a must for gaming laptops these days, since your CPU is going to produce unnecessary heat with that extra power going through it.

You can't directly change when the CPU should boost, but you can go to the battery icon in the task bar -> right click -> Power Options -> Change plan settings -> Change advanced power settings -> Processor Power Management. From there, you can change the maximum processor state so that the CPU does not go beyond a certain threshold. This, however, is not recommended for maximum performance.

If you decide to undervolt, you will likely not notice at all when your CPU boosts since the heat will be greatly reduced and the fans won't kick up.

EDIT: I also believe the laptop allows for fan control by using the Fn+Q combo. This hints to the laptop when you do or don't care about how loud the fans will be.

Options

5 Posts

06-08-2021

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

5 Signins

35 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 35
  • Message 3 of 4

2021-06-13, 7:01 AM

Thanks for your reply.

Yes FN-Q changes between quiet, auto and performance. It has been in auto when the speed has been constantly jumping about but can here no change in fan speed when it does. Also Afterburner shows no extra demand and little to no extra power demand. 

Do you think this is a fault of some kind? 

I'm still within my return period so not sure If I should exchange it or not. I'm not particularly technical but assume that it is not good for the long term life of the processor?

Thanks

Options

977 Posts

01-04-2018

United States of America

526 Signins

6696 Page Views

• Views: 6696
  • Message 4 of 4

2021-06-13, 7:29 AM

If it’s not overheating then there’s no issue with the CPU boosting. I run my CPU at forced boost clock speeds and my temperatures stay low depending on the load.

If the CPU is still overheating with auto or quiet mode, then undervolting is going to be your friend.

It’s possible that a replacement will solve the issue, but its no guarantee - different machines will have differences. I’d say to do this as a last resort if undervolting doesn’t work.

If you don’t know where to start, here’s a guide:

https://www.ultrabookreview.com/31385-the-throttlestop-guide/

EDIT: Also, go to task manager and check your CPU load and let me know.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms