Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionGaming Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

6 Posts

04-14-2021

Poland

6 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 1 of 12

Legion 5 screen brightness seems dimmed

2021-04-14, 12:09 PM

Hello, I own a Lenovo Legion 5-15ARH05 1x AMD Ryzen 7 4800H 8GB DDR4 3200 GeForce GTX 1650 Ti 4GB 15.6 FHD 120Hz for a few days. I added 8Gb RAM and installed Win10 Pro. The screen brightness suprises me - it looks dimmed. According to spec, the screen has max of 250nits. Some say it's enough, others that it's not that much. Anyway, I can change the brightness using keyboard or Win settings. But if I scroll to the minimum it is practically darkness. At about 50% I can see something, but it is still dark - I would say looks like 60% of grayscale. To be honest I can work on maximum level (maybe also one less). Comparing to my 7-year old Toshiba it looks like 100% Legion equals to ab. 60-70% of Toshiba. Seems not comfortable knowing that I am already working at the maximum. When the very bright day comes I feel it will be a problem. So, I wanted to know if this is some kind of issue or just this model works like that and there is nothing one can do? I cannot see a place for additional settings regarding screen brightness...

Regards

Options

5009 Posts

04-23-2019

United States of America

701 Signins

31630 Page Views

• Views: 31630
  • Message 2 of 12

Re:Legion 5 screen brightness seems dimmed

2021-04-14, 13:09 PM

Hello @gldfish,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Kindly try updating the AMD and Nvidia VGA drivers of the machine.

You can download them here: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/rs/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/legion-series/legion-5-15arh05/downloads/driver-list/component?name=Graphics%20Processing%20Units%20%28GPU%29

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Jack_Lenovo1

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

6 Posts

04-14-2021

Poland

6 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 3 of 12

2021-04-14, 14:50 PM

I can try that. But I registrated the product on Lenovo support website and there was an option of checking drivers. I did that, something was updated, nvidia I think. Then I installed Lenovo Ventage and checked updates - something regarding gaming was updated but nothing more. Do you think that other driver would do the work?

And if you suggest driver update, does it mean that situation I described is not something normal in this model?

Options

5009 Posts

04-23-2019

United States of America

701 Signins

31630 Page Views

• Message 4 of 12

2021-04-14, 16:20 PM

Hello @gldfish,

Thanks for writing back.

Kindly try the drivers in the support site first as you may have updated drivers installed.

However Windows updates and other things can go wrong with drivers reinstalling them will often fix the issue.

Regards,

Jack_Lenovo1

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

6 Posts

04-14-2021

Poland

6 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 5 of 12

2021-04-15, 8:57 AM

@Jack_Lenovo1 - thank you for an answer. I've updated the drivers with the ones on the Lenovo support page. Both updates were succesfull. But I don't think this has changed anything regarding screen brightness. No matter if I run AMD or change to nVidia in BIOS. Both work the same. The only thing I found was the AMD graphics utility. There is an option for VARI-BRIGHT which adjusts the brightness. It was turned on. I changed the sensivity and finally turned off this function. To be honest didn't see any changes on the screen. Second thing is color adjustment in the same utility. I managed to make the color temp colder, color brightness, contrast and saturation a little higher. Now it looks like the screen is brighter a little.

But still, in my opinion, if the brightness levels are from 0 to 100%, I think that 0-70% are simply not workable. And the 100% is ok for working in office. Wonder how would that be outside the building on a shiny day. And I'm courious what level of brightness does Legion users set for daily work :)

Options

5009 Posts

04-23-2019

United States of America

701 Signins

31630 Page Views

• Message 6 of 12

2021-04-15, 14:11 PM

Hello @gldfish,

Sorry for the late reply.

Would it be possible for you to send a photo of the display so that I can see it?

Regards,

Jack_Lenovo1

Options

6 Posts

04-14-2021

Poland

6 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 7 of 12

2021-04-15, 15:20 PM

Well, I have to think how to take a photo so that it shows the actual look of the screen. With no camera enhancement etc. For know I have a photo I took some time ago with the brightness toggled to the minimal position. It looks almost black but actually in real it is almost black indeed. Hardly see any icons/windows. Not sure why would that be useful. My Toshiba has 8 levels of brightness. The lowest Toshiba level equals to ab. 50-60% of the one in Legion...

Tomorow I will try to send photo or video of brighter level.

Regards

Options

6 Posts

04-14-2021

Poland

6 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 8 of 12

2021-04-16, 7:13 AM

I tried with video but it's pointless. The camera does not imitate a real feeling. I probably expected that if desktop monitors or LED TVs can be very bright, the screen in 2021 gaming laptop would be too. As I wrote at the beginning it has 250 nits. From my feeling, Legion should have 300-400 nits at least. With this specs it doesn't outperform a 7-year old Toshiba and I really think it should.

I also figured out that my feeling is probably more about the screen color hue than brightness. Legion looks like the "Cinema" settings on TV while the "Dynamic" or "Sport" would be much better - if you know what I mean :) But there are no settings like that. Only the mentioned AMD utility helped a little. Color temp 9000, luminosity a little less while contrast a little more. That gives a better feeling for screen brightness overall. Maybe this would help someone too.

I think nothing more can be done. Just wanted to be sure that this model works like that and what are other users opinion.

Options

5009 Posts

04-23-2019

United States of America

701 Signins

31630 Page Views

• Message 9 of 12

2021-04-16, 15:44 PM

Hello @gldfish,

Sorry for the late reply.

I checked the photo and that seems to be a little too dark.

If you have already tried adjusting brightness and updating the drivers it would be possible that this is a hardware issue.

I would suggest reaching out to service for assistance under the warranty of the machine.

You can reach them at +48-22-295-4950 or +48-22-263-9893.

Regards,

Jack_Lenovo1

Options

6 Posts

04-14-2021

Poland

6 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 10 of 12

2021-04-17, 20:13 PM

I went to the pc store where I bought the laptop. They have there one Legion on exhibition and we compared the brightness scale. Looks exactly the same. So this isn't hardware issue. It seems to be just specification of that screen. So we can treat this thread as closed I think. Thank you very much for all information and help.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)