Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionGaming Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

11 Posts

02-16-2021

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

14 Signins

105 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 105
  • Message 1 of 33

Legion 5P 15ARH05H micro stutters

2021-02-19, 14:10 PM

Product# 82GU0000UK

I'm experiencing micro stutters at least 3 times a day.

Regardless of system load the sound will garble and any task from gaming, listening to music to just browsing  will stutter for about 3 seconds before returning to normal.

Things I have done.

Flashed to latest bios (FSCN18WW)

updated all system / hardware drivers

complete system recovery using lenovo usb recovery

reinstallation of windows

physically swapping the ram and nvme harddrive out.

tried exclusively switching to discrete and hybrid modes (no difference to problem)

lenovo diagnostic tools report no errors both on quick and full diagnosis.

There is no error or warning messages related to the stutter events in the windows system logs.

The sound also randomly mutes if I turn off the microphone. Disabling the audio input devices from system manager stops this though.

I really like this laptop besides this annoying stuttering problem but wonder if problems are inherent to this model. I've seen threads posted with the same problems 'freezing' 'stuttering' 'audio' and have tried the solutions but with no success.

I'm all out of ideas and I am contemplating returning the machine for a refund.

Options

3108 Posts

04-23-2019

United States of America

588 Signins

23859 Page Views

• Views: 23859
  • Message 2 of 33

Re:Legion 5P 15ARH05H micro stutters

2021-02-20, 1:43 AM

Hello @cccat,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

I would like to help out would you mind posting a sample of the stutter either via video or audio clips for added clarity?

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Jack_Lenovo1

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

11 Posts

02-16-2021

14 Signins

105 Page Views

• Message 3 of 33

2021-02-20, 10:04 AM

This is very tricky to do since it seemingly happens randomly throughout the day. I can't anticipate when the event will occur.

The best way to describe it is this scene from the matrix where he wakes up (yes bear with me) The sound seems to slow down until it sounds like auto-tune tones except it repeats for about 2-3 seconds. The mouse and system regardless of task or system load lags for the same amount of time.

https://youtu.be/NpyaKWY9HOc?t=108 

maybe unrelated but I found a vague overclocking entry in the bios "restore default overclocking" set to disable whilst I was checking to see if there was any form of throttling taking place. The thermals were all reasonable and HWinfo monitor reported no throttle on CPU or GPU at any time from a variety of intensive and normal tasks.

Does anyone know what the entry does? There's practically no information on it from a search except people asking the same question.

Options

1 Posts

02-21-2021

Romania

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 4 of 33

2021-02-21, 19:28 PM

I currently own the same model and I am experiencing the same issues quite randomly actually , I observed a pattern though , It tends to happen mostly when my headphones are plugged in via audio jack, also maybe a weird bug that I am currently having is that I am unable to change my audio source via windows selector

Options

15 Posts

01-10-2021

10 Signins

150 Page Views

• Views: 150
  • Message 5 of 33

2021-03-05, 11:48 AM

Hi there,

I have a slightly different model - Legion 5 15ARH05H Type - 82B1, but I'm having almost exactly the same issue as you describe.

It randomly started happening a week or so ago. The audio kind of "grinds" for 1-2secs then sometimes the video lags behind.

Also had the problem start around the same time that audio would disable, however the volume mixer showed audio playing. Fn F1 to mute then unmute seems to fix that, but it is annoying.

I thought it was a GPU issue, but it happens using the AMD or NVIDIA GPU, on battery or plugged in doesn't seem to matter. It's not browser related either because it has happened in Firefox safe mode and using my default video player.

Scans and troubleshoot cannot detect any problems, uninstalling/reinstalling drivers did not work. Disabled everything I can think of to pinpoint the issue, but as you say, it seems totally random and it's hard to catch.

Support say it has to be sent for repair. The machine is only 2 months old and I have had to reset multiple times already due to other issues.

Did you happen to find a fix? I really can't be bothered with it anymore. Tried everything I can think of.

Regards.

Options

11 Posts

02-16-2021

14 Signins

105 Page Views

• Message 6 of 33

2021-03-05, 13:39 PM

I returned mine for a refund in the end as there seems to be no official acknowledgement to the problem let alone a working solution. The only thing I didn't get around to trying was replacing the ax200 wireless card as I've seen elsewhere regardless of laptop it can cause system wide stutters.

I would ask about getting a new replacement or refund if I were you as I wouldn't trust a thorough diagnositic and repair in any return to base. They could skim through the tests, pass and report it as working without a proper teardown or inspection.

Good luck and hope all works out for you.

Options

15 Posts

01-10-2021

10 Signins

150 Page Views

• Views: 150
  • Message 7 of 33

2021-03-05, 14:53 PM

I honestly can't say I blame you for getting a refund. I'd bite their hand off at this point!

I have emailed the company I bought from, but as I'm past the 30 day period it's likely down to Lenovo.

No disrespect, but I think you're right, I have a funny feeling it will be factory reset and send back. A temporary fix I'm sure and something I can easily do from home.

I have messed around a little with network fixes, reset/updated my current hub, tried an old router. I even thought it was possibly my VPN but nothing works.

Anyway, thanks for the reply. I hope you have better luck with the new machine if you bought one.

Regards,

AL.

Options

11 Posts

02-16-2021

14 Signins

105 Page Views

• Message 8 of 33

2021-03-05, 15:12 PM

see attachment

The ax200 is the wifi card inside the laptop with the two wires attached. I noticed that the card is right next to the nvme harddrive. The wires run below the harddrive and there's no shielding between them so it's possible theres eletromagnetic interference between the two components causing system stutter.

The only remaining possibility I can think of is if you remove that harddrive and put it in the spare 2nd nvme harddrive slot which is on the otherside clear of the wireless card to test this theory. See the 2nd attachment for the 2nd open nvme slot.

edit: To clarify there's a piece of screwed in metal that shields both the components to the wider system and acts as a heatsink for the nvme but nothing to shield the 2 components from each other.

edit2: just noticed the audio jack for the headphones is on the right in the first attachment so the audio component could well be in the mix with poor shielding too.

Options

1 Posts

11-16-2020

Chile

4 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 9 of 33

2021-03-09, 2:55 AM
put it in the spare 2nd nvme harddrive slot is the solution? I have the same problem, 15ARH05H micro stutters
Options

1 Posts

03-08-2021

Ukraine

12 Signins

45 Page Views

• Views: 45
  • Message 10 of 33

2021-03-09, 14:19 PM

Hi everyone,

I`m experiencing the same problem with my Legion 5 15ARH05H with ryzen 7 4800h and rtx 2060 on board. Tried everything posted in this tread and lots of other tweaks. No results. I guess problem is related to BIOS particularly with amd and nvidia combo. The friend of mine has Legion 5 with I5 10300h and gtx 1650 and it performs smoothly with no complains on stutters. Also I left Latency monitor running for a while and i "caught" stutter with it. I attach what it showed. I wish Lenovo will find solution ASAP. Good luck all!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms