Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionGaming Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

11 Posts

12-02-2014

India

15 Signins

55 Page Views

• Views: 55
  • Message 411 of 481

Re:Legion 5P 15ARH05H micro stutters

2021-10-09, 11:08 AM

You may try the developer branch of windows 11. stable had garbage performance on my laptop.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/q2hog8/windows_11_users_suffering_from_performance/

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-400

AMD has confirmed All Ryzen Processors have performance bugs on windows 11 stable.

Be warned that you may not be able to revert to stable branch without a clean install.

Options

24 Posts

07-31-2021

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

27 Signins

190 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 190
  • Message 412 of 481

2021-10-09, 11:49 AM

I have turned off PSP on legion 5 pro bios

That is the only thing I have changed

Will let you guys know how I fair with stutters this weekend to see if they have eased with this simple test

@ brokenaimbot wrote:

The stutter came back when I upgraded to windows 11. Noted the only things I changed to enable the upgrade were enabling AMD PSP and secure boot from the bios. I reinstalled windows 10 with AMD PSP and secure boot still on and the random stutters came back. I then turned them off but the stutters and audio pop persisted for a day but appear to have gone since. I'll try installing drivers with these features turned off on my next windows 11 attempt.

AMD PSP seems to be a black box security feature that has a sub OS embedded within and no one outside of AMD has any idea of the full scope of it's activities and capabilities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_Platform_Security_Processor

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1353904-amd-ftpm-causing-random-stuttering/

Options

11350 Posts

08-17-2015

Slovakia

26926 Signins

591608 Page Views

• Views: 591608
  • Message 413 of 481

2021-10-10, 18:59 PM

If anyone should be wondering where to find the above mentioned AMD PSP Setting, I have highlighted it on the following screenshot from the BIOS (under Security):

Juraj
German, Czech & Slovak Community Lead

EN : Welcome to the Community! Have you already participated in the forum survey? Please, let us know what you like about our forum and what we can improve. We listen to your feedback!

DE : Willkommen in der Community! Hatten Sie bereits an der Foren Umfrage teilgenommen? Wir benötigen die folgenden Informationen. Wir hören zu und lesen Ihre Kommentare gerne!

CZ/SK : Vítejte v Komunitě! Už jste se zúčastnili našeho průzkumu fóra? Potřebujeme následující informace. S radostí posloucháme a čteme vaše komentáře!
_
Communities: English Deutsch Español Portugues Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Moto English
_

Options

24 Posts

07-31-2021

27 Signins

190 Page Views

• Message 414 of 481

2021-10-11, 11:29 AM

@ Joe0908 wrote:

I have turned off PSP on legion 5 pro bios

That is the only thing I have changed

Will let you guys know how I fair with stutters this weekend to see if they have eased with this simple test

@ brokenaimbot wrote:

The stutter came back when I upgraded to windows 11. Noted the only things I changed to enable the upgrade were enabling AMD PSP and secure boot from the bios. I reinstalled windows 10 with AMD PSP and secure boot still on and the random stutters came back. I then turned them off but the stutters and audio pop persisted for a day but appear to have gone since. I'll try installing drivers with these features turned off on my next windows 11 attempt.

AMD PSP seems to be a black box security feature that has a sub OS embedded within and no one outside of AMD has any idea of the full scope of it's activities and capabilities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_Platform_Security_Processor

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1353904-amd-ftpm-causing-random-stuttering/

So far I have tested my legion 5 pro with PSP disabled for about 2-3 days (about 24 hours of use)

So far no stutters

Looks like disabling PSP has helped me

Will keep testing and update later this week

Options

11 Posts

09-10-2021

Kazakhstan

17 Signins

65 Page Views

• Views: 65
  • Message 415 of 481

2021-10-11, 12:28 PM
Turned off AMD PSP last Saturday. Didn't see any stutter since, although sat through Sunday with my laptop. Will test further, let's hope that was THE issue.
Options

104 Posts

01-10-2021

69 Signins

735 Page Views

• Views: 735
  • Message 416 of 481

2021-10-11, 13:24 PM

Hello,

Been a while.

So this is likely the cause after all this time? My word!

I was going to post again last week, I had literally months of no issues and last Mon/Tue it started throwing its stuttering tantrums again out of nowhere.

I have still not updated Windows, Vantage updates still off, still running minimal programs to avoid issues. About to reinstall yet again, I checked here and saw this. Turned off PSP and haven't noticed anything since.

It makes sense now, and this is all something we have in common despite differing models.

Windows 11 will be fun if this issue hits the public on a larger scale, eh?

One strange thing for me was that it took 2 reboots for the BIOS change to stick. No idea why? It was still showing disabled, so be sure to double check in PowerShell with get-tpm.

Did anyone try clearing TPM cache too? I'm not sure if it's necessary?

I really hope this is the cause and we can all just get on with our lives! I'd still be very curious as to what causes it if this is indeed the root cause.

Options

57 Posts

08-01-2021

104 Signins

405 Page Views

• Views: 405
  • Message 417 of 481

2021-10-11, 18:12 PM

No stutters so far since updating to windows 11 directly after installing the default windows 10 from lenovo utility recovery software. All drivers and OS up to latest versions. Just had to enable AMD PSP as a requirement for the windows 11 installation. I disabled it immediately afterwards.

I'm still apprehensive as I've been here before with regards to a solution but I'm encouraged by feedback from others here. And the issue seems to be repeatable on desktops and laptops alike with AMD processors with PSP enabled from what I've found elsewhere.

Options

1 Posts

10-11-2021

5 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 418 of 481

2021-10-11, 20:21 PM

I received my L5P just over a month ago and I believe I'm having a similar issue to a number of users within this tread.

My micro stutters only appear to happen when on battery power however, when the laptop is plugged in I don't receive any. I'm almost unable to watch any Youtube video on battery power as there will be audio and visual stutters every few seconds yet as soon as I plug the charger in, no stutters occur. Same power mode (Lenovo balanced) but the difference is night and day. I've tried reinstalling graphics drivers, audio drivers, altering settings in BIOS and also altering settings within the Lenovo power plan to no avail. 

Really stumped as to what could be impacting the videos so badly when on battery. Tempted to upgrade to W11 but I can't see this fixing the issue. I've also tried disabling the setting in the BIOS as noted above with no success. 

Options

104 Posts

01-10-2021

69 Signins

735 Page Views

• Views: 735
  • Message 419 of 481

2021-10-12, 10:44 AM

@ brokenaimbot wrote:

No stutters so far since updating to windows 11 directly after installing the default windows 10 from lenovo utility recovery software. All drivers and OS up to latest versions. Just had to enable AMD PSP as a requirement for the windows 11 installation. I disabled it immediately afterwards.

I'm still apprehensive as I've been here before with regards to a solution but I'm encouraged by feedback from others here. And the issue seems to be repeatable on desktops and laptops alike with AMD processors with PSP enabled from what I've found elsewhere.

Absolutely!

No way am I accepting it as "fixed" after all this time. A few stutter-free days is great, but there is still very little trust left for me. One of the reasons I was going to post last week was because I was astounded how this issue could lie dormant on my machine after months of no issues, no major updates, bare minimum programs etc. It's actually pretty disturbing.

Fingers crossed anyway! Let's hope others have similar luck. I hope people will update here after some testing time has passed.

Options

24 Posts

07-31-2021

27 Signins

190 Page Views

• Message 420 of 481

2021-10-14, 15:19 PM

Since disabling PSP in bios I have not had a single stutter.

I'm still reluctant to call this a 'fix' and long term testing is required - but at least this is something you can pass onto your engineers @Juraj_Lenovo  

I am optimistic because I have tried multiple things to resolve the stutters (windows reinstall, driver/bios resets, vantage disable) and this is the only thing that has produced long(ish) term results

We will see if they re-appear but so far so good

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms