Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionGaming Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

31 Posts

09-13-2021

Ukraine

32 Signins

210 Page Views

• Views: 210
  • Message 441 of 481

Re:Legion 5P 15ARH05H micro stutters

2021-10-20, 18:15 PM

@ rjsh wrote:

@ Chibchu wrote:

@ dipanzan wrote:

I have the Legion 5 Pro (16ACH6H), and I have the dreaded stutters like everyone here. 

Here's my findings:

If you use the Windows Media Player from W10, and try to move the application or just fast-forward/rewind the song, then there's a huge lag.

The stutters are also completely random, and acts for like 1-2secs where the audio is garbled and completely unresponsive.

Going through the thread, I disabled AMD PSP, and that seemed to help a bit. I play CSGO occasionally, reason for buying such a laptop aside from school/work - and there's this undeniable lag ingame. My network is fine, as it's LAN but I get like low FPS and that shouldn't be the case on such hardware (5800H + 3070 + 32GB).

It's very disheartening that I payed so much for this laptop and there's this huge issue where it wasn't even mentioned on the reviews. :(

EDIT: Does W11 fix these issues, or is it still plaguing users even on the newer version of drivers/windows?

I'm on W11 and still obtaining stutters/freezes so W11 isn't a panacea

I just came across this https://github.com/jobeid/TrayPwrD3.

It's clear that it has something to do with integrated graphics (hence, the hybrid on mode that is affected). I'm also trying to see if using AMD Radeon Software in "Normal" mode as opposed to "Power Saving" stops the stutters

As an aside, A few posts suggested changing Optimus options but I don't see the "Display mode" option to control Advanced Optimus in Nvidia Control Panel, is this the same for everyone? 

Yep, you can't change display options when optimus is on

Options

10 Posts

08-09-2021

Malaysia

6 Signins

55 Page Views

• Views: 55
  • Message 442 of 481

2021-10-21, 0:03 AM

Have you guys try installing drivers from AMD official website? Last time I tried turn off the Hybrid mode. to install the driver (AMD driver only able to detect AMD CPU if we turn off Hybrid). but right after installed. Laptop will straight go screen stuttering, screen display problem all appear, flickering, vertical lines. all that. It only happen on Legion 5 Pro. If you change driver back to Lenovo driver. Problem will gone. However for info. Doing this will cause your PC SSD to break also, meaning your Windows ISO inside SSD data will broken. Windows will not able to do a refresh install from local. 

I got a friend using Legion 5 with AMD. no issue after installing driver from AMD. My friend he no use driver from Lenovo.

Options

7 Posts

10-20-2021

United States of America

4 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 443 of 481

2021-10-21, 7:24 AM

Some good news! I might have run into some positive results after a long long time. Been 8 hours without the context menu or WiFi button stutter. Testing it in Hybrid Mode. Did not face any stutters either on battery or plugged in. Fingers crossed.

After my previous message, I saw that I was using an older version of AMD Radeon Software (Neither Vantage nor Windows recommended the update). I used the automatic detect and install from the AMD site. Now I have the newest drivers and also FreeSync which was not shown on the earlier version

Old:

New:

Options

31 Posts

09-13-2021

Ukraine

32 Signins

210 Page Views

• Message 444 of 481

2021-10-21, 7:33 AM

@ rjsh wrote:

Some good news! I might have run into some positive results after a long long time. Been 8 hours without the context menu or WiFi button stutter. Testing it in Hybrid Mode. Did not face any stutters either on battery or plugged in. Fingers crossed.

After my previous message, I saw that I was using an older version of AMD Radeon Software (Neither Vantage nor Windows recommended the update). I used the automatic detect and install from the AMD site. Now I have the newest drivers and also FreeSync which was not shown on the earlier version

Old:

New:

How is that possible that you haven't OEM video driver? Windows update service usually overrides any not OEM drivers to OEM ones

Options

7 Posts

10-20-2021

United States of America

4 Signins

35 Page Views

• Message 445 of 481

2021-10-21, 7:39 AM

@ Chibchu wrote:

@ rjsh wrote:

Old:

New:

How is that possible that you haven't OEM video driver? Windows update service usually overrides any not OEM drivers to OEM ones

Which driver version are you on? 

I updated to the latest AMD drivers from https://www.amd.com/en/support

Windows Update has not been suggesting any drivers for the AMD GPU

Options

31 Posts

09-13-2021

Ukraine

32 Signins

210 Page Views

• Message 446 of 481

2021-10-21, 8:01 AM

@ rjsh wrote:

@ Chibchu wrote:

@ rjsh wrote:

Old:

New:

Which driver version are you on? 

I updated to the latest AMD drivers from https://www.amd.com/en/support

Windows Update has not been suggesting any drivers for the AMD GPU

I'm not in contact with my laptop now so I can't say which version i use. But that's strange. Previously, when i was on W10 and tried drivers from AMD website, windows update was downloading and installing OEM video drivers from lenovo with any update checking. 

Also, installing fresh drivers from AMD page haven't helped me when I was on W10

Options

7 Posts

10-20-2021

United States of America

4 Signins

35 Page Views

• Message 447 of 481

2021-10-23, 5:11 AM

What we're observing sounds very similar to a Intel Integrated + Nvidia issue that has been discussed for ages

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/partially-fixed-intel-nvidia-laptop-freeze-problem/93e7004a-62b1-4211-8e37-4c136608865e?auth=1&page=1

I see 0.5s  spike in Nvidia GPU when the lag occurs. It's probably Optimus/Windows not playing well with the AMD GPU causing this

Options

31 Posts

09-13-2021

Ukraine

32 Signins

210 Page Views

• Message 448 of 481

2021-10-23, 11:03 AM

@ rjsh wrote:

Old:

New:

That is what i said you about. When you update drivers to non OEM, Windows update will download OEM drivers in all cases

Options

3 Posts

10-25-2021

India

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 449 of 481

2021-10-25, 9:38 AM

Hello Everyone,

I have been following this thread for long time and am happy that finally you guys got rid of the stutters after disabling the PSP.

My query is, my legion 5 laptop is almost 6 months old now and I started getting this micro stutter issue 2 weeks back. I am NOT having stuttering for normal use but while gaming it is showing the fps above 60 but still I can feel there is stutter. (I am aware of the difference between lags and stutter).

Previously I was not using any application to show the FPS, CPU Temp, etc So I was not aware of what are the normal CPU temperatures while gaming. Now I am using MSI Afterburner with HWInfo, the temp I can see is between 60 to 80 most of the time and sometimes it reaches 90 or 92 for a very small period of time. How can I know if it is thermal throttling or what? And temp should I consider CPU(Tctl/Tdie) or CPU Core.

Also, in the windows update utility its showing that windows 11 is available to download, do you think upgrading to windows 11 will help me.

Options

11 Posts

09-10-2021

Kazakhstan

17 Signins

65 Page Views

• Views: 65
  • Message 450 of 481

2021-10-26, 7:27 AM

Guys,

Has anyone tried the new BIOS update? 

I'll install it now and test for a day with AMD PSP *turned on*,  let's see if stutters are addressed in this update. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms