Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionGaming Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

11 Posts

09-10-2021

Kazakhstan

17 Signins

65 Page Views

• Views: 65
  • Message 451 of 481

Re:Legion 5P 15ARH05H micro stutters

2021-10-26, 7:34 AM

Update notes:

FSCN20WW:

BIOS Notification :

1. Fixed

1) Fix system sometimes does not keep battery conservation mode.

2. Add

1) N/A

3. Modified

1) N/A

EC Notification :

1. Fixed

1) N/A

2. Add

1) None.

3. Modified

1) N/A

There seems to be nothing on our problem. Well, it is what it is.

Options

3 Posts

10-25-2021

India

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 452 of 481

2021-10-26, 8:03 AM
Thanks. Let us know if it works........
Options

55 Posts

07-09-2021

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

20 Signins

200 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 200
  • Message 453 of 481

2021-10-26, 13:05 PM

I thi8nk it is down to cheap memory, built during the pandemic when many hardware items were not available. 

Lenovo Legion 5 AMD Ryzen 7-5800H 16GB 512GB SSD 15.6 Inch FHD GeForce RTX 3070 8GB Windows 10
Options

140 Posts

05-09-2017

184 Signins

733 Page Views

• Views: 733
  • Message 454 of 481

2021-10-26, 13:31 PM

@ Nikhil_Wak wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I have been following this thread for long time and am happy that finally you guys got rid of the stutters after disabling the PSP.

My query is, my legion 5 laptop is almost 6 months old now and I started getting this micro stutter issue 2 weeks back. I am NOT having stuttering for normal use but while gaming it is showing the fps above 60 but still I can feel there is stutter. (I am aware of the difference between lags and stutter).

Previously I was not using any application to show the FPS, CPU Temp, etc So I was not aware of what are the normal CPU temperatures while gaming. Now I am using MSI Afterburner with HWInfo, the temp I can see is between 60 to 80 most of the time and sometimes it reaches 90 or 92 for a very small period of time. How can I know if it is thermal throttling or what? And temp should I consider CPU(Tctl/Tdie) or CPU Core.

Also, in the windows update utility its showing that windows 11 is available to download, do you think upgrading to windows 11 will help me.

It is not thermal throttling. Use HWinfo64 to see temps and throttle status and ditch MSI Afterburner (it isn't needed). Also, go to Nvidia Control Panel and enable low latency to 'On'. Do not use the Ultra mode.

Never ever use V-Sync. You can set a global FPS cap via Nvidia Control Panel but it is best (IMO) to use RivaTuner Statistics Server to globally cap FPS (despite having a 144hz monitor my global cap is 120 so uncapped competitive games needn't have their own profile). You can also set FPS caps for individual applications or whitelist them from being capped, which is useful for those apps that don't play nice with RTSS.

If you aren't already, always run the thermal mode as quiet. Auto mode used to be good before a BIOS update ruined it. 90s are fine for spikes in heavy single-threaded applications. A max temp reached for a second tends to worry people. Your average is more important.

Last piece of advice: worry less and enjoy games more.

I have Windows 11 and it is mostly fine (so far) but with some bugs here and there. I would advise you wait but that's entirely up to you.

Options

3 Posts

10-25-2021

India

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 455 of 481

2021-10-29, 6:00 AM

Thanks for the Help....

I have been using HWinfo64. I am seeing, it is not being thermal throttled. One thing also I noticed is CPU utilization and GPU utilization is much less than 80% at that time also it is dropping fps like crazy like 7 fps, 3 fps for a couple of seconds and then again back to 100 fps (That too when there is not so movement on the screen which can challenge CPU and GPU time). This laptop is a beast for the games and setting I am playing at, doesn't look like the CPU and GPU are struggling to provide the performance. I have not done any changes in the BIOS like disabling the PSP setting yet, as I was not sure if it is the same issue as other guys are facing.

Let me know your suggestions and what do you think should I upgrade to windows 11 to see if this issue resolves?

Please find my HWInfo64 screenshot in the attachment.

Thank you!!!!

Options

1 Posts

12-16-2020

Portugal

4 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 456 of 481

2021-10-31, 17:51 PM

@ RS377 wrote:

I received my L5P just over a month ago and I believe I'm having a similar issue to a number of users within this tread.

My micro stutters only appear to happen when on battery power however, when the laptop is plugged in I don't receive any. I'm almost unable to watch any Youtube video on battery power as there will be audio and visual stutters every few seconds yet as soon as I plug the charger in, no stutters occur. Same power mode (Lenovo balanced) but the difference is night and day. I've tried reinstalling graphics drivers, audio drivers, altering settings in BIOS and also altering settings within the Lenovo power plan to no avail. 

Really stumped as to what could be impacting the videos so badly when on battery. Tempted to upgrade to W11 but I can't see this fixing the issue. I've also tried disabling the setting in the BIOS as noted above with no success. 

Hey I had the same problem and just fixed it by disabling hardware acceleration option on my browser (Brave). For anyone having this problem consider doing the same or change your browser and see if the problem still persists.

Options

30 Posts

09-13-2021

Ukraine

31 Signins

205 Page Views

• Views: 205
  • Message 457 of 481

вновь:Legion 5P 15ARH05H micro stutters

2021-11-01, 22:44 PM

Greetings to everyone. So, i decided to do some stuff again and what really i noticed again. Looks like it's not even a problem only with AMD video drivers (i tried fresh ones from AMD website) or like i thought (and could be) sata controller. It's really a complex problem that tightly chained between AMD video drivers and hybrid mode. In my case to check if problem has gone i reboot laptop and then click on icons bar. If it shows with stutter and cursor freezes that means problem is here. If not, everything is fine.

To sum up, i can't say what especially i or others can do. It looks like a very low leveled problem with drivers which can be solved only by OEM.

Thanks

(reinstalled Windows several times to be sure with it)

Options

103 Posts

01-10-2021

68 Signins

730 Page Views

• Views: 730
  • Message 458 of 481

2021-11-02, 11:11 AM

@ Chibchu wrote:

Greetings to everyone. So, i decided to do some stuff again and what really i noticed again. Looks like it's not even a problem only with AMD video drivers (i tried fresh ones from AMD website) or like i thought (and could be) sata controller. It's really a complex problem that tightly chained between AMD video drivers and hybrid mode. In my case to check if problem has gone i reboot laptop and then click on icons bar. If it shows with stutter and cursor freezes that means problem is here. If not, everything is fine.

To sum up, i can't say what especially i or others can do. It looks like a very low leveled problem with drivers which can be solved only by OEM.

Thanks

(reinstalled Windows several times to be sure with it)

I think the key thing here is that disabling PSP/tpm seems to be the universal fix for many people regardless of their setup.

Many of us here have been suffering for close to a year, but I have no doubt it goes way further back than that. Another problem is that if you search for "PC stutters" or something similar, you will likely get every other result or "fix" before this.

The only reason this seems to have come to light is that it is a requirement for Windows 11 (yes, you can bypass it) and people have noticed the correlation between enabling tpm and getting the horrendous stutters that they did not have before. That light bulb moment did seem to come to those of us that have had this enabled by default since day one. It certainly didn't for me, even with all the other things we've all tried.

Regardless of who is to blame and where the permanent solution comes from (likely AMD), I personally refuse to believe it is not known about further up the ladder, and has been for some time. Bottom line is that it needs to be fixed.

I honestly hope this gains more traction when more people start to upgrade to Windows 11. This really needs to be pushed to the front of the roadmap.

Options

103 Posts

01-10-2021

68 Signins

730 Page Views

• Views: 730
  • Message 459 of 481

2021-11-02, 11:13 AM

@ nomadlad wrote:

Guys,

Has anyone tried the new BIOS update? 

I'll install it now and test for a day with AMD PSP *turned on*,  let's see if stutters are addressed in this update. 

Any luck with that so far? Stutters, no stutters? I highly doubt it, but it's worth asking.

Personally not brave enough at this point to be messing with BIOS updates.

Options

25 Posts

03-04-2019

United States of America

37 Signins

156 Page Views

• Views: 156
  • Message 460 of 481

2021-11-02, 12:06 PM

No stutters since the new BIOS update released, (AMD security processor turned on). Great advice before the bios update turn back the security feature. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms