Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionGaming Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

6 Posts

12-29-2020

Tunisia

9 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 61 of 385

Re:Legion 5P 15ARH05H micro stutters

2021-07-24, 12:42 PM

i verified if it was a thermal throttling but at 40-50 degree i dont think. As you can see there was not programs that consumes a lot the time when it's happening.

Im using the original adapter

Options

20 Posts

03-04-2019

United States of America

30 Signins

131 Page Views

• Views: 131
  • Message 62 of 385

2021-07-24, 13:14 PM

Today I reached a new level of this ***** machine. I got a fancy BSOD screen, (VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE), no overload no throthling whatsoever, (just normal browsing :) ). 

So I done DDU several times.... (before each step DDU)

1:

I downloaded a new driver from the original lenovo site and installed them (as it mentioned here before by a support guy).

Result: BSOD

2:

Download the nvidia and amd grapics drivers from the official manufacture sites.

3:

I let the windows opdate do the dirty work.

4:

Updated from the great Lenovo Vantage software.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Summary: 4 BSOD dump file :) Thanks lenovo <3 

(Fresh windows install, image from the official microsoft page, sfc /scannow -> 0 error)

Soo I had enough about this I'll send it back to repair.... 

The worst thing about this that I dont know the reason... I work in the IT side of the world and I dont know the exact solution... I showed it to my senior colleague, and he said maybe component fault or design error.....

Options

9 Posts

03-07-2021

Mexico

9 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 63 of 385

2021-07-24, 14:54 PM

I solved that particular issue by going to nvidia control panel and changing power management to maximum performance then reboot and try latencymon again

Options

25 Posts

02-16-2021

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

50 Signins

335 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 335
  • Message 64 of 385

2021-07-25, 13:29 PM

So one of the common denominator seems to be these 'amazing' ryzen zen 1, zen 2, zen 3 processors. And it seems this particular issue has been about years and largely ignored by amd themselves and seem to persist across all architectures from 3600x desktops to the latest 5900h mobiles.

Again this fix didn't fix things for me but I'm posting a video of a potential fix from the guy with the french accent on the off chance it might help someone here

Options

25 Posts

02-16-2021

50 Signins

335 Page Views

• Message 65 of 385

2021-07-25, 15:10 PM

Tried out on a friends laptop, the latest and most hyped gaming laptop of the year a legion 5 pro (5800h + RTX 3070). As you can see the problem is still persistent.

a variation on how to produce the issue originally discovered by @challenger00102

Options

54 Posts

07-09-2021

19 Signins

200 Page Views

• Views: 200
  • Message 66 of 385

2021-07-25, 15:26 PM

This is exactly what i get, disable the touchpad . But I only get it with usb devices connected 

Lenovo Legion 5 AMD Ryzen 7-5800H 16GB 512GB SSD 15.6 Inch FHD GeForce RTX 3070 8GB Windows 10
Options

77 Posts

01-10-2021

50 Signins

480 Page Views

• Views: 480
  • Message 67 of 385

2021-07-27, 17:07 PM

Hello all,

I just wanted to give an update.

Well, the day I made that video, the stuttering became unbearable! The worst it has ever been. So, I decided to reinstall Windows yet again. This is the 11th time in 7 months and this will be my last.

I decided to try the offline install method @Challenger00102 recommended (I hope you get that issue fixed by the way). I wanted to leave it at least a week before posting and so far I have not had a single freeze/stutter, so a big thank you! (praying not to jinx myself again). Here's what I did:

1) Install offline via USB Media Creation Tool

2) Once installed, connect to the internet and let Windows do its updates.

NOTE: The only driver I installed from Lenovo was the AMD VGA driver, which I did using the DDU/safe mode method. Windows installed the correct driver, but it doesn't seem to come bundled with the Radeon settings app, and since AMD removed the Radeon settings app from the MS store I believe that is the only way to get it? You get an error otherwise. The integrated graphics look awful without it! Everything is so washed out. I think it is to do with AMD's Vari-Bright? Without the settings app it must default to maximum battery saving mode or something?

3) Update MS Store apps. They will need it, and this fixes the icons being plain white since they were installed offline.

4) Disable MS Store auto updates (personal preference, plus I don't want the Vantage app updating)

That is where I left it for 2 days, I used it with minimal programs installed and had no freezes whatsoever. So, I installed the rest of my usual things and made a fallback backup before trying the dreaded Vantage app!

5) Install Lenovo Vantage from MS Store and disable auto updates within the app ASAP!

6) No freezes???

As much as I hate solutions being " Oh, just reinstall Windows " because it is a hassle, however, I think this is annoying enough to warrant it. For those willing to try, there may be something to this offline install method. Plus, if you take a full system backup beforehand, you can be back to where you were in no time if need be.

I will update if the freezes return or continue to stay away. Hopefully the latter!

Best of luck folks!

P.S - @cccat I checked those drivers and mine are just the default Microsoft ones. I'm curious as to what they were before reinstalling but it's too late to check. Hopefully it helps someone, and having as many possible fixes in one thread can't be a bad thing.

Thanks everyone.

Options

77 Posts

01-10-2021

50 Signins

480 Page Views

• Views: 480
  • Message 68 of 385

2021-07-27, 17:15 PM

Oh, I should add a word of warning in case anyone tries this.

The Vantage app is still trying to force the potentially suspect driver on me @Challenger00102 mentions in post #42.

This seems to be related to the Network Boost function because that does not work, it tells me to install a driver when toggled on. If that's an important feature for you, you may need to risk those drivers.

Of course, some Fn functions are still broken, and conservation mode resets itself. Having bluetooth on still helps keep conservation mode active though.

Options

25 Posts

02-16-2021

50 Signins

335 Page Views

• Message 69 of 385

2021-07-27, 17:35 PM

So I checked with a few people who have legion machines 2020 and 2021. The battery fn toggle stutter thing doesn't happen at all on their legion 5 (2020) and legion 5 pro (2021) machines. The consensus is that this is definitely down to faulty hardware especially as the fn / mute keys aren't working as intended on top of the stutter issues and the wifi not being stable.

My friend (Legion 5 pro) raised a tickect with the video proof posted here and they approved return/warranty/servicing within the hour. I think they know about this problem internally but aren't publicly acknowledging this to prevent a mass recall as there must be many out there unaware this isn't a software/driver issue.

I returned my non lenovo laptop too which suffers the same problem. I guess if any of you guys still have warranty (1 year) you should consider getting it RMA'd with the videos as proof before it runs out. It's probably a straight out motherboard replacement which you can't easily do yourself.

I might go back to a traditional desktop setup after all this which was what I wanted in the first place before PC components got stupidly expensive last year.

Good luck

Options

20 Posts

03-04-2019

United States of America

30 Signins

131 Page Views

• Views: 131
  • Message 70 of 385

2021-07-29, 7:37 AM

Yeah actually. Sending back is the only way if you still have warranty. I don't beleive in the faulty driver theory anymore, because I got the stutter after installing fresh windows and official drivers....  (after 2-3 weeks of useage I got the problems :) , and some bonus BSOD).

GLHF guys with the warranty service :)

(And I hope the warranty service workers report this error to Lenovo, because I think its a faulty serial thing)

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms