Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionGaming Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

05-02-2021

Singapore

4 Signins

45 Page Views

• Views: 45
  • Message 1 of 6

Legion 7-16ACHg6 Fan Curve Control

2021-05-03, 2:36 AM

Hello, I'm a new owner of Legion 7 with 5900HX + RTX3080 and would like to stop the GPU from ramping the fan so aggressively once it hits 70 degrees Celsius. Is there any way i can tweak the fan curve?

EDIT: to be clear, i'm already in Quiet mode, with CPU turbo boost disabled, and the fan noise is still extremely noticeable and quite irritating

Options

11 Posts

05-02-2021

Sweden

11 Signins

45 Page Views

• Message 2 of 6

Re:Legion 7-16ACHg6 Fan Curve Control

2021-05-03, 9:06 AM

Dunno but maybe MSI Afterburner and set a manual curve? Laptops get hot though...

Options

5 Posts

05-02-2021

Singapore

4 Signins

45 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2021-05-03, 9:12 AM

I'm not able to control the fans from MSI afterburner, the entire section is greyed out.

Thats the thing though, I want it to get a bit hotter, there is no reason for the fan to be so aggressive when its only 70 degrees internally. I would rather it be quiet and hover about 80

Options

2834 Posts

03-11-2020

Greece

326 Signins

14351 Page Views

• Views: 14351
  • Message 4 of 6

2021-05-03, 10:55 AM

I know this is not the answer anyone wants when buying laptops, but I do believe there's big misconception that Gaming Laptops, and especially the new ones with 11th gen Intel CPU's/500 series AMD CPU's and 200/300 Series GPU's are supposed to be running as quiet or close to normal and older laptops. 

These devices are beasts crammed into a very small space compared to their desktop counterparts. Now, the Thermal Design Power (TDP) of these laptops are far lower than that of desktop devices, yes, but they are also far more then that of regular laptops and older gaming laptops, most of the time at least. It's a reason why these devices are in desperate need of the 240-300W power supplies/chargers they come shipped with. 

These TDP's (GPU W) are quite high compared to older gaming laptops, and extremely high compared to non gaming laptops, and since fan technology hasn't really advanced much with it, the devices rely on proper and smarter airflow solutions through the system and bigger/better heatsinks to compensate for the intense heat generated not only by the GPU, but the entire . This is a problem when laptops are becoming slimmer/smaller , but the hardware is becoming bigger and better.

However, having said all this, there could obviously be that the BIOS driver is messing with the power consumption and fan control, it could be Lenovo Vantage or Lenovo Power/Energy Management or Chipset drivers for that matter, but if you have everything up to date and the fans are still running "loud", then Q-Control (Quiet Mode), can only do so much. You won't be able to force quiet mode if the system is in desperate need of cooling. 

If you haven't updated everything possible as mentioned above (BIOS, Chipset, Windows), then I'd suggest doing so, but if the device is still showing high fan activity when it came out of the box new as well as after updating every driver possible, then this is just how these laptop gaming beasts work, until fan/cooling technology catches up.

Updating System Board Drivers (If available)

Make sure you have the newest BIOS, Chipset, Serial I.O, Management Engine Interface drivers, Power Management and Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework drivers for your device:  
You can find and install the newest drivers from the Lenovo Support Page
Just plot in the serial number for your device and hit enter. Then head to Drivers & Software then the BIOS, Chipset and Power Management section for their respective drivers.
**Note: Make sure the AC adapter is connected and that you have at least 30% battery charge when performing the BIOS update.

Best Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Private Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

11 Posts

05-02-2021

Sweden

11 Signins

45 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2021-05-04, 5:49 AM

👍🏼

Options

5 Posts

05-02-2021

Singapore

4 Signins

45 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2021-05-05, 13:27 PM

I think there is a bit of confusion here, I'm simply asking for more control over the fan speeds so I can decide the temperature vs noise tradeoff. Regarding hardware power I already throttle the power usage heavily, as I mentioned the temps are barely breaking 70 degrees under full CPU and GPU load.

Its quite ridiculous that this "gaming" laptop has less control over the built in fans than even my MacBook Pro on bootcamp, where software like MacsFanControl can easily tweak the fan curve.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms