Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionGaming Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

12-25-2020

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

4 Signins

15 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 15
  • Message 1 of 13

Legion 7i (15IMH05) - Disable RGB from BIOS?

2020-12-25, 9:44 AM

I'm a part time gamer and I also do engineering. I bought this laptop because it's powerful enough to run my heavy work software and games.

However, I don't want to the laptop to flash rainbows in my face and around the device every time I turn it on or wake it from sleep. Corsair configurations only work after Windows is booted. I'm familiar with some workarounds like pressing [Fn] during boot, but that's not even close to a solution.

I want to completely disable RGB during my business and professional environment (the laptop looks sleek and nice for such work), and turn it on again on my own.

I looked in BIOS (normal and advanced options) but couldn't find anything related to turn off RGB. Help me please, I cannot keep using my device around like this.

Options

21 Posts

08-03-2020

United States of America

175 Signins

960 Page Views

• Views: 960
  • Message 2 of 13

Re:Legion 7i (15IMH05) - Disable RGB from BIOS?

2020-12-25, 11:50 AM

This topic has already been covered on here and it doesn't look like Lenovo is going to fix this disaster.  Like you, I bought this laptop for its horsepower and port placement, not it's twinkle lights.  It's unfortunate that I assumed that these lights would not start up until iCue loads in Windows startup at which time it would read a profile that turns everything off.

This is my first Lenovo computer and it's looking like it may be my last.

Lenovo, if you're seeing this won't you please respond.

Here's a link to another thread on the subject:  https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Gaming-Laptops/Stop-the-RIDICULOUS-Spiral-Rainbow-Keyboard-backlight-effect-Let-us-turn-it-off/m-p/4552233

Options

44 Posts

04-23-2020

Yemen

69 Signins

715 Page Views

• Views: 715
  • Message 3 of 13

2020-12-25, 12:19 PM

Facing the exact same issue with my Legion 7i, along with other colleagues who own Legion 7 and Y740. Can't seem to resolve the issue.

We're all waiting on Lenovo to release a BIOS update that can resolve this issue.

It would be unfortunate if Lenovo doesn't pay attention to this because this is not the first and definitely not the last post about this specific issue.

Lenovo, this has been going since last year. Please fix!

Options

35 Posts

12-14-2020

United States of America

16 Signins

225 Page Views

• Views: 225
  • Message 4 of 13

2020-12-29, 7:36 AM

Same issue here no way to disable RGB keyboard lighting during boot up. Why does the keyboard not have internal profiles/memory to save the last profile used in iCUE without requiring to log into windows and have software running?

Options

3 Posts

03-05-2021

United States of America

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 5 of 13

2021-03-05, 19:09 PM

It took me so long to figure this out, but I finally found a work-around. (Not a perfect solution, but it does eliminate the rainbow swirl on bootup).

I have a Legion Lenovo 7 (brand new - it's a replacement laptop since my 8-month old y540 suddenly starting having incessant BSOD issues), and I was so unhappy with the rainbow swirl on bootup AND with the battery drain that comes with ICUE (the RGB backlight management program). On forums, I saw folks suggesting uninstalling ICUE to stop the rainbow swirl on bootup. (instead, the laptop boots up with whatever mode you left the backlight in), as well as the battery life drain issue since ICUE was the culprit of that. However, with ICUE uninstalled, cycling through the fn + spacebar keys did not seem to provide an 'off' option for backlighting on this model laptop. THEN I REALIZED, if you hit fn key + up/down keys this changes the brightness of the backlighting. If you hit 'fn' + down arrow enough times it turns off completely. And this setting is saved upon bootup as long as ICUE is uninstalled. Voila!! No more rainbow vomit swirl on bootup and I don't have to run ICUE which kills battery. Of course, you can't use all the fun functions of ICUE with it uninstalled, but that is a Corsair problem and they really need to figure it out. At least Lenovo has the brightness options built-in. With all these problems I've had, I may never buy another Legion again. I'll probably stick to Thinkpad.

Hopefully, that helped some of you who may have been dealing with this pain. I know it took me awhile to find.

Options

44 Posts

04-23-2020

Yemen

69 Signins

715 Page Views

• Message 6 of 13

2021-03-05, 19:57 PM

Apparently, this doesn't seem to work with all Legion 7 laptops because my Legion 7i still persists to show the rainbow effect even if I lower keyboard backlight brightness with ICUE uninstalled.

Do you have the AMD version?

Options

3 Posts

03-05-2021

United States of America

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Message 7 of 13

2021-03-05, 21:25 PM

No, my Legion 7i has intel.

Options

44 Posts

04-23-2020

Yemen

69 Signins

715 Page Views

• Message 8 of 13

2021-03-05, 21:48 PM

Interesting. Have you upgraded your BIOS? What's your BIOS version?

Options

20 Posts

11-06-2019

Canada

19 Signins

224 Page Views

• Views: 224
  • Message 9 of 13

2021-03-05, 23:44 PM

The bios that the 7i shipped with initially had the RGB profile first by default, from my understanding. The y740 used to have the blue profile first on bios version 1.05 or 1.06. The Y740 could theoretically have been back flashed back to 1.05 (user has to downgrade their software to address lenovo's mistake). Furthermore, lenovo has ignored users requests to have the original blue light to be first, and ironically they have released at least 3 new bios updates since then.

I highly doubt they will do anything but now we have another problem where we can no longer undervolt and fan speeds are out of control. The best part is its been 2 MONTHS already since this issue was first reported and still nothing has been done.

Every big corporation makes mistakes, but not for dozens of months in a row. Lenovo is really turning into a shady company, even on your own forums you can't offer hundreds, if not thousands of upset customers even an update or an acknowledgement that your mistake will be corrected. 

Options

3 Posts

03-05-2021

United States of America

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Message 10 of 13

2021-03-06, 0:07 AM

I just updated BIOS once I received the laptop (in case that fixed the problem or allowed more options). I believe I have V4.07

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms