Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionGaming Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

09-29-2020

United States of America

9 Signins

125 Page Views

• Views: 125
  • Message 1 of 6

Legion 7i battery slowly drains when on AC power and gaming in performance mode??

2020-09-30, 5:29 AM

Hi There, I just got my legion 7i less than a week ago.  I notice when I'm playing a game, especially in performance mode, that the battery slowly drains even when the laptop is plugged in.  I've noticed several similar threads for other lenovo laptop products, but not for the legion 7i... in the older legion Y series it seemed to be fixed by a bios update, but I tried updating the bios and it didn't work - called tech support and they worked with me, and now they want to send out a tech.  Before he comes out, has anyone else noticed this behavior on the Legion 7i? any known fixes?   FYI I've seen the posts about the iCUE software and have disabled the appropriate services.   When on battery and not playing games, the battery life is decent.  It just seems strange to me that the battery would drain when the machine is plugged in... I'm also suspicious that this is a lenovo issue since they have other products that have the problem.... any info appreciated.  EDIT:  I only notice this when I have conservation mode ON and my battery is charged more than 60% (so that the conservation mode prevents the battery from charging).

Options

5 Posts

09-29-2020

United States of America

9 Signins

125 Page Views

• Message 2 of 6

Re:Legion 7i battery slowly drains when on AC power and gaming in performance mode??

2020-09-30, 23:19 PM

As a quick update - I found this post about a different Legion laptop (the Y530 series): https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Gaming-Laptops/Legion-Y530-battery-draining-during-gaming-while-plugged-in/m-p/4427275?page=1 It looks like there is potentially a "Hybrid Power design" which draws power from both the battery and the power brick in order to optimize performance ... according to the post, many gaming laptop companies are doing it... I cannot as of yet get confirmation that this is the situation with the legion 7i though, does anyone know?  Also if this is the case, is there a way to turn this feature off? or is not using performance mode the only way to "turn it off"?

Options

5 Posts

09-29-2020

United States of America

9 Signins

125 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

Re:Legion 7i battery slowly drains when on AC power and gaming in performance mode??

2020-10-05, 13:48 PM

As an update, in case anyone else is curious and running into this same issue,  this behavior also occurred in balance mode.  Technician came out and replaced the battery.  Issue persists. Told me to keep talking to lenovo support.  I plan to run some more tests and continue investigating.   I don't know if Lenovo support people read this thread, any information would be useful. 

Options

71 Posts

08-31-2020

United States of America

35 Signins

420 Page Views

• Views: 420
  • Message 4 of 6

2020-10-10, 1:17 AM

The end of your first post answered your own question. Conservation mode keeps your battery around 60% to lengthen the life of the battery. If you are over 60 then it will slowly discharge.

Options

5 Posts

09-29-2020

United States of America

9 Signins

125 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2020-10-10, 1:35 AM

Thanks for the reply! still having the issue, and I think it is more than just the discharge because the battery is not charging:

I did have a lenovo tech come out and change out the battery.  The battery does drain still, even when plugged in and when I turn off conservation mode so that the battery will charge to 100%. I'm seriously doubting it is the battery since the machine is brand new, and they just sent a tech out to replace my battery -- hard to believe I would have 2 bad batteries right out of the gate....  I suspect it is some sort of hybrid power design or whatever it is called when the laptop is designed to drain from the battery as well as A/C adapter... It would be nice to have someone verify it though.  

Options

1 Posts

03-30-2018

United States of America

25 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 6 of 6

2020-11-09, 0:02 AM

I have the same issue, when playing games. Even when not on performance mode the battery slowly drains . I even tried keeping fast charging on while gaming but its the same issue.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms