US

7 Signins

80 Page Views

• Views: 80
  • Message 1 of 5

Legion 7i battery workarounds.

2020-09-16, 5:58 AM

Hi all, 

I have since I got my first Legion 7i laptop with a faulty battery, I had to quickly do a lot of research and experience long waits for customer service. Eventually, since my machine was new and I got the insurance (THANK GOD FOR THAT. I'd advice everyone to get the premium insurance at least for the first year. Trust, I know you think you are getting a new machine and and if there's an issue, Lenovo has to fix it and fast and all that jazz, BUT, just trust me on this. You want to get the service and it's very cheap) I got my device replaced and the new one works as advertised. The issue with the old one was the battery and I have already posted here about that so and it's titled "Legion 7i battery drain" so you can read it for yourself. Anyway, after using this current machine for a bit, I have realized some of the things that Lenovo won't advertise on their page and since no one else have written about it, I thought I might as well do it and help new customers.

So, the deal with the battery is that it's actually pretty decent for a gaming laptop but if you are like me, you got this style of laptop because it looks normal enough to use as a regular system in class when the RGB is turned off. However, depending on the settings of the system, the battery can give you either 3 hours of non gaming use (classroom or office use) or 6 - 7 hours of the same non gaming use. Just so we are clear, if you use the laptop for gaming whileit is unplugged, you will get less than an hour and you can't even utilize the system to the max but I don't think it's worth going into that since its common knowledge. (The common knowledge is that gaming sucks great amounts of power which is why its always best to game while plugged in to get the best performance from your machine)

Anyway, so, when you open the Lenovo Vantage app on your pc, in the Lenovo Edge section, there is an option  called Hybrid mode that you can toggle on and off. When on hybrid mode, it uses the weaker onboard Intel GPU primarily for most of the things you may be doing on the PC and then switches to the Nvidia Graphics card while you are gaming. Now on the Hybrid mode setting, since the its using the Intel GPU, the power draw is quite minimal. I actually tested this. With the Hybrid Mode ON, RBG OFF but the screen on maximum brightness, I was able to get 6-7 hours of active use. This means, browsing  with multiple tabs open, MS Word open and multiple PDFs open in Acrobat reader (If it's not obvious, I'm a grad student ;) ). Now if i were to reduce the screen brightness, I reckon i could even use it for much longer. Hey, I'm not saying 6-7 hours is the best on the market but for a gaming system, that's pretty good. However, when Hybrid Mode is off, the system uses only the Nvidia GPU and this draws a lot more power and here, I got only about 3 hours on a full charge and here, running all the above apps will drain the battery faster as well. Now, you should also know that plugging things like a wireless mouse or a cooling fan while the laptop is unplugged will also drain the battery faster whether Hybrid mode is on or off.

Personally, what I do is use hybrid mode when I go to class and when I return and I want to relax by shooting Cabal in Destiny 2, I just turn off hybrid mode. This involves just going to the Lenovo Vantage app and clicking on the toggle from on to off. Well, actually, it will tell you to restart the machine for the new settings to take effect so once it's finished that, I can gaming at max settings for all my games.

So that's it, I'm going to sleep. Later people.

Options

7 Posts

08-25-2020

DE

7 Signins

50 Page Views

• Views: 50
  • Message 2 of 5

Re:Legion 7i battery workarounds.

2020-09-16, 20:08 PM

I didnt get it. 

Can you explain why you dont keep the hybrid mode "on"? 

If its on and you start a game, the game will use the Geforce GPU not the iGPU from intel automatacly. You dont need to turn it off.

Do you think its necessary to shutdown the iCue software or its enough just to turn off the lights?

icue has many tasks in the taskmanager, not just the main application.

Options

11 Posts

09-03-2020

US

7 Signins

80 Page Views

• Views: 80
  • Message 3 of 5

2020-09-17, 4:11 AM

Yes, the pc can switch automatically but I noticed that it doesn't always do that with some games. NBA 2K21 for example. Also, HDR worked completely differently which I turned off Hybrid mode. In Forza Horizon 4, with HDR ON, I couldn't see the texts in the settings. but when Hybrid mode was off, I could see it clearly.

Also, about the iCue software, it is defective and drains your battery. It runs from start up and even when you turn it off, it still drains your battery. So my advice is simply uninstall it until you hear that it's been fixed. Once the software is off your system, the battery should work normally. Also, even with the iCue software removed, you will still be able to do basic functions like adjust the brightness and also turn the RGB on and off with the FN + UP/DOWN.

Options

7 Posts

08-25-2020

DE

7 Signins

50 Page Views

• Views: 50
  • Message 4 of 5

2020-09-17, 8:23 AM

which model you bought exactly? 

yesterday i turned off all icue prozesses and i double the energy life of my book, thats good. 

Options

16 Posts

04-27-2020

US

12 Signins

125 Page Views

• Views: 125
  • Message 5 of 5

2020-09-28, 15:18 PM

If you wish to restore your battery life and also retain the ability to use the keyboard lighting features, you can simply do the following instead of uninstalling the iCUE software:

-Press Windows key + R.

-Type services.msc and press enter to open up the Services snap-in.

-Scroll down to the C's and locate three Corsair services (Corsair Gaming Audio Configuration, Corsair LLA Service, Corsair Service).

-Right click each service and select properties.

-Change start up type value to disabled.

-Press Apply.

-Press the Stop button to stop the service.

This will disable to polling process that runs every couple of seconds that causes the CPU to burst to max clock rate and eat up your battery. The settings will persist through each reboot, but bear in mind, if you update the iCUE software through the utility you will have to perform the above actions again, as the update process enables the services again.

Hope this helps.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete