Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
l_jerry3388
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 560
Message 1 of 15

Legion Y520-15IKBA Laptop (Lenovo) - Type 80WY: I am having framerate issues.

So in the past few months or so I have been having mind boggling frame rate issues for no real reason. I recently updated my drivers and checked again a few minutes ago to make sure that was not the issue. All my drivers are up to date.

So for example, this morning I was playing League of Legends and CSGO and getting 150-200 FPS, but all of a sudden randomly in another game a few hours later, I started to get 20 FPS. This is an issue that has been plaguing me for the past few months. Usually I just let it sit and log off and eventually it magically fixes itself and I get my frames back, but now I am looking for a more permanent fix because it gets really frustrating.

As a side note, I am not changing any settings throughout this process, which is why it is so confusing to me.

If anyone could shed some light, that would be amazing, thank you.

Guru
Views: 512
Message 2 of 15

Re: Legion Y520-15IKBA Laptop (Lenovo) - Type 80WY: I am having framerate issues.

Is your laptop overheating? You should use Intel's Extreme Tuning Utility or Throttlestop to check your temperatures, if they're too hot the laptop will cut back performance to cool down.

If that's the issue, then you should try undervolting.
l_jerry3388
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 475
Message 3 of 15

Re: Legion Y520-15IKBA Laptop (Lenovo) - Type 80WY: I am having framerate issues.

Thanks for responding LeLouch

Guru
Views: 458
Message 4 of 15

Are you keeping it plugged in? Are there background tasks sucking up CPU power (check with task manager)?

Try this: Right click the battery icon in the task bar, go to power options, change plan settings, change advanced power settings, and go to "processor power management". Set the minimum and maximum processor state to 100% (also make sure that your fans are cranked up when you play since it might get a bit toasty). See if your FPS still drops.

You should still keep track of your temperatures to be safe. When it gives low fps from the start vs when it gives you low fps while playing could be separate issues.

Also, if the issue magically fixes itself after you leave the laptop for a bit, that makes it more likely that it's a heating issue. If you game for hours at a time, heat starts to "build up". So I still recommend you check the temperatures with throttlestop or Intel's XTU
l_jerry3388
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 427
Message 5 of 15

Hey, thanks for helping me, I really appreciate it. I altered my processor power settings as you recommended. Unfortunately, nothing seems to be working thus far. I'm actually experiencing the loss in frames rn, as I just turned on my laptop. The laptop is really cool right now. CPU is at 8-15% without a game running. 

Guru
Views: 423
Message 6 of 15

Check how much CPU is being used when a game is open. Also, note the clock speed it's running at (measured in ghz).

The low FPS is throughout all your games, right? Not one in particular?

Check your Nvidia Control Panel settings, make sure they are optimized to your liking. Certain aspects may decrease performance significantly, sometimes even within certain parts of a game (where there may be more for the computer to render based on the game and the settings).

Worst case scenario, if all else fails, reinstall Windows. And if that doesn't work, the computer itself might be faulty.
l_jerry3388
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 393
Message 7 of 15

I was running League of Legends and the CPU didn't go above 15%. I did notice that Chrome being open took 50% of my memory, if that matters at all.

Yes, FPS declines in all my games. Really it seems the performance of my PC slows down entirely, as programs like Photoshop slow down as well.

I can't seem to find my Nvidia Control Panel, how do I access it? Which actually leads me to think maybe I deleted something I needed on accident and that is causing my weird problems?

Guru
Views: 387
Message 8 of 15

Right click your desktop, you should see "Nvidia Control Panel" as an option.

I'd close down any other applications while playing, and Chrome tends to eat a lot of memory. I don't know how much memory League of Legends needs, but if it's not finding any RAM left to store data on, your FPS will suffer.

Also, does this performance drop come after turning the laptop on from Hibernate?
l_jerry3388
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 376
Message 9 of 15

I have Intel and AMD graphics settings when I right click. As far as I know those are optimized. I haven't made any changes that would warrant the random periods of FPS drops anyways. I think I may opt to back up all my files and reset my computer.

I don't have a hibernate option, so usually it drops when I turn it back on.

Guru
Views: 371
Message 10 of 15

I see. Then yea, resetting is a good idea. If the issue persists, it'll either be a BIOS or physical issue.

Let me know what happens.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors