Did you mean: 
Highlighted
stefan93
Paper Tape
Views: 159
Message 1 of 4

Legion Y520 15IKBN suddenly started lagging

Hello,

I have this laptop for a year now and it always was performing well. Never had any problems with it, games were running smooth and all was good... until yesterday. I was doing my ussual rutine, and noticed that for some reason I coudn't watch a 1080p stream, it was lagging very much(and it wasn't because of the internet), which never happened before. Tried watching youtube in 1080p which was also lagging. Then I noticed that not only I can't watch anything in HD anymore but also all the apps were starting very slow, even video files from my hard drive were lagging. And it was becoming worse and worse. At one point opening my gmail took me 30-50sec, which before was basically instant. Everything was going REALLY SLOW all of a sudden.

After some research I tried to defrag my SSD which went from 42% fragmentaion to 6%. After this it became a bit better, but still didn't feel like the lag was gone. Now the laptop is usable at least, but the lag still persists. Can't play games because the fps is 20 when before it was running at 55-60. Can't watch streams in 1080p and gmail still loads more than it should. What could be causing this?

Things that I've tried:

-defraging C: drive

-checking for nvidia driver updates

-scanning C: and repairing(didnt show any errors though) 

-starting in safe mode (the lag persisted)

DxDiag report: https://pastebin.com/HgHKaxgH

CataF
802.11n
Views: 114
Message 2 of 4

Re: Legion Y520 15IKBN suddenly started lagging

donwload intel extreme tunning utility and check the max frequency. Is it capped at a certain frequency ? dos it go all the way up to 3ghz ? if not shut down the laptop, unplug it and keep the power button pressed for 45 seconds after this start the laptop and check the frewuency again

stefan93
Paper Tape
Views: 97
Message 3 of 4

I did what you told me and it actually worked ! The max frequecy was capped at 0.8GHz. Any ideas why would this happen?

In any case thank you ! The laptop is back to normal

CataF
802.11n
Views: 82
Message 4 of 4

not sure but the y520 has this problem , it gets cappet after win update/bios update

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors