Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionGaming Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

06-13-2018

Romania

5 Signins

51 Page Views

• Views: 51
  • Message 1 of 2

Legion Y520 NVMe issue

2018-06-13, 5:27 AM

So I got my Y520 a month ago and upgraded the RAM and got an Adata SX8200 240GB 3D NAND NVMe 1.3 SSD which is a really fast and cheap SSD, got it for like 100$.
Installed it on my laptop and already had issues setting up in the BIOS but after reading a bit I learned what to do, so finally the SSD is working but not all the time.
Installed Windows 10 64x on it and when it't working it's super good, but sometimes my system crashes and restarts, but the first restart always fails, only the second goes through, during the first restart it looks as if my laptop couldn't detect the SSD so it tought there's no OS installed, anyway I got used to this so I thought it's fine as long as the SSD works on the second restart, but that didn't last long, a couple days ago as I was intalling a game on my SSD from an external USB 3.0 HDD, my system crashes and all my data was gone, restarted my laptop so many times but I always noticed something, it gets stuck on the Lenovo logo screen for a long time before going on to tell me that there's no OS installed on it, so I wondered if I removed the SSD what will happen, I removed it and my laptop doesn't get stuck at the Lenovo logo screen anymore, it quickly tells me that there's no OS on it.
I removed the SSD and installed Windows 10 64x on my slow terrible HDD, updated all the drivers and everything is good, then thought to check the SSD once again, put it in and as always, my laptop gets stuck at the Lenovo logo screen, then after a couple minutes continues to Windows 10, inside Windows I check device manager and I see that there is a sign in front of Standard NVM Express Controller (shown in the picture), I click on its properties and I see this message :

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

An I/O adapter hardware error has occurred.

Then I turn off my laptop and remove the SSD again and restart and check device manager again, this time there's no yellow signs anywhere and the Standard NVM Express Controller isn't even shown there, now I conclude that either the SSD is faulty or the NVMe port is faulty, meaning the motherboard needs to be replaced or something.

So which one is it in your expert opinion, is it the SSD or the port ?

N.B. : I already upgraded my BIOS before ever buying an SSD and had no issues back then, but I might try downgrading at some point.

Options

3 Posts

06-13-2018

Romania

5 Signins

51 Page Views

• Views: 51
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Legion Y520 NVMe issue

2018-06-13, 20:14 PM

Although I think the SSD is faulty but I still need some expert advice, please help !

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms