Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionGaming Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

10-15-2017

United States of America

9 Signins

69 Page Views

• Views: 69
  • Message 1 of 8

Legion Y520 constantly freezes and locks up

2017-10-15, 15:09 PM

I've had my Legion for about four or five months now.  At first, it was great.  Super speedy and responsive to all my needs without any problems.  As time has gone on though, it's slowly become more and more crappy.  It's seems becoming slower at opening and closing programs, it freezes up for no apparent reason (sometimes for so long that I finally have to just do a hard reset), and is generally becoming a fussy piece of trash that I should never have wasted my money on.

I have updated everything I can update, whether it is drivers or software, and I've trolled every internet post I could find to try and figure what was causing the lagginess and the freezing.  I've tried everything and I'm really, really sick of it.  I new comp is supposed to work, not turn into an unreliable piece of trash after only a few months of ownership.

Very disappointed in Lenovo right now and very frustrated that I can't run down this problem as it keeps getting worse.

It seems that I am not alone with this problem as it's number three on the trending problems list in the Lenovo support section (which, for the record has also been a less than stellar experience).   I'm curious if there is a real solution for this problem or if it's all just platitudes and copy/paste solutions that don't actually answer questions or solve problems with this product.

Laughncat
--------------------------------------
Legion Y520-15IKBN Signature Edition / Windows 10 / Intel Core I7-0077HQ CPU @2.8GHz / RAM 16GB / NiVidia GeForce w/ 4 Gigs VRAM / 256SSD - 2TB HD
Options

12662 Posts

11-30-2015

Philippines

7264 Signins

749425 Page Views

• Views: 749425
  • Message 2 of 8

Re: Legion Y520 constantly freezes and locks up

2017-10-16, 14:03 PM

Hi Laughncat,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Having you mentioned that you have the same freeze up even after a factory reset and with all drivers and BIOS updated, then it would be proper to run hardware diagnostics and call in technical support especially if you have error findings in the test.

Such would help point out what seems to cause the problem and appropriate repair to be made.

Hope this helps answer your query.

Update us how it goes.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

5 Posts

10-15-2017

United States of America

9 Signins

69 Page Views

• Message 3 of 8

2017-10-17, 23:54 PM

Spidey101,

Your reply is not quite correct.  I apologize if my first post was unclear on one particular point, but I have not done a full factory reset.  It is the one thing I have been trying to avoid doing as it would require me to back up a lot of data and reinstall a lot of stuff.  Again, as I stated, I just bought this computer within the last six months, I should not have to completely wipe it and reinstall everything to just get it to run properly.  That is ridiculous and extremely frustrating to have to even contemplate.

As for your other point, I have done a quick diagnostic and it came back problem free.  I have done filechecks, hard drive scans, etc.  I've done it and always...nothing.  Just my computer locking up on me more and more as my unhappiness grows.

All in all, this is a very frustrating situation to be in.

Laughncat
Legion Y520-15IKBN Signature Edition / Windows 10 / Intel Core I7-0077HQ CPU @2.8GHz / RAM 16GB / NiVidia GeForce w/ 4 Gigs VRAM / 256SSD - 2TB HD
Options

12662 Posts

11-30-2015

Philippines

7264 Signins

749425 Page Views

• Views: 749425
  • Message 4 of 8

2017-10-18, 0:39 AM

Hi Laughncat,

Greetings.

Similar to previously posted discussions here and here, for the sake of isolation since hardware test passed, a factory default is an image certified to work on the machine without any Windows addon or 3rd party applications.

You ought to back up your files just the same as losing them can be even more frustrating.

As hard as it is now to have confidence when it freezes not knowing if the data are properly saved or not, I would suggest the same action plan then to proceed calling technical support while the warranty is active if the issue persists.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

4 Posts

12-27-2017

United States of America

5 Signins

28 Page Views

• Views: 28
  • Message 5 of 8

2017-12-27, 5:53 AM

I'm bringing mine out to the shooting range tomorrow! I've had mine for a day! I can't use mine for more than 10 minutes without it crashing. Tech support is no help, store I bought it from is no help and I've already done a factory reset. Lenovo is a trash company will never buy their products again 1100 wasted. 

Options

5 Posts

10-15-2017

United States of America

9 Signins

69 Page Views

• Message 6 of 8

2017-12-28, 1:09 AM

My laptop died two weeks after I did the full factory reset that was suggested.  I have now been without a working version of my laptop for two months.  I am on my third attempt to get it repaired as it has been returned to me with twice with multiple problems including a bad motherboard (wouldn't power down properly after first "repair."), a bad replacement hard drive, and corrupted Windows 10 installs (multiple times.)  If you can return this laptop, run, don't walk, RUN back to where ever you bought it and get your refund ASAP.  Even if the laptop is decent, the service from Lenovo has been HORRIBLE.

Laughncat
Options

31 Posts

02-17-2018

Poland

49 Signins

694 Page Views

• Views: 694
  • Message 7 of 8

2019-08-27, 21:42 PM
Did you find solution?
Options

5 Posts

10-15-2017

United States of America

9 Signins

69 Page Views

• Message 8 of 8

2019-08-27, 23:07 PM

No.  It got so bad that they finally had to just replace my laptop with another version just to get rid of me.  Overall, the experience was so bad that even with the replacement, I won't buy from Lenovo again or ever recommend them to anyone else.

Laughncat
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms