Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aziris
Paper Tape
Views: 3,498
Message 1 of 8

Legion Y520 display port not working well

My laptop is Lenove Legion Y520-IKBM with nVidia 1060 video card.

There is a HDMI and mini-displayport available on this device.

I can get HDMI work well, but cannot have proper communication via mini-displayport.

I have Asus ROG PG278VQ monitor which connected to my desktop PC works well on "displayport-to-displayport" cable (provided with monitor).

When I want to connect to Y520 laptop, I have to use "displayport-to-mini displayport" adapter on same cable (that is cable + adapter).

It does not work as far as I have tried it.

These are simptoms I am getting:

screen freezes on laptop as soon as cable is connected

sometimes "freeze" lets go again

sometimes stays frozen until I disconnect cable or cycle screen duplication modes with Fn+F10 keys

Less regularly I see (win10) notification pop-up that G-sync is enabled and when checking NVIDIA Control Panel I can see that propper monitor has been detected (name), but still no way to get signal out on screen

What I have tried:

the famosou disconnect everything and wait 5 min method (no changes)

Disabling integrated graphics card to use 1060 exclusively - total fail, as in Bios I have not found that option !

the BIOS settings are actually very boring, almost no configurability there !

Can the combination of DP-to-DP cable with DP-to-mDP adapter work at all ?

I heard that there is no difference in cables and adapters for DP devices, the 1.1 and 1.2 etc cables do not exist, its only the protocols and port implementation thats changing...  Or I could have got the wrong spec adapter ?

BR,
Maris

Guru
Views: 3,476
Message 2 of 8

Re: Legion Y520 display port not working well

I presume you already did, but I do have to ask: have you updated the Nvidia drivers?
====================================
I'm an INsider - not a Lenovo employee.
You can find me in gaming, Ideapad and Thinkpad forums most of the time.
Aziris
Paper Tape
Views: 3,467
Message 3 of 8

Hi,

I had the drivers pretty fresh (laptop is 2 months in my posession), but I checked for updates and there was new drivers released yesterday Smiley Happy

Updated and now have minor changes, probably even worse than before - laptop screen turns black no matter what screen duplication options are used.

So it does not solve the problem Smiley Sad

But stll the windows sometimes throws out notification about connected G-Sync monitor

Guru
Views: 3,448
Message 4 of 8

In a way that's a good thing. We saw a change which means it most likely is related to GPU and its drivers.

Please try to roll back the driver to earlier version. you could try to check Lenovos support site to check what version of drivers they use (manufacturers drivers are usually bit older than the ones from hardware provider). Going simply to the driver released before those 2 months might not be the most precise solution but also could help.
Aziris
Paper Tape
Views: 3,430
Message 5 of 8

Hi to all...

Found a problem - that was DP-to-DP usage with DP-to-miniDP adapter, in general the adapter.

This site lies : https://www.displayport.org/cables/how-to-choose-a-displayport-cable-and-not-get-a-bad-one/

They say there is no difference in DP cables, apparently there is, as my adapter was marked as DP 1.1 and replacing this setup with Lenovo 0B47091 cable (DP1.2) worked instantly !

Also in shop where I bought adapter, I got told same story - dont worry, its all the same.. (good thing I can return the adapter).

Ok last option is that adapter was somewhat damaged (still showing connection of G-Sync monitor ?)

M.

Guru
Views: 3,409
Message 6 of 8

I'm glad you were able to resolve this problem.

Always be wary of third party accessories! I'm not advising against them but everyone should be aware there are some that are not built to the right standard (intentionally or not).

I had a similar story with a dual-link DVI cable, which I needed for a 3d Vision screen (that was years ago). I bought expensive and high-quality (apparently) cable and I was getting screen full of artifacts, which were red dots scattered all over the screen. Ended up returning it after I found out I had a spare lying around, and it was working perfectly fine! And that was just a stock cable I got with a different screen.
jajon
What's DOS?
Views: 1,863
Message 7 of 8

Hey, I still have the same problem. I bought cable DP-miniDP 1.2 which is supposed to support 144Hz at my resolution, but my laptop doesnt detect my monitor through DP-miniDP cable, just HDMI, which works poorly.

Aziris
Paper Tape
Views: 1,846
Message 8 of 8

Try to test with defferent cable or your new cable on defferent device, still chance that cable might bet bad.

Also.. check your monitor, it most probably has a switch in settings or physical one which input to use HDMI or DP

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors