Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TobiasPSP
What's DOS?
Views: 4,626
Message 1 of 13

Legion Y520 freezes on idle (Win10)

We use 5 Legion Y520 for video capturing and noticed on all of them random freezes when nothing particular was done with the systems (more or less idle). All updates are installed.

When a freeze occurs, the external video output goes black, and the system is completely unresponsive and needs a hard reset.

Is this a known issue, and are there updates to address this?

GafGaf
SCSI Port
Views: 4,523
Message 2 of 13

Re: Legion Y520 freezes on idle (Win10)

@TobiasPSP wrote:

We use 5 Legion Y520 for video capturing and noticed on all of them random freezes when nothing particular was done with the systems (more or less idle). All updates are installed.

When a freeze occurs, the external video output goes black, and the system is completely unresponsive and needs a hard reset.

Is this a known issue, and are there updates to address this?

Check power management additional settings, your HDD or SSD could be turned off during idle mode

dalulz
Paper Tape
Views: 4,418
Message 3 of 13

Have almost the same problem. Legion Y520 have been freezing from day one.

Not a black screen, just freezes whatever was on the screen ATM; the music stops, coolers stop, etc.

At first, it has been crashing in games only. I bought a stand with cooler and it didn't help.

So it's not overheating for sure.

Now I get this freezes almost everywhere at least once a day, even when just working/browsing Google Chrome.
Changed SSD supply settings and it didn't work. Have to hard reboot it every time, gets very annoying.

What can I do to fix this?

Guru
Views: 4,390
Message 4 of 13

Can you please try opening "CMD" with admin privileges and running the following command -

sfc /scannow

If there are no errors, then please run a memtest.

If that is also fine, then how about you reset your laptop to factory settings, just update windows and don't install too many third party applications and see if it freezes?

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
dalulz
Paper Tape
Views: 4,379
Message 5 of 13

Thank you. The memtest is fine.

However, sfc /scannow stops on 26% and finds some broken data, refers to CBS.log

Seems like I have to reinstall windows and lose all the settings.

How do I  reset my laptop to factory settings?

Guru
Views: 4,361
Message 6 of 13

To Reset your laptop, please follow this guidebook (Pg 17) -

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/legion_y520-15ikba_ug_en_201706.pdf

I will recommend that you begin the Reset process from "Windows PC Settings" and try "Keep my Files" option first. This process should be quick and you can check if the problem persists.

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
ZacTH
Paper Tape
Views: 2,947
Message 7 of 13

Hey Tobias!

I had the exact same problem with freezing on my Y520. In fact, mine froze a few times a day while performing small tasks like watching Youtube or going through school work. And for some reason, it only froze while powered with the charging cable.

Went down to my local Lenovo Service Centre once, and was told it could be a hard disk or SSD issue. However, after one servicing which involved replacing my SSD, the freezing still persisted. 

Go down to your local Lenovo Service Centre and tell them to test it by seeing if it freezes while on idle and connected to the charging cable. If it does freeze in their tests, there is a very high chance it could be a motherboard issue. Got my laptop back 2 days ago after a second servicing (motherboard replacement) and it hasn't frozen on me since. 

w10sucks
What's DOS?
Views: 2,876
Message 8 of 13

lol you're pretty stuck up aren't you? Asking people to NOT install 3rd paty software??? Tell me, you got creative apps that can accomplish tasks that I do with Adobe CC apps? 

ZacTH
Paper Tape
Views: 2,871
Message 9 of 13

Bruh w10sucks, you high? Get off what you're smoking. Did you read my suggestion properly? I never said anything about not installing third party apps. 

Mogens64
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,892
Message 10 of 13

Well my legion y 520 also have been freezing more or less from day one. I have run all tests several times with no problems monitored. Have reset it several times with no results. Have fresh reinstalled W10 several times with no result. It freezes only when charging and does it 5+ times every hour and as it is my working PC its really not so good to say the least. Beside i have had keyboard problems from day one. 1. the g and e keys did not work. Now it is the t,y,o,2 and fn key that doenst work. I'm really happy with this computer and recommend it to everyone i not like.

I'm Danish but live in Thailand so i had my friend bring it to me from Denmark so it has danish keyboard and for some reason that meens no IWS i found out. The other way around there would have been IWS. Suppose thats because the Lenovo's sold in Denmark are 

crappy :-(

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors