Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionGaming Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

05-24-2018

United States of America

2 Signins

26 Page Views

• Views: 26
  • Message 1 of 1

Legion Y520 laptop hard drives getting fried

2018-05-24, 19:52 PM

I've had my Y520 laptop for about 9-10 months. Recently, I started it up after not being used for a couple days and the secondary hard drive was not found by windows or the BIOS. Using a Live Linux distribution could not locate the drive either. I noticed a faint, intermittent, short buzzing noise and investigated further. I removed the drive and hooked it up to an external adapter. Still nothing. However, the buzz was clearly coming from the drive and the adapter LED would flash during the buzzing noise. I opened the drive to find the read/write head had magnetically locked very tightly to the platter and eventually tore away from the arm and remained stuck hard to the platter. 

I bought a new drive and replaced it in the laptop then performed a clean restore. The following day,  I woke the system from sleep mode and began hearing the telltale buzz along with the message that my secondary drive could not be located. 

Any chance this is repairable beyond a motherboard replacement?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms